Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 283 Posts

·
Banned
62,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For your EDC? Do you prefer a larger caliber or more cartridges? Comparable size and weight classes

For instance: g30 with 10+1 of .45ACP OR G19 with 15+1 of 9mm?

What's your preference and why?

·
On the Border
15,282 Posts
If you can shoot, 9 is fine. If you can't shoot, you can't shoot. What difference does it then make?

My preference in carry guns is based more on how the frame handles than capacity. A compact Glock is a real gun. A Glock sub is kind of a real gun. A full size Glock is kind of big.

So my preference is a G19. And if OR goes 10+1, my gun will be a little lighter. Then I could justify carrying a spare mag and showing off.

·
Registered
26,497 Posts
I never carry spare mags - so I would rather have more rounds VS less -

9MM seems to be the one that floats my boat -

I have been using Federal HST in 147 grain (standard pressure) as my CC ammo - they are a good round.

I use .45 ACP - 230 gr HST in my HD bump in the night GEN4 G21 -

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Capacity. Caliber does not matter to me. .22 or larger. PMR-30 and FN5.7 are perfect examples. I own neither but I would sure like to own both of them.

/

·
Registered
13,802 Posts
I prefer what fits my hand the best, I can shoot consistently with and performs reliably.
Neither caliber or capacity are my primary concern when choosing a carry weapon.

·
Premium Member
65,073 Posts
Slow and big holes, that is the tempo.

I carry a 5" Kimber CDP, with two ten-round spare mags, in a pocket carrier of my design. I have eight rounds plus one in the pipe, in the pistol and twenty rounds in the two ten-rounders in my pocket. For those of you who don't habla the new math, that is a total of 29 rounds on me.

All undue modesty aside, I'm pretty good with this pistol. If I can't take care of business with 29 rounds, I'm probably screwed anyway.

Brown Tan Material property Leather Everyday carry

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Rather carry .45 ACP, too big for me.
G-19 is the light and the way.
15+ rounds, if 16 doesn't get me out of trouble, I am in way too deep.

Oh, a spare mag brings the total to 31 rounds on me.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Depends on clothing of myself and would be attackers.

For cc I have settled into a few roles

1) pocket carry (hot weather or nice clothes) ~Rohrbaugh R9 with spare mag

2) light carry IWB (warm weather) ~G43 (formerly solo) with a spare mag

3) cooler/cold weather G27/33 or xds .45

This could also work in a 23 or 19 or 36 or 30S, but most usually not.

I live in the burbs and don't see much crime on a yearly basis. I do always carry where legal though.

·
Registered
30,883 Posts
I generally carry either a lcp or a USP 45 fullsize. Either one is reliable and they meet different concealment needs.

·
Registered
59,811 Posts
Often size is the first consideration which is why more often then not it is a G43.

·
Registered
33,781 Posts
I kind of like lower cap guns so that I carry a spare mag. With a higher cap gun I am more likely just to go with the one in the guns. Besides without body armor I am going to be trying to GTFO of the area fast. With it I will be trying to stay in the general area but still moving

·
Cuhootnified Roamer
10,303 Posts
Often size is the first consideration which is why more often then not it is a G43.
Since I moved back to FL, this has been the case for me too.
In Northern NV, I could get away with pretty much any gun I wanted due to the weather: even in summer it was cool at night. So I went for both, caliber and capacity. Glock 20 and a spare mag.
These days, it's whatever I can hide under a tank top or shorts pockets. Glock 29 when I can swing it, 43 for when I can't. Kahr P380 for when I'm not carrying a gun

·
Registered
16,903 Posts
Neither.

Rule #1, have a gun. I have a whopping 7 rounds of earthshattering .380 ACP with two 6 round mags that I may or may not have with me at the moment, depending on where I am or what I'm doing. So the 7 rounds may be it.

Run like hell is going to be option #1, but if that isn't an option, at least I'm armed.

·
Premium Member
65,073 Posts
Below is my Kel-Tec P3-AT and two spare mags. That is what I carry, when I can't carry a gun.:supergrin: It is small enough to fit into most any pocket and with the belt clip on it, I can clip it to the waistband of a pair of jogging shorts or sweatpants. There is no scenario that will find me in public that I won't be carrying either the Kimber or the Kel-Tec.

I trashed the finish on three blued P3-ATs before I bought a hard-chromed version. Sweat is highly corrosive and when the pistol spends time tucked up against skin, the finish is going to take a beating.

I carry six rounds in the Kel-Tec (No round in the chamber). If I am not carrying a pistol in a holster with the trigger protected, I don't chamber a round. In most situations that I carry the Kel-Tec, I am carrying two six-round spare mags. I always have at least one with me.

I would rather always have the Kimber on me, but the first rule of a gunfight is to bring a gun. If I am dressed in a way that precludes carrying the Kimber, I can still always be carrying. I know a lot of guys that sneer at the Kel-Tec who carry nothing, if their outfit doesn't allow them to carry their preferred carry weapon. I've always thought that was a stupid way to do things.

So, I'll have twelve to eighteen rounds on me, with the Kel-Tec. I know that I may have to expend more rounds to get a well-placed shot and it might take more rounds to stop the threat, but that is the compromise necessary to be carrying, in those situations. It beats standing there armed with nothing but harsh language.

Brown Gun Firearm Ammunition Trigger

1 - 20 of 283 Posts