close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

California, and the nation, is doubly screwed

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Drjones, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Drjones

Drjones

Don't recall seeing any discussion here about how the dems in CA seem to have secured a 2/3 supermajority in both state houses, meaning they are utterly free to do whatever the heck they want.

It's long been an unfortunate fact that the worst ideas here in CA act as templates for the rest of the nation so...pray for the big one to hit the San Andreas, I guess....

2. 427

Super majorities in both houses!? Dude. Get out while you can.

3. RichJ

RichJ

How has this gone unreported?

This is HUGE. :wow:

4. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

I predict a mass exodus from California.

It may be for reasons other than people think.

Lets just say a little birdie told me so.

HAVE YOUR PREPS IN ORDER!

I trust me little bird.

5. fastbolt

fastbolt

California contains more than 12% of the nation's population. (Second largest by land mass, but first in population.)

That's significant.

One state maintained record I found a couple years ago (and then lost the link) showed consistent population growth since that record was started in 1940. Granted, the population demographics might have fluctuated over that time, but the basic numbers grew each year (ranging from .5 - 2%).

BTW, this achieving a super majority hasn't gone unreported, as there's been a few articles which mention it here (although there's probably little reason for it to be noted and discussed outside the state).

6. JBnTX

JBnTX

We need to build a wall around Texas before the California refugees get here.

7. CombatCamera

CombatCamera

Just let me in first JBnTX!!

8. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

As goes California, so goes the Nation.

Notice proposition 30 was passed that increased taxes on those making over $250K but not the proposition that increased taxes for everyone.

Tax increase for thee but not for me.

9. fastbolt

fastbolt

The income tax increase for the "wealthy" isn't the only tax increase in that proposition. The quarter cent sales tax increase affects everyone who buys things.

I've always wondered why the $250K earnings floor became the threshold figure for being "wealthy". Why not $500K, or $1M? How many potential earners are contained within those different brackets?

I never reached the $200K annual income point (not ever wishing to work that much OT), but I've known a lot of folks who earned $200-$250K annually, and they certainly aren't "wealthy". Not with the cost of living in many places in CA, especially in the greater SF Bay Area.

10. Restless28

Restless28

Yep. It's coming.

11. frank4570

frank4570

I get how this goes. The voting majority wants the govt to take care of them. So as things get worse, they vote in more and more people who promise to give them free stuff.

"You poor sad children deserve better. That rich guy doesn't need all that money he has. He doesn't care about your suffering. Vote for me and I will find a way to take money away from that rich guy and give you free stuff so you don't have to worry about."

And then things get worse again and they scream "Please take care of us! Tell us it will be ok and we don't have to worry about anything!"

12. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

We're screwed... unless we can find a solid leadership and repeat 1776 on a national scale.

13. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

They hope to get the Fedral Govt to bail them out............and they will. Even more of our milk will go to the free milk drinkers there.

I wonder how long our milk cows will put out, eh?

That's why I'm not giving to the Sandy Storm victims this time around. They wanted big govt........they got it.

FEMA offices closed due to the weather, only the govt can make me laugh this much.

I believe we will.

Don't know when and don't think it will be while I'm still alive.

But it will. The pendulum always swings both ways. When our society finally sees what it's doing to it's self.....it will eliminate the drinkers like the infection they are.

14. Mr981

Mr981

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/08/usa-campaign-california-idUSL1E8M7NDL20121108

The WSJ has a large article on this.

As one that has seen what happens when one party has a stranglehold on a large county in our state--Cuyahoga--those of you in CA have my sympathy.

You can look forward to more taxes--big time--and a completely cooked political system where the state judiciary will protect or look the other way from the hi-jinx that the Dems will be able to pull for years.

Once one party has it's hands on all the levers of power, democracy stops.

It is my sincere hope that where CA is going, they end up there by their own hand, with the Feds not intervening financially to bail them out.

Instead of the Prius being the hot new vehicle in the state, it will be the moving van.

15. CAcop

CAcop

The punchline is that Gov. Moonbeam is considered a moderate now.

16. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

So any bets on how long till Prop 13 goes bye bye?

Also guessing the train to nowhere will be getting more funding.

17. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

The Democratic super majority in both houses of the California legislature spells out our doom.

The democrats will be able to raise taxes without impunity, pass Veto-proof leftist crap that even Moonbeam would have otherwise vetoed.

The holy grail however is Prop 13 which since 1978 has protected homeowners from being taxed out of their homes - the Democrats now have tha ability to do a run-around Prop 13, forcing retirees and other long term-homeowners out of the state.

Despite the insanely high taxes California will hit her citizens with California will go bankrupt in a big and ugly way; making all prior financial crisis in out nation pale in comparison.

Strap in and grab the hand rail kids: we are in for one heck of a ride!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  18. CAcop

CAcop

If the Dems dump prop 13 that may be the one thing that will cause people to stop voting for them. Housing prices will plummet the minute prop 13 is repealed. I personally think it is why prices got so high here to begin with. If you know your takes can only go up 2% per year why not go for a more expensive house? If your taxes are at the whim of your local polticians why would you buy a more expensive house?

19. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

California will be the western greece situation, requiring the rest of the "union" to bail them via federal taxes being sent to them disporportionally.

20. 9jeeps

9jeeps

You guys need to sell more fruits and nuts.