California shuts down

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by callihan_44, Jul 13, 2020.

1. jcm3

jcm3 G22 4 Me

Therein lies the problem. If we stay locked down, the livelihoods for many will be lost.

Think about that for a minute. Imagine you had your life savings invested in a business, and you lost that business because some government bureaucrat decided that we should all say home so that we can protect a very tiny subset of our working population (the elderly). You lost your business, your retirement (because your business was your retirement), your home, and your kids were now stressed out because you couldn't help them with their education. You were looking for a place to rent, although that was tough because you may or may not have first and last month's rent, an unbelievable situation for you a year back when you had a home and a good cash flow. For millions, that is a certainty or has already happened.

Yet, getting Covid is not a certainty, and even if you get it, dying is not a certainty by any means. So, the downside of shutting down is that millions will lose everything financially, yet have a very low risk of contracting Covid.

If you're old, then play it safe. But, if you're younger (people under 55 represent only 7% of all deaths, and many of those are probably obese, diabetic and in poor health) and represent most of the working class, then you should not be told what to do by a government official whose job is not at risk.

I can see both sides, but in spite of that, still don't feel that the government should be able to pick winners and losers. I have yet to hear about any hospital or medical facility that is overrun by Covid patients, although that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

2. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

Stop voting for Democrats.

GSX42, pjanthony, TxDave and 3 others like this.

3. fastbolt

fastbolt

https://www.foxnews.com/us/la-protests-linked-to-covid-spike-garcetti

Then ...
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/me...os-angeles-county-linked-protests/ar-BB15WLfG

You also have to take into consideration the number of people and exposures that may well have resulted from people flooding to beaches, bars and other public venues ... and, of course, all of the protests, riots, etc.

GlockEm and KindOfBlue like this.
  4. thespork

thespork

False dichotomy...
    Your are saying we're required to let this run rampant or face doom and gloom...
    If you handle the outbreak intelligently you don't have to stay down forever.

Look at Germany... A country of 80+ million people..
    They had about 600 new cases yesterday...
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/r...rebounds-quickly-as-lockdowns-ease-2020-06-03

Florida (30 mill roughly) 15000+

This can be handled... It just takes a modicum maturity on behalf of the citizenry and the government...

Yep, we're ****ed

5. callihan_44

callihan_44 INFIDEL

Just heard cities are already looking at increasing taxes to make up for tax revenue shortfall... we have yet to fully see the economic ramifications of all of this

faceplant, DonGlock26, Bus007 and 3 others like this.
  6. Taz

Taz

How soon before he is asking for federal $$$ like those ding bats from MN?

Hope the feds have the balls to say no.

Quijibo likes this.
  7. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

8. Bradley T

Bradley T

By now you've either recovered, died or were somehow immune to it. I don't believe you can go anywhere it hasn't already been. I don't think masking and distancing and strangling what's left of American business is accomplishing anything. Remember when we were "flattening the curve?" Well it's pretty well flat line now. This is all a bunch of silliness til the next wave of riots.
    That Fauci was on about how this will be harped up like the 1918 flu in fifty years- he's damned proud of what he has done!

hurley842002 and ExecutiveWill like this.
  9. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

I hope more people learn this simple yet incredibly valuable lesson.

Yep. This is one of the biggest and most tyrannical hypocrisies of government that I've ever seen. If the courts won't put a stop to this then the citizens of California must, through violence if necessary. It's about time for the rational people of Kali to hoist the black flag.

Jim, please tell us how you really feel.

ExecutiveWill and jimcorbin like this.
  10. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

California is lost.
    Biden wins in November.
    China moves into Cali February 1.
    Why do you think they just vaccinated their military?
    Get out, if you can (unless you're a Democrat, in which case, stay put and get what's coming to you.)

ExecutiveWill likes this.
  11. bdcochran

bdcochran

My HMO and the biggest competitor do not accept patients other than virus infected and people bleeding out. Everything thing else - from office visit to treatment, to hospitalization to surgery is "elective".

That is the county mandate. Then it gets worse. When my girlfriend finally got in, she was given a surgical appointment a month off, no pain medication could be taken within 10 days of surgery. Now, it appears, if you are detected to have the virus when you check in, no surgery. 2 weeks to go. So, in my humble estimation, the system is already overwhelmed. We have 900 beds remaining in the county for virus people and they will probably be gone by mid August. Given that 50-80% put on ventilators will die anyway, there will be some slack in that estimate.

12. Wayward Son

Wayward Son

That is bad indeed but these shutdowns will also increase the death total.
    antibodies that give people that have had the china virus immunity only last 2-3months. Now those people that got this virus early on have lost their immunity and contracting this virus a second time elevates your chances of dying.
    We need to open everything up and let this virus run its course

13. Gundude

Gundude

The legacy of this chapter of history will be one of old people sacrificing young people in order to save themselves.

HarlDane and Bus007 like this.
  14. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Baby boomers have been sacrificing the future of their descendants for years so moving on to actually sacrificing them should not come as a surprise.

15. Biggy1

Biggy1

No federal $$$$$$$$$$$$$ to bail out California. I‘m sure all the brainy
    smart ass politicians will figure their way out of it by raises the taxes even higher on all the GD brain dead Democrat voters who put them in power.

16. bdcochran

bdcochran

I will rephrase it.
    1. Coin a phony phrase "we're all in it together".
    2. Parade a politician or a medical doctor on television who will resist admitting that there are priorities and some people will have to be sacrificed.
    3. The politician and the doctor do not want criticism for one death and stress humanitarian concerns and not discuss severe economic consequences.

It is absolutely not the old sacrificing the young. Read the Chicago study that 80% of the deaths were of people with two or more serious underlying conditions. Los Angeles County allows in hospital treatments, surgeries only for bleed outs and people having the virus today. If you are older and need surgery, you will be delayed effective examinations, treatments and surgeries. I am over 70. My girlfriend is in another HMO. How about a reluctant surgery scheduled a month out but you aren't allowed to take pain medication. How about two weeks before you can have an e-visit when you need pain medication, an MRI and surgery - age does not matter.

17. EOS

EOS National Capitalist

He’s already got several lawsuits against him at this point. I’ve not been complying with his mask mandate and I won’t be.

He’s not our daddy. I won’t be lectured to like a child or have something held over my head to control my behavior. I dare that POS to shut us down again. It will only add to the disdain for him.

18. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

Sometimes you have to hoist the Jolly Roger and start slitting throats.

ExecutiveWill likes this.
  19. fastbolt

fastbolt

Or .... some young people willingly sacrificing older people because they're tired of being stuck in their homes and they just want to get back out and have fun.

20. 9XX19mm

9XX19mm