CALIFORNIA DROS "1 gun in 30 day period" question

Discussion in 'California Glockers' started by BonoVox, Mar 15, 2007.

1. BonoVox

BonoVox CLM

I have a question on the puchase of 1 handgun over a 30 day period in California.

Day 1, I start DROS "10 day wait" on a new handgun "G36"

Day 10, I pick up hand gun. "me very happy"

So on day 21 can I start the DROS on a new handgun and a new 10 day period? Picking the gun up on day 31?

Or do I have to wait until day 31 to start the next 10 day period "31 days after gun pick up" thus not being able to pick up the gun until day 41?

The reason I ask is I have an out of state Glock 26 "GlockWorld" sitting at a local FFL. The 41 day rule puts me right into the start of a 2 week vacation "out of country". I would love to be able to pick up the second gun on day 31 and take my CCW training class and qualify with it before I go on vacation.

Only thing I can find online is the notation below that I have found on many sites. Funny thing is I have asked a few FFL's and seem to get different answers.

7. How many handguns can I buy at a time?

The State of California has determined that you should only buy one handgun in a 30 day period. Handgun transactions related to law enforcement, private party transfers, returns to owners, and other specified circumstances are exempt from the one-handgun-per-30-day restriction.

SORRY IF I HAVE CONFUSED ANYONE! Thanks for you help!:thumbsup:

2. The-Fly

The-Fly The Bofh

or better yet, move to a free state, and buy all the guns you want without waiting for Feinstein et all to wring their hands .

3. BonoVox

BonoVox CLM

I didn't vote for her....nor did the majority of the people in the county I live in. But regardless I am not going anywhere. Thanks for the suggestion though.:thumbsup:

4. Skers95

Skers95

Good question, you could try and call local gun store, but I think that the 31 day starts when DROS starts.

What is more bs is that if the store has no gun, and have to order. 10 day can't start unless the gun is there, so they can grab the serial. Pissed me off.

5. BonoVox

BonoVox CLM

I have had limited sucess with that. Crazy huh?!

6. sixftaframes

sixftaframes Guest

Bonovox, I've asked my shop the same question. Answer being NO. One must wait until the 31st day after the purchase of the 1st pistol. No paperwork may be started (my shop said that a sale order, meaning that you paid for the pistol, has to be recorded along with the DROS simulanteously)until the 31st day. Hope this helps, sixft.

7. BonoVox

BonoVox CLM

Thanks so much. I was told that by one of the FFL's. The one I actually trust the most. That helps confirm it for me! :thumbsup:

8. Gothic_TNT

Gothic_TNT Guest

FYI, Make sure they put the correct pick up date on your paper work, it's not fun waiting an extra day :brickwall: :fist:

9. BonoVox

BonoVox CLM

Pretty funny how one extra day makes a difference. We are like kids in a candy store!!! :hearts:

Yes that would suck!

10. DanMartin

DanMartin

You can pay for it. And then you wait.

11. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits Not Again.....

That's true, you can pay for as many of them as you want to, but they can only start the DROS paperwork once every 30 days. Meaning that essentially, you're only picking up a handgun every 30 days.

My dad went through that process a few months ago when he bought a pair of Ruger Vaqueros that were matching. Paid for them both at the same time, but had to wait 60 days before he had his matching set of cowboy pistols.

12. g5reality

g5reality

I'm a member of the 30 day club. I buy a new handgun every 30 days. My last beginning DROS was March 7, I will buy another on April 8 just to be safe. Last was a Glock 26. Month before was a S&W 642. What will it be next month? Any suggestions? I'm leaning towards a HK P200sk, or maybe another kimber I already have a Raptor II.

13. camoram

camoram Guest

I was talking to the local gun shop and found something interesting pertaining to this law. If the gun purchased (let's go with me on this one) is used, the 30 day does not apply. Because I bought a used gun I can go down today and buy another one and only have to wait the 11 day's.

14. JTB

JTB always learning

I think, if the use gun was done as a transfer, you can buy as more if not done as a transfer I think you are sol..

15. klmmicro

klmmicro

It is 30 days between DROS, not between purchase. The 30 day period only applies to handguns. You can DROS all the long guns you want.

The exemption when buying new comes when you buy two consecutively serialed pistols. Say two 1911's with serials 1000 and 1001.