Caliber conversions using full slide replacements

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Poseid, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Poseid

Poseid

Hello all, I'm new here. I am about to purchase my first glock but thought I'd post a question here to you all to maybe get some advice.

I understand that glocks tend to lend themselves pretty well to caliber conversions, most usually done with barrel replacement kits. And I know this is the most common and probably most cost effective way to accomplish them. Knowing all this I still would like to do conversions with a full slide replacement even though of course it is more expensive to go this route. I have heard the full slide swap is the way to go if reliability is a concern, specially for a dedicated EDC arm.

So my question, is there a source here or somewhere else that shows which frames are fully compatible with which slides etc? Like a list or diagram I could consult?

For example I am thinking of getting a G26 3rd gen as my first glock, I already own a Sig 226 in 9mm so thought it would be a good starting point since I already own that caliber. But would I be able to buy say for example a full g27 slide in the future and mate it to the frame? (I understand I would need new mags too). Is this doable with glocks? Sigs for example I've been told slide conversions are not "recommended" because not all frames are created equal apparently even on the same model line and shooting a .40 cal slide on a 9mm frame could supposedly cause future problems. This coming from a sig service rep directly so who knows. Does glock service hold the same view? Any warranty concerns?

So any advice on conversions using full slide replacements is greatly appreciated. By the way, I am in CA so yea, I'm limited to 3rd gen everything sadly.

Thanks all.

2. mtstream

mtstream

One thing to consider, for many of the other calibers you can buy a used Glock for about the same price as a complete slide.

To answer your question: 9mm, .40, .357 and 45GAP all use the same frame for the same size gun (full, compact, sub-compact).

45 acp and 10mm do the same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    Poseid and DJ Niner like this.

3. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

If a conversion is to be used for serious purposes, often folks will recommend the Trigger Housing w/Ejector also be replaced, as different calibers (even in the same frame size) often use different ejectors, and using the wrong ejector can have a negative effect on reliability. It's not a difficult task, but it does require a partial detail disassembly of the frame to remove and replace the Trigger Housing w/Ejector.

Along the same lines, if the pistol will be used for serious purposes, then it should be well-tested WITH THE AMMO THAT YOU WILL CARRY before pronouncing it reliable. Testing it with 100, 500, or even 1000 rounds of round-nose/FMJ target ammo tells you very little about how it will perform with +P JHP defensive ammo, so don't scrimp on the defensive ammo testing. Your life is worth it.

MO Fugga and Poseid like this.
  4. Poseid

Poseid

Excellent, this is exactly what I was looking for in the way of reference. And good point, I will consider a used one for the same price, thank you!

This is the type of thing I knew I probably would not have realized on my own thank you! Ok so the ejector with trigger housing for the replacement caliber is advised. So say I buy a G26, and later buy a G27 slide for it, I'm guessing I'd order a G27 specific trigger housing with ejector as well then. Gotcha. This actually makes a lot of sense now that you mention it, but would not have thought of it at first.

5. Snappyobx

Snappyobx

I have a bone stock g22 gen 4 which I put a lone wolf 9 mm barrel and return spring on and it shoots great.It shoots a little high but I just adjusted my hold to 6 o'clock.

6. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

That had to have been a lone wolf 40-to-9 conversion barrel and not just a standard 9mm barrel because the conversion barrels have the same OUTSIDE diameter as a 40 barrel but have a 9mm chamber and .355 barrel and what most people don't realize is that the chamber is slightly offset so it's closer to the extractor.

Converting a Glock 21 to 10mm is similar but more problematic and there are usually extraction problems with just a barrel change. However, KKM offers a "Kit" with a modified extractor and spring that comes with the barrel that makes a .45-to-10mm conversion function reliably. I would actually like to sell my model 20SF and get a 21SF and get conversion barrels for both 10mm and 40 super.

But in answer to the original poster's question if it's the same basic size gun, you can interchange Glock 17, 22, or 31 slides and frames with Glock 19,23, and 32 slides and frames and glock 26, 27, and 33 slides and frames as well as clock 20 and 21 slides and frames, but you can't put longer slides on shorter frames or vice-versa.

7. fredj338

fredj338

I've run 1000s of 9mm thru my 40s, G32 & 35, with after market bbl & 9mm mags & it has never failed, not once. I would deem it as reliable as a 9mm designed gun. That is JMO. As noted, buy the time you buy the slide & bbl, you could buy another gun.

8. Snappyobx

Snappyobx

Borg you are correct it was a 40 to 9 conversion barrel my bad

9. TODDC

TODDC

Just get a conversion barrel for it. Did with my 27. No changes to it except barrel. Even used same mags with no issues. Did buy 26 mags to run it with because of the scare of reliability. Still going strong with the 40 mags running 9mm. Also got 357 conversion barrel too for same gun. Same parts in the gun except I did put an even stiffer recoil spring in it and it will still shoot 9mm up to the 40 and 357 with no issues. At least not yet and I have had the gun for a long time and shoot it a lot.

10. TODDC

TODDC

Borg

Just do like I did with my 21SF. Get a 20 complete top end for it. Now I have my 21SF that can shoot 9mm, 357, 40 and 10mm with the 20 slide assembly. Switch tops and now can shoot the 45. So I basically should be able to get ammo one way or another if needed. Plus like the Glock pistols because of that swapping. As I stated above with my 27.

11. mustangman40

mustangman40

FWIW, I purchased a LW 9mm conversion for my Gen 4 G27, and a StormLake 9mm conversion for my Gen 3 G22. I have had zero issues with function out of either one, the G27 has a hair over 500 rounds while the G22 is newer and has only 64 rounds through it.

I did change out the ejector, extractor, and load bearing on the G27, as the ejection pattern was erratic, with most going to the head. These changes were cheap enough, easy enough, and took care of that "problem". The G22 seems fine the way it is so far.
    For the 9mm guts, 2 conversion barrels, and 3 mags, I'm still under $300.

I may be in the minority, but I have zero issues carrying my G27 conversion everyday. I am more accurate and can get back on target quicker than I can in the .40 configuration.
    That's just me though, YMMV.