close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

California Handgun Law Source?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Vitals, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Vitals

Vitals

I've been looking around on the internet on specific laws in regards to storing in the house and transport in a vehicle. How it needs to be stored and locked up during transport to the range or wherever in my vehicle, and even how or when I can transport it on my person. If any of you know a good, reliable source to find this language or information It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks fellas

2. ABACABB

ABACABB

3. Glock_9mm

Glock_9mm

For the car, your gun needs to be locked in a case and ammo needs to be stored separately. For your home, not sure, but I would strongy recommend getting a safe especially if kids are ever around.
    Scott

Just found this link

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  4. Opie 1 Kenopie

Opie 1 Kenopie Regular Guy

Ya, what HE said. At home it can be unlocked and left loaded, but CA laws require you to secure it from children. So it's up to you how you want to do that. Its not against the law to leave a loaded gun laying around, but youll burn in Liberal Hell if a kid gets to it and does damage. To buy a gun, you have to certify that you own a safe or else buy a stupid CA approved trigger lock when making your gun purchase.

Carrying in a car is as described above, a trunk will do or any locked box, even INSIDE your car will work. Just keep the ammo separate from the gun and no one can claim you had aloaded, concealed handgun in the car.

5. 92GTA

92GTA

You sure about this? Just sayin, none of this was mentioned to me when I bought my G22 last month. I just used the red lock that came in the Glock case to double wrap around the case handle to keep it locked :whistling:

For transport, I have a bag with all my ammo and accessories and then I just throw my locked Glock case in the bag too. Should I not be doing this and keep the Glock case under my car seat or something and my bag of all the stuff in the trunk?

6. PLINKING.40

PLINKING.40

The pistol has to be in the trunk, can not be in arms reach while you are in the car, even if you have the cable rapped around the box, and NO-Ammo inside the car either (big NoNo)the glove box doesn't pass as a locked container, and the mag's can not be pre-loaded for the day at the range, or a mag in the pistol, and some pistols do not come with a lock so when you come to pick up the gun you have to go purchase a CA. Approved safety lock thats states it on the package and show the recipt of where you bought it to the LGS and they will make a copy of it before you can take the pistol home, and for insurance purposes the Rep will ask if you have an CA. approved gun safe for your guns if you have kids.

7. 92GTA

92GTA

OK, so I put the gun locked in the case with no mags or ammo in the trunk (which I have an SUV so I guess all the way in the back counts as the trunk lol), then I can keep my bag of ammo and everything else like in the back seat? But even then any mags that are in the bag have to be un-loaded too?

8. PLINKING.40

PLINKING.40

Correctomundo, Silly I know, You can keep the range bag with the Boolits in it next to the "Locked" pistol case, just as long as you can't reach them or someone "if" in the back seat, and if you get stoped for a minor traffic violation First word out of your mouth is not Good morrning Deputy it is I have a Pistol and and a range bag with ammo in it WAY back there by the back lift door..

9. Glock2336

Glock2336 Senor Member

Here you go:

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

I will be traveling to California and want to carry my weapon. I currently have a concealed weapon permit. How can I legally transport my weapon while driving through the state?
    California law does not recognize concealed weapon permits from other states; therefore, they would not be held valid. If you wish to transport a handgun during your California visit, it should be carried unloaded in a locked container. In the absence of a suitable container, you may secure the unloaded handgun in the locked trunk of a passenger car. Ammunition may be kept in the same container or trunk, but the handgun must remain unloaded with no rounds in the cylinder and no loaded magazines in the magazine well.

If you have additional questions, contact the California Department of Justice at 916-227-3703.

My ammo was locked in the same case next to my unloaded firearms which is legal.

10. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

My process is to put the guns in my range bag and lock the zipper. I have ammo in stage bags and ammo cans.

But the bigger part of my process is that EVERYTHING is in the back of the SUV with the cover over the top. Absent probable cause, there is no way that LE is ever going to search my vehicle. I certainly won't agree to a search - ever! Even if it's empty!

I don't even have gun related hats or apparel in the front of the vehicle and I certainly don't have an NRA decal on the rear window. In fact, no decals of any kind.

My guess at the proper method is to lock the guns in the cases they came with. Not all are lockable but most are. If the case can't be locked, install the cable lock through the action and then put it in a box.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry.pdf

You can just research California Penal Code sections 12025 and 12026.

Richard

11. Opie 1 Kenopie

Not exactly, Plinking .40. I do this every day for a living. I'm the rangemester for my CHP office and have to be familiar with the laws. The trunk thing is a gun store myth. Law says locked container and any locked container will do, even a briefcase on the seat next to you. Trunk will work if you dont have a lockable box. Law says no loaded cylinder or mags IN the gun. But a mag CAN be pre loaded for the range and CAN be within arms reach. Just not assembled into a loaded, unlocked pistol. People often confuse the "arms reach" thing with our open container laws regarding the driver of a vehicle and alcohol.

An example I give citizens who ask is: keep your unloaded pistol in a locked briefcase, combo almost ready to pop the latches. Keep your loaded mags anywhere you like. For the average guy who has no CCW here, it's the best and fastest way to get your pistol up and running if you should need it. Obviously lock your dang car doors while driving to give you the time to assemble that thing if you need it.

You'll still be at the mercy of local jury/DA/ LE but rarely have I seen or heard of anyone getting jammed up over this method when a legitimate use of force situation arises.

12. Opie 1 Kenopie

The lock thing is the law, but since most guns come with a lock, your dealer certifies it as a qualifying, included item. Otherwise you have to sign an affidavit that you own a safe, describe the make and model, or buy their stupid gun lock. Now take your new gun home and toss that lock out the window at the first intersection you come to.

13. PLINKING.40

PLINKING.40

sorry Opie, I got my Info from the DOJ.gov on transporting firearms in Ca. And will stick with my method, I could do the briefcase PoP open in Tx. and have no problem but It wont be anywhere in the cab of my car, Just saying, (not that I would love to have it that close just in case SHTF..but if you do get stopped and you get a very Top Notch LEO....It's a federal Hit.and could loose ALL rights to keep and bare arms..:crying:

14. Glock_9mm

Glock_9mm

You can only sign an affidavit that you have a safe for a long gun purchase, at least in my county....I know this for fact as I just went through it with my Kahr P380 which does not come with an approved California lock, even though its a CA Kahr. :faint: So I had to spend $7 on another Califronia Approved cable lock that I had dozen of at home! For their records, my LGS requires that the lock has to be purchased in the last 30 days. Its a CYA thing I guess. Weird, well yeah...its California! :dunno:
    Scott

15. Firecop203

Firecop203

WOW......this thread makes me realize the MAJOR differences between CA and here in Oklahoma. Much LESS restrictive here.

16. PLINKING.40

PLINKING.40

You said It Brother...THEY suck. I could keep it in a locked case next to me, or the back seat, But I don't feel like being pulled out the side window with a big black hole in front of my nose..If it comes down to it I'll Mace the SOB and pop the trunk and drop one down the pipe in 3 seconds

17. Glock_9mm

Glock_9mm

Oh and there is a LOT more!!! To buy a handgun, you actually have to take a multiple choice test to get a permit to buy a hand gun. It is pretty simple, but gheez, they don't make it easy on you. Want to buy two handguns? Well you need to wait 30 days between each purchase. A bunch of BS and a royal PITA. Want a Gen 4 Glock, sorry, its not on the CA approved list. Sorry, LEO only. There are ways to get one by converting it to s single shot, but I will not be able to CCW with it. :dunno: I could go on, but what is the point! :yawn:
    Scott

18. PLINKING.40

PLINKING.40

plus you have to do gun check with a dumby round to show that a pistol can still be fired when the mag has been removed, and if you get you finger anywhere near the trigger they Flunk you right there on the spot and have to wait a day or two to come back and do the teat all over again...:faint:

19. 1RoundEye

1RoundEye

www.Calguns.net

In a nut shell for transport, handguns need to be unloaded and in a locked container (which can be the trunk). Ammunition can be in the same locked container as long as the gun is unloaded. This is basically so you can travel through a GFSZ. If you know your route is not going to take you within 1k feet of a K-12 school, then you can leave it in plain view in the car.

At your home, you can do what you want. If you step outside and your yard is not gated, you cannot carry the firearm on you without a CHL.

20. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

16850 PC

As used in Sections 17740, 23925, 25105, 25205, and 25610,
    in Article 3 (commencing with Section 25505) of Chapter 2 of Division
    5 of Title 4, and in Chapter 6 (commencing with Section 26350) of
    Division 5 of Title 4, "locked container" means a secure container
    that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, keylock, combination
    lock, or similar locking device.
    The term "locked container" does not
    include the utility or glove compartment of a motor vehicle.

Be aware that "secure containers" does not mean cloth range bags, cloth zippered "rugs" and other such items that can be easily ripped open or cut open.