Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Brew Crew
29,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you think people get hung up on a particular caliber?

Handgun wise I'm pretty content with 9, 38, 45 for fun and carry stuff. I think when it gets more subjective is when you get into rifle rounds/hunting calibers.

The one and only deer I've shot was with a 130 grain 270, hit him like a lightning bolt. That said I've been fond of the round since. But.... I've been watching plenty of YouTube videos looking for a lighter recoil round and settled on a 243.

Guys dropping pigs and deer with this round in plenty of videos. Plus it can be loaded down for varmit stuff. Seems like a jack if all trades to me. Obviously shot placement is key here.

Less is more?

·
Registered
16,903 Posts
As far as rifles are concerned, am the original advocate of the 7mm Mauser, 7x57 cartridge. It was the first really, really accurate rifle I ever owned, and still believe if money is no option, is the flattest shooting, best round out to 300 yards I own.

It has taken tigers, Cape buffalo, and elephants for over a century. It was both Frank Buck's and his wife's preferred cartridge. His because of terminal performance, hers because it is a soft shooting, low recoil round that gets the job done.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I wouldn't feel comfortable with a low capacity and/or small caliber pistol. I can't seem to dip below a minimum of 13+1 and the bare minimum of 9mm. I cringe when I see .380s.

Reactions: GlockWheeler

·
Registered
958 Posts
Handgun caliber at the range is mostly 9mm for me on my semi auto pistols and 38 sp for my cowboy guns.

As far as hunting, I favor the 25-06 for deer size animals and the 204 for preditors.

I have several other calibers but they don't see as much use as the ones I listed.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I am a huge fan of the 7x57 and have taken a few animals with it. I think my biggest reason for liking it is because my Grandfather gave me my first rifle, a Chilean 7x57 Mauser, which I'll never part with. But I also have several others, including 7mm-08, .30-06, .300 WSM, .35 Whelen, 6.5x55... and more.

Your last sentence is pretty accurate, "less is more" provided you know your limitations and that of a selected cartridge. I think what makes the lighter cartridges better is the fact that they are more shootable. Not that the big cannons can't be accurate, but most people don't and won't spend enough time with them on the range.

Finding something that you can accurately shoot is going to be more important than what the cartridge is. .243 has been killing critters since it was introduced and is a good choice. But just in case you ever thought about stepping up just a bit more, something in the 6.5 creedmoor or 7mm-08 would be great choices. They give you everything a .243 gives you and more should you ever decide to hunt something bigger than deer.

·
20,730 Posts

Handgun wise I'm pretty content with 9, 38, 45 for fun and carry stuff. I think when it gets more subjective is when you get into rifle rounds/hunting calibers.

The one and only deer I've shot was with a 130 grain 270, hit him like a lightning bolt. That said I've been fond of the round since. But.... I've been watching plenty of YouTube videos looking for a lighter recoil round and settled on a 243.

Guys dropping pigs and deer with this round in plenty of videos. Plus it can be loaded down for varmit stuff. Seems like a jack if all trades to me. Obviously shot placement is key here.

Less is more?
"Less is more?"

Sometimes. But for hunting, I'd rather use too much gun than not enough. I love animals and don't like to take the chance that they might suffer, which is not to say a 243 is not enough for deer. The 243 is a good cartridge for hunting but the 270 is better although it does recoil more.

But I think a better cartridge than the 243 is the 6.5 Creedmoor. It recoils like a 243 and has the accuracy of the 243 but has the bullet weight and hits like a 270. It's similar to the 7mm mauser, the 270 and the 6.5 Swede but burns less powder and is extremly accurate, particularly at long range.

A rifle weighing 7.5 pounds chambered in .243 firing a 100 grain bullet at 2960 fps generates 8.9 pounds of recoil energy.

A rifle weighing 8.0 pounds chambered in .270 firing a 130 grain bullet at 3140 fps generates 16.5 pounds of recoil energy.

A rifle weighing 8.0 pounds chambered in 6.5 CM firing a 140 grain bullet at 2800 generates 11.9 pounds of recoil energy.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts

Less is more?
Depends on you, and what and how you hunt.

I like one rifle, generally still hunt, mostly big deer and hogs, and shoot best with a recoil of <20 lb-ft.

150 gr. .270 WIN.

Shoots as flat and soft as a 150 gr. 30-06, retains energy and penetrates like a 180 gr. 30-06.

If all shots were broadside? 130 gr. is fine.

But quartering away, and especially "Texas Heart shots," require more.

Not including 130 gr. Barnes or Federal Trophy Copper bullets... which really burrow in.

And, If starting from scratch? Would look very hard at the 140 gr. .260 REM.

Nutter

·
Registered
15,749 Posts
.270 is a great round.

.243 is great also. Often .243 rifles are very compact and lightweight, perfect for tree stand and blind hunting where a 24-26” barreled rifle is cumbersome.

It’s not surprising. Truck guys bicker back and forth over what engine is best or what rear differential gearing is best.

Enthusiast just love to champion and defend their favorite toys.

Truth is the internet would be pretty boring if everyone agreed that one caliber/gun/optic etc was the best.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Another interesting option for light recoil in a handy carbine is the .357 Magnum.

RUGER is still producing their Stainless R77/357.

Very light weight and low recoiling.

Use one in the thickets with 158-180 gr. HDY XTP rounds when the M700/.270 WIN just doesn't make any sense.

180 gr. XTP can be loaded for a carbine to ~ 1800 fps at the muzzle, and produces 765 lb-ft of energy at 150 yards.

Nutter

·
AAAMAD
33,894 Posts
I am a huge fan of the 7x57 and have taken a few animals with it. I think my biggest reason for liking it is because my Grandfather gave me my first rifle, a Chilean 7x57 Mauser, which I'll never part with. But I also have several others, including 7mm-08, .30-06, .300 WSM, .35 Whelen, 6.5x55... and more.

Your last sentence is pretty accurate, "less is more" provided you know your limitations and that of a selected cartridge. I think what makes the lighter cartridges better is the fact that they are more shootable. Not that the big cannons can't be accurate, but most people don't and won't spend enough time with them on the range.

Finding something that you can accurately shoot is going to be more important than what the cartridge is. .243 has been killing critters since it was introduced and is a good choice. But just in case you ever thought about stepping up just a bit more, something in the 6.5 creedmoor or 7mm-08 would be great choices. They give you everything a .243 gives you and more should you ever decide to hunt something bigger than deer.

My 7x57 has put a whole lot of meat in the freezer. Probably one of best all around guns.

·
Texas Born & Bred
3,692 Posts
I bought a Mauser in 7x57 years ago in a nice Fajen stocked sporter. It was bought mostly for the classic sense of it, but I found I really liked it. Soft recoil and punches way above it’s weight class. Never have been a major advocate of any particular handgun round, they all have their place.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My first deer was killed with a 7mm mauser that my friend's grandfather loaned me. I had the pleasure of seeing the pictures taken with him and that same Mauser taken on what seemed like all the continents save Antarctica. One of the few men I know who killed a python AND an anaconda. Oddly enough I never owned one considering all the firearms that I have, but I have no reservation suggesting it to people who want a light recoil all around caliber. I live in Alaska, and still use two 7mm's. One is a 7-08, the other a Remington 7mm. I seldom carry a large caliber like the 338 or 375 since my son is now in charge of carrying those bear cannons when we hunt together.

Pistols are tools to me more than rifles. I have a thing for 1911's in 45 acp or 38 super. You won't find one on me as a carry weapon though. When I feel the need there is either a snubby in 38 or a 380 acp on my ankle. (car jackings have had me thinking that a gun I was likely going to be using as a straight on head /throat shot at ease at getting to it is the reason for that.) If weight doesn't matter and I am wearing a jacket, my sig 229 in sw40 is under the left armpit. If it is warmer and I want to hide something one of my smaller items is under a pull over shirt and inside my waist. All 9mm, which is a cartridge I used to pass on. SW shields are inexpensive and very reliable. I would be happy to have a glock 43 and probably will very soon. My current favorite for fun gun is a glock 34. I haven't used it in competition yet, but shoot it on my own range VERY often. It has been fully reliable and in abstolutely come from the factory form, delightful in it's results. Makes me wonder about all those mods I have paid for on my namesake weapon.

I guess my feeling on being stuck to a particular round or weapon brand is that it would take as much fun out of my shooting life as it would have should I have restricted my choice of women to one hair or eye color. What fun would that have been?

·
Registered
71 Posts
My first experience with one (38 Super) was a scout master I had, carried one. He was issued it in WW2. later I met another man who had one. It was in 1911 as was my scout master's. His was also issued in WW2. I told him about my scoutmaster, he casually asked his name. I told him and the man showed me a wallet sized pic of he and three other men. He looked up at me and said,"can you recognize your scout master?" Same elite fighting group, one was living in Calif, and one in Lousiana.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
There's something about having a handgun that's the same caliber as your rifle. That's why I love 44 mag. For most of my sub-100 yard shooting, it's perfect.

Anything further and I really appreciate the consistency and accuracy of 30-06.

·
Registered
71 Posts
There's something about having a handgun that's the same caliber as your rifle. That's why I love 44 mag. For most of my sub-100 yard shooting, it's perfect.

Anything further and I really appreciate the consistency and accuracy of 30-06.
That two gun one caliber things motivated lots of us. For my father it was 32 winchester (32-20) for me it was 45 colts. A 44 mag or 357 is a nice thought too. I have never owned a 44mag in pistol and rifle at the same time. Just as I have not owned a 357 in pistol and rifle at the same time. Something in 454 is what I am looking for now.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts