California Headlines and Issues

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Jade Falcon, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

I, like most of you, enjoy bashing the land of Fruits and Nuts. Pretty much all of it.

This morning, I came up with an idea for a "California Mega-Thread". A thread where we can all post about the ongoings of California in all of it's Liberal Glory.

You can post either an article, a link to an article, or if you just want to rant about something California related, then do it here.

Or....perhaps there are those of you on here who genuinely love California for whatever reason. And that's fine. I know a few of our members here live there, and I know that some of us have had good experiences with California. Perhaps you'd like to post about that instead.

Myself, I was born in Los Gatos and raised in San Jose until I was 12. My father got a job transfer in the summer of 1995, and we moved to Vancouver, Washington. I've only been back there a handful of times since; the latest being this past December for a 49er game at Levis Stadium.

My family was scattered around California, and we still have family living there. Some of my favorite childhood memories involves traveling to Arnold California to see my aunt and uncle at Christmas time, or during the summer. My uncle was a Baptist minister there, and my aunt was a teacher. Now they are both retired and living in Berkeley.

I also enjoyed traveling with my mother and sister to the beach; usually Half Moon Bay.

But I don't miss the place. And I'll never move back. Way too Liberal, and way too expensive.

So what do you got?

For me, let's start with this morning's headlines. These come from The Mercury News:

Environmentalists Plan Logging to Restore California's Redwood Forests:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/04/17/environmentalists-plan-logging-to-restore-redwood-forests/

There's a surprise. One doesn't usually think of "Logging" when Environmentalists are mentioned. But it can certainly be beneficial to both the logging business and safety; as it removes fire hazards from vulnerable places.

I love the old Redwoods, and some of my favorite things to do as a child was visit the Giant Sequoias just up the road from Arnold.

Then we get to the next item: Rats. In Berkeley.

And no....it wasn't a college Hippie.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/04...sive-rat-suffering-from-rabies-or-the-plague/

When my family lived in San Jose, one of the biggest problems we had were rats in our neighborhood. GIANT, HUGE rats. As big as a cat.

My father and a late friend of ours used to have fun shooting them with a pellet gun at night and setting rat traps on the fence. Many a rat was killed.

I see the problem hasn't disappeared from the Bay Area since I've moved away, lol. But plague or rabies is no laughing matter.

So....there you go. Discuss away, oh California.

FullClip likes this.
  2. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

You're from San Jose?

Valley go home!

CAcop likes this.

3. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Let's add a rule: If you don't live here, you can't comment.

In simple terms, if you don't live here, you don't have standing.

I have no interest whatsoever in what outsiders think about California. It's not like those of us in California spend a lot of time criticizing the other 49 (I'm including Vermont in this case).

4. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

I'm curious: why are you a "former" Faithful? Don't tell me it's just because of Kap?

Bro, we can say that about a LOT of things: if you're not gay, don't speak about it, if you're not Muslim, don't speak about it, if you're not a woman, don't speak about abortion.....etc etc.

But that doesn't stop us from having opinions about these issues. Same with California.

Dog Soldier and Rellik like this.
  5. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

OK, no rule...

But realize that we who live here don't give a damn about your opinions. We know we have a disastrous state government but we can vote to replace it. Outsiders can only ***** about it, they have no vote!

Did you notice that the ballot measure to split the state qualified for the November ballot?

https://ballotpedia.org/California_Three_States_Initiative_(2018)

Now all we need to do is create an 'island' around Sacremento and get them out of Northern California.

Speaking of a crappy place to live, why would anybody live in the Pacific Northwest. Talk about **** weather... And then there's Oregon, the dumping ground for California liberals who don't earn enough to keep up with the cost of living.

Bish1309 and Jade Falcon like this.
  6. nmk

nmk

Do you have any opinions on North Korea, Mexico, Russia, China, Burkina Faso?

Sorry. You're an outsider. Be quiet.

Brochacho, Rellik, paul45 and 2 others like this.
  7. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

Oh trust me: I'm well aware of the issues here in the PNW. But given a choice between Clark County and Santa Clara County.......thanks, but I'll stick to Clark County.

Later on this year, I'm moving up North to Kelso/Longview to a house in the $160K range. That would be a million dollar home in the Bay Area. Freaking ridiculous. All for the price of a little rain. I'd rather live with the rain than the California pollution.

As for Oregon....yeah, it really sucks, and I'm thankful I don't live there. They are trying to force a toll on Vancouver commuters, but our local Republican Rep isn't having any of it. I can't stand the way Oregon is run. That hag of a governor Kate Brown is so far Left that she's even angering some Liberals in Portland. Something which I never thought I'd see.

8. Biggsly

Biggsly Good looking deplorable

9. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

I forgot I changed that. It doesn't show on Tapatalk. Yep, it was not just Kap, but the front office's support for him.

I can't keep a grudge, though, and pretty much will always be a Niners fan. For what little I watch football anymore. The game has changed to where it doesn't seem as fun to watch. I still have my Lifetime 49er Faithful pin from The Fan Club at Town & Country Village.

We're moving to our new home in Florida - leaving later today, hopefully- and when I get the cocktail lounge set up at our place, all the 9ers stuff will be on display. The biggest thing is figuring out how to get Giants games on TV there.

Although I will be found at St. Lucie Mets (single-A) games. Their stadium is only about 20 minutes away and seats are eight bucks.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  10. SRS

SRS

Isn’t Washington about as liberal as California except without the enormous economy, great weather, and abundant and varied natural resources?

Bus007 likes this.
  11. GamerGirl

GamerGirl 100% Relevant

What would that house cost in Seattle?

Glock&KimberLady likes this.
  12. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

In my experience....again: MY experience.....it has mainly been the Puget Sound area that sees the most Liberal policies and laws. The rest of the State seems to get away from being so Liberal.

And as far as the gun control, there is simply no comparisons between the two. My AK-47 is legal here....it would be a felony in California to have. Not to mention we are a Shall Issue state, with good carry and self-defense laws.

Couldn't tell you. I have zero desires to live anywhere near Seattle. Kelso is as far North as I'm willing to go. I think the prices I saw for a one-story 3 bedroom house in my property research was around $250K in Tacoma. But don't quote me on that.

If it were up to me, I'd move to the Eastern portion of the State. But for personal reasons, that's not an option.

13. hurley842002

hurley842002

I, for one, happen to love California, and have our annual trip planned for June. That being said, I love my freedom more, so I won't be living there any time soon (although I love the beach enough that I've been tempted).

-JCN- and Jade Falcon like this.
  14. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018...d-to-finally-leave-state-and-m-not-alone.html

CA has the worst real poverty metrics in the country. And until very recently ONE THIRD of all Americans on welfare lived in CA. CA's big cities have right at the worst GINI Indexes among all US cities.

CA stands to lose a congressional representative, possibly two, after the next census. CA is shedding both poor people and also lots of recent college graduates and businesses.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  15. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

Nice place to visit, but wouldn't want to live there.

Taco Junkie, -JCN- and Jade Falcon like this.
  16. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

If the city government allows crapping on the street then they can keep all the turds they want inside that state.

I still think the boarder wall needs expanding.

Simi_gun_guy and Jade Falcon like this.
  17. Joe!

Joe! one two three get loose now

Total dik move.

18. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

What is?

19. Dave514

Dave514

If true, why purport such a rule?

Me thinks you don't like to hear the criticisms.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  20. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus

Born in SoCal, lived in SoCal for 33 years, then I got out. Do I get to say anything? :rofl:

cghelton, F106 Fan and Jade Falcon like this.