GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Unfair Facist
23,418 Posts
The guy just wanted some batting practice!!!

And instead of tossing him a few pitches the mean cops shot him!!!

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
This has been and will continue to increase as elected DAs are political first, legally focused second.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I have zero problems with him shooting that guy. I cannot imagine any prosecutor thinking they can get a conviction unless they stack a jury with BLM jurors.
And crap like charges in this case do FAR more harm to police morale than a riot or ten.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
I have zero problems with him shooting that guy. I cannot imagine any prosecutor thinking they can get a conviction unless they stack a jury with BLM jurors.
And crap like charges in this case do FAR more harm to police morale than a riot or ten.
I agree.

This will make good cops leave because why chance your freedom and family’s well being on a unwarranted prosecution over a justified shooting. Some cops actually enjoy the chaos of the riots. No cop wants to think they’d be railroaded on a justified shooting.

·
NRA member
804 Posts
I’d say it’s justified. Even if the bat weren’t a deadly weapon, it’s likely to disarm the officer, which to my understanding, the officer is also allowed to defend against, but please correct me if I’m wrong.
The last thing this situation would need is the bat wielder to have a weapons upgrade.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
I’d say it’s justified. Even if the bat weren’t a deadly weapon, it’s likely to disarm the officer, which to my understanding, the officer is also allowed to defend against, but please correct me if I’m wrong.
The last thing this situation would need is the bat wielder to have a weapons upgrade.
The disarming is irrelevant In this circumstance. The bat is a deadly weapon. Same as if he had a knife, gun, metal pipe etc. Bats can do a lot of damage.

my exhibit would be to take the bat held by the suspect and hit a watermelon in the courtroom. Then ask the cop “Is this what you thought could happen to you?” “Yes.”

·
NRA member
804 Posts
The disarming is irrelevant In this circumstance. The bat is a deadly weapon. Same as if he had a knife, gun, metal pipe etc. Bats can do a lot of damage.

my exhibit would be to take the bat held by the suspect and hit a watermelon in the courtroom. Then ask the cop “Is this what you thought could happen to you?”

“Yes.”
My point was in addition to it being a deadly weapon, perhaps I wrote it out poorly.

eta: I did write it out in a poor manner.

·
Registered
74,463 Posts
A solid hit to the skull with a baseball bat is akin to a 12ga to the head.

Reactions: Lt. Donn and TBO

·
NRA member
804 Posts
My point was in addition to it being a deadly weapon, perhaps I wrote it out poorly.

eta: I did write it out in a poor manner.
I’m speaking from my frame of reference, setting aside the bodily threat, there was the duty to protect his weapon.
As a Marine in country if an individual threatened our weapon or tried to take it we could shoot them, so that’s my frame of reference. So for me the officer was justified for two reasons to shoot is what I was trying to say.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Interestingly enough, we had a local officer smashed in the head with a softball bat at a riot. What save him from a TBI or worse was the helmet he wore (cracked to the core and ultimately destroyed). Bats are frequently used to beat people to a coma or death.

·
Registered
27,184 Posts
“The issue was going to be, did he attempt to de-escalate the situation before using lethal force, and the answer is most assuredly he did,” said Fletcher’s attorney Michael Rains outside court Tuesday.
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2...cher-steven-taylor-fatal-shooting-in-custody/

The officer has an excellent attorney representing him. Longtime practice representing peace officers in cases.

In the meantime, perhaps this is an opportunity for the city or county to lead the way in creating a team of mental health advocates to be dispatched to such calls, instead of police. No need to send people with badges and guns in response to calls involving troubled persons. Start letting mental health providers respond and de-escalate things in such situations. The mental health first responders can always assess the effectiveness of de-escalation techniques, and later call to request police presence if they feel it's needed, right?

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
The guy just wanted some batting practice!!!

And instead of tossing him a few pitches the mean cops shot him!!!

The Officer pitched. Once. Beaned him. Free walk to first.

Reactions: Dragoon44

·
Private side
11,392 Posts
Bat, in this case, could be used as a weapon but since a weapon is not its primary function, I believe it would be considered a deadly instrument.

Not much difference in the punishment for using it, but the distinction is there.

·
Registered
27,184 Posts

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
It is terrible that the suspect caused such harm to that officer and his family.

The family should charge the suspect with mental anguish.

·
NRA Life Member
63,403 Posts
Bat, in this case, could be used as a weapon but since a weapon is not its primary function, I believe it would be considered a deadly instrument.

Not much difference in the punishment for using it, but the distinction is there.
Depends on your state law. Here it's called a "dangerous instrument" where an actual nightstick would be a deadly weapon.

Reactions: fastbolt

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Correia, the video narrator makes some teaching points about the tactics used that may be useful to other police. That said, the long time truism in evaluating police use of deadly force is applicable: "bad tactics do not make a bad shooting". Bat + distance+ noncompliance + aggression equals one dead suspect who was the author of his own misfortune.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts