GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Constitutional Conservative
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a recurring theme. We've all seen it time and again - the caliber wars. 9mm, 10mm, .40 S&W, .45ACP. Throw in the occasional .44 or .357 Magnum. Mine's bigger than yours, mines better than yours. Blah-blah-blah. Good-natured joking is one thing and dumping on others is quite a different thing.

It is dismaying the extent to which some people, in order to justify their own choice of caliber, feel the need to put down someone else's choice.

If you love your caiber, by all means tell us: "My 10mm is much more controllable than I thought it would be. Everyone should have one."

Great! Stop right there. But it is not to be. He goes on: "Those small-handed, girly men with their 9mm pocket guns need to man up and get a real gun!"

Izzat really necessary? More importantly, does it contribute anything worthwhile to the discussion? Yeah, we get it; you're a man's man. Tough. Manly. Quit trying so hard. Real men don't need to convince us. Just conduct yourself accordingly without the superiority. We'll get it.

Is it necessary to call the .40 S&W "Small & Weak" to feel good about yourself?

And the Forty Fanboys aren't much better, opining that the only reason 9mm shooters don't shoot .40 S&W is that they're such *******. Grow up.

Front Sight's motto is "Any gun will do if you will do." They have a point. Put even a .22 short between an assailant's headlights and he's out of the game. .40 S&W will do. 9mm will do. A .380 or .32 will do, if the shooter handles it well.

You feel the need for the "stopping power" of a .45ACP in your EDC weapon? Fine. Carry what you like and don't put down others whose choices you deem inadequate. Maybe it would only be inadequate in your hands. Ever think about that?

The more you try to claim bad-assery, the more we suspect you're "overcompensating" for something or other. Your hands are probably larger than they ought to be. You probably have a pick-up truck jacked way off the ground so you can look down on others. You have "Smile and watch for the flash" engraved on your carry piece's muzzle and a Punisher head on your weapon's slide cover plate. Oooohhh! We tremble!

Wow. We're so impressed.

Note: This post is not a part of the Caliber Wars; it's about the way we carry on about our calibers (and our own caliber). Maybe it's a call for a truce or an end to the war.

As Rodney King so famously put it: "Can't we all just get along?"

In the spirit of camaraderie, I invite any of you who are coming to northern Arizona to look me up. We'll go to the local outdoor range and shoot. Bring whatever caliber you like and I promise no judging. I'll bring my dueling tree. It'll be fun.

·
Registered
11,994 Posts
The caliber most often insulted, by jerks who usually say "You're compensating for your lack of manhood" is the S&W 500 Mag. Just go away, you're probably afraid of the recoil that I've been dealing with successfully for 14 yrs.

As the OP is saying, enjoy your favorite caliber? Fine, just ignore any urge to dump on others. We're all, hopefully, people who enjoy the shooting sports and support the 2nd Amendment. Be supportive of others.

I have zero interest in cowboy action shooting but I'm very happy they are out there. More enthusiasts who will fight the leftist obsession with disarming the innocent and whitewhashing the criminals. Don

·
Registered
518 Posts
I haven't heard of LEO's being outgunned since probably the LA Bank Robbery. Now, I'm just a civilian who watches too much Cops and Live PD, so I could be wrong. But modern 9mm, 357 Sig, 40 S&W, and 45 acp seem to be keeping order just fine.

I'm surprised that 10mm hasn't made a comeback to LE and Government Agencies. Seems to me an excellent choice for officers who can handle it.

·
NRA "Benefactor Life" Member
726 Posts
It's a recurring theme. We've all seen it time and again - the caliber wars. 9mm, 10mm, .40 S&W, .45ACP. Throw in the occasional .44 or .357 Magnum. Mine's bigger than yours, mines better than yours. Blah-blah-blah. Good-natured joking is one thing and dumping on others is quite a different thing.

It is dismaying the extent to which some people, in order to justify their own choice of caliber, feel the need to put down someone else's choice.

If you love your caiber, by all means tell us: "My 10mm is much more controllable than I thought it would be. Everyone should have one."

Great! Stop right there. But it is not to be. He goes on: "Those small-handed, girly men with their 9mm pocket guns need to man up and get a real gun!"

Izzat really necessary? More importantly, does it contribute anything worthwhile to the discussion? Yeah, we get it; you're a man's man. Tough. Manly. Quit trying so hard. Real men don't need to convince us. Just conduct yourself accordingly without the superiority. We'll get it.

Is it necessary to call the .40 S&W "Small & Weak" to feel good about yourself?

And the Forty Fanboys aren't much better, opining that the only reason 9mm shooters don't shoot .40 S&W is that they're such *******. Grow up.

Front Sight's motto is "Any gun will do if you will do." They have a point. Put even a .22 short between an assailant's headlights and he's out of the game. .40 S&W will do. 9mm will do. A .380 or .32 will do, if the shooter handles it well.

You feel the need for the "stopping power" of a .45ACP in your EDC weapon? Fine. Carry what you like and don't put down others whose choices you deem inadequate. Maybe it would only be inadequate in your hands. Ever think about that?

The more you try to claim bad-assery, the more we suspect you're "overcompensating" for something or other. Your hands are probably larger than they ought to be. You probably have a pick-up truck jacked way off the ground so you can look down on others. You have "Smile and watch for the flash" engraved on your carry piece's muzzle and a Punisher head on your weapon's slide cover plate. Oooohhh! We tremble!

Wow. We're so impressed.

Note: This post is not a part of the Caliber Wars; it's about the way we carry on about our calibers (and our own caliber). Maybe it's a call for a truce or an end to the war.

In the spirit of camaraderie, I invite any of you who are coming to northern Arizona to look me up. We'll go to the local outdoor range and shoot. Bring whatever caliber you like and I promise no judging. I'll bring my dueling tree. It'll be fun.
It's just like my co-workers they know I'm a Glockaholic and so they bad mouth Glock. I have never told anyone what to purchase. I don't care but still it bothers them that I know what I want. Same with calibers, shoot what you want. I like most calibers but do what you want. Good shooting

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
It's just like my co-workers they know I'm a Glockaholic and so they bad mouth Glock. I have never told anyone what to purchase. I don't care but still it bothers them that I know what I want. Same with calibers, shoot what you want. I like most calibers but do what you want. Good shooting
Too funny. Just a few weeks ago one of my co workers asked me what I carry. I told him my G19.4. He laughed and said "oh Glocks are such pieces of junk". I asked him what he carried, and he responded with "Well I haven't gotten my permit yet so nothing yet".

I didn' even have to respond to him to make him feel like an idiot.

·
NRA "Benefactor Life" Member
726 Posts
Too funny. Just a few weeks ago one of my co workers asked me what I carry. I told him my G19.4. He laughed and said "oh Glocks are such pieces of junk". I asked him what he carried, and he responded with "Well I haven't gotten my permit yet so nothing yet".

I didn' even have to respond to him to make him feel like an idiot.
Good call. You can't polish a turd.

·
10mm Philosopher
6,082 Posts
Izzat really necessary? More importantly, does it contribute anything worthwhile to the discussion? Yeah, we get it; you're a man's man. Tough. Manly. Quit trying so hard. Real men don't need to convince us. Just conduct yourself accordingly without the superiority. We'll get it. Is it necessary to call the .40 S&W "Small & Weak" to feel good about yourself?
Wow. We're so impressed.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

image.jpg

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I haven't heard of LEO's being outgunned since probably the LA Bank Robbery. Now, I'm just a civilian who watches too much Cops and Live PD, so I could be wrong. But modern 9mm, 357 Sig, 40 S&W, and 45 acp seem to be keeping order just fine.

I'm surprised that 10mm hasn't made a comeback to LE and Government Agencies. Seems to me an excellent choice for officers who can handle it.
A lot of agencies standardize caliber if not weapon make and model. The result is they have to pick what is easiest or at least realistic to train their problem shooters on. It's unfortunate, but the truth. Probably part of why 10mm hasn't come back. Also the number of guys that are into firearms enough to pick it are in the minority.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Off topic but that reminds me. It's funny how when you're a kid, you can misinterpret something, and that misinterpretation can persist even after you obtain more understanding.

When Han said "I’ve never seen anything to make me believe there’s one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There’s no mystical energy field controls my destiny! It’s all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense." I thought he was saying the force was bunk, but also that his own destiny was controlled by "tricks and nonsense". I thought Han was a nihilist before I knew what that was lol. I digress, but I always think about that when I see that scene.

1 - 20 of 197 Posts