Caliber Wars...

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Teecher45, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Teecher45

Teecher45

I would argue because there are so many caliber war threads going on it actually argues the point of “there’s no significant difference between the service calibers”.

Because if there was a caliber that was “significantly better” we’d all be carrying it. I know I would be.

Although I do drop into a thread from time-to-time to give my opinion, the caliber debate is over for me. I usually am only trying to give data, scientific research, and expert testimonials for the unbiased.
    I’m never trying to talk anyone into changing their carry preferences. But I believe, because I’ve done it many times, there may be unbiased people on the internet honestly trying to figure out the best caliber for them. Im just trying to help.

I’m focused more on platforms and shooting nowadays (training) than trying out different calibers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. George Kaplan

George Kaplan emeritus

Cliche' I know but the guys in the Reloading section forgot more about this stuff than the regulars here could ever dream; and their information is actually accurate sans the emotion. Nicer guys (and women) too. Not that anyone wants the regulars here to go over there.

3. BBMW

BBMW

I think the issue is getting good, quantifiable information out of real life shootings. There are so many other variables in play that isolating the effect of caliber/loading is nearly impossible. That leaves us analyzing jello testing results, and the validity of jello testing (or any other synthetic testing methodologies.)

DocPoison, Railsplitter and pblanc like this.
  4. Syclone0538

Syclone0538

It's all just a compromise. Trade effect on target for capacity and/or follow up speed and accuracy... Bottom line is that we have a bunch of good options available to us.

DocPoison, 1L26, Chui and 3 others like this.
  5. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+

Yep no difference at all, physics don't mean a thing anymore. Thinking of ditching my current carry gun for a 380, new bullets and all. Idiocy...

6. Teecher45

Teecher45

Well, I guess when you have no facts you resort to name calling.

Do you have any repeatable, scientific data to prove otherwise?
    Do you have any expert testimonials?
    Shooting data from over 1700 shootings to back anything up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdamRodgers likes this.
  7. Benchrst

Benchrst Ban Hamster

8. 0311INF

0311INF

I agree for the most part, though I think as far as service calibers, there's been some recent creep from "not a significant" difference to "no difference" among what could be called the general consensus. Obviously there are some different terminal effects, even with appropriate comparisons. Much has to do with the actual projectile design, as some .35 caliber can expand more than some .45 caliber options.
    The cut and dry results we argue over are not the only thing that can be looked at either. The gun toting physicists will sometimes show up in these sorts of threads and explain effects of momentum and energy retarding media. The very occasional medical professional will offer empirical or anecdotal evidence of handgun GSW trauma. The hunter will drop in and show pics of a nasty 10mm entry wound.
    All constructive and informed perspectives are valuable and certainly things can be learned or opinions can be altered. I do not think that we should call the game yet, there seems to be quite a lot that is generally overlooked or underestimated.

Railsplitter and Teecher45 like this.
  9. Danielsuzuki

Danielsuzuki Happiness is where you find it

So... carry 2 guns. Edited for dramatic effect.

;)

10. Repeat

Repeat

The debate is over for me. I shoot .40 cal. I could care less what anyone else chooses to shoot. You shoot what you want, and I'll shoot what I want. I am utterly sick and tired of being scorned for shooting a .40 cal. Anyone giving me the 9mm speech gets absolutely zero tolerance or politeness from me. I have zero desire to watch guys on you tube dress up like GI Joe, shoot 9mm real fast, and preach to me. I put the 9mm crowd as insane about the subject as leftists do about guns in general. I refuse to have the conversation.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  11. -JCN-

-JCN-

That's a nonsensical argument because most of the people arguing have zero firsthand experience with using any caliber in armed defense.

Would you argue that there's no significant difference between college football teams because there are many threads arguing which is the best?

Or that perhaps people have different criteria for deciding what's best for them and try to (erroneously) apply that to other people.

All I know is that there are a lot of people out there carrying guns that aren't very fast, accurate or skilled with them. Does it really matter what caliber they carry if they can't hit anything anyway? There's no effective difference in caliber if you miss your target....

12. mp95b

mp95b

YEAH!!... What He Said!!

Guser, Intolerant, 1L26 and 2 others like this.
  13. rfd339

rfd339 Silver Member

I like 40sw (EDC, HD), 45acp, 38spl(EDC) and 9mm. I dumped my 380 pistols a couple years back. As far as caliber wars , to each their own, carry what you're comfortable and accurate with and train safe.

14. kernal_panic

kernal_panic

there is a subset of the 9mm crowd that basically are *******s. i have no tolerance or respect for them. they are liars. they claim they shoot 9mm because they can shoot it faster more accurately than other calibers.

that's a lie. because if it were actually true, they would never touch 9mm. they would be shooting 32 acp.

i have a Beretta 81. its way way easier to shoot than a glock 19. it has zero recoil and follow up shots are much faster than any other center fire hand gun i own, or have owned.

they are shooting it because they are cheap and lazy. they want to spend the least amount on ammo, actual terminal effectiveness be damned, and not work for it (reload).

for the record I own 3 9mms and have owned more 9mm pistols than any other calibers and have owned 2 9mm pccs. i also own a fowty, now gonna be 3 .45 GAPS, and a pair of .32 acps and a 22 revolver. i have owned .380, 357 mag, 10mm, .25 acp, and 3 .45 acp pistols. I shoot them all i enjoy them all. i wouldn't hesitate to defend my live with any of them.

but there is a subset of the 9mm crowd that are just habitual cockbags who have to interject themselves into any suggestion of any caliber or gun purchase, with "9mm is the greatest and you're a dumb rube for thinking otherwise!"

seriously, to that group, go **** your self.

and what do I carry 100% of the time? a gun that 10 years ago i wouldn't have touched. a keltec p32. it goes in my pocket where ever i got. some times i have a 9mm shield on my hip or a sub compact 45 gap, the the keltec is ALWAYS in my pocket.

and i'm about to put the 81 into rotation as soon as i find a holster i like for it.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  15. BengalBacker

BengalBacker

I have all the major calibers and at different times I might carry any of them, but I end up carrying my G26 the most, even though I believe 10mm is the most effective overall. Lots of things to take into account for a carry weapon. If I have to grab a handgun in my house and face a mob of bad guys, I'm grabbing my G20 if I can't get to my Tavor.

16. kernal_panic

kernal_panic

program compliance is WAY WAY WAY more important than anything else. if program compliance means a pocket 38 or a subcompact 9mm, or a single stack .45 or a 40 year old, double stack former italian police pistol in .32 acp, than so be it.

whats the 1st rule of gun fight club? have a gun.

Mtnfolk75 and BengalBacker like this.
  17. M 7

M 7

So far, it seems that all that has been proven is that starting a thread that claims that "there are so many caliber war threads going on it actually argues the point of “there’s no significant difference between the service calibers” will actually start a "caliber war".

How ironic. o_O

18. gunowner1

gunowner1

Last week I carried the G19. This week mostly the shield 45. Next week may be just the LCP.

Macc283, rayzer007 and kernal_panic like this.
  19. Jan R Whitaker

Jan R Whitaker

With ammo the way it is now, I think you can carry whatever caliber you are comfortable with.Just put the round where it needs to be.

20. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

The "Ballistic Equivalency" theory that says that all calibers regardless of ballistics are the same seems to be the popular opinion these days, but just because an opinion is popular and often repeated, or is the "majority" opinion does not mean that it's 100 percent correct.

Additionally, people tend to rely on this contemporary Ballistic Equivalency" theory to justify using a lesser caliber and to vilify as not being "In the Know" or up to date on popular wisdom those who use a more powerful one.

Nanuk, Bus007, alnicoG22 and 4 others like this.