close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Caliber and ammo for fishing....a little different

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Newbie 9mm, Jul 3, 2003.

1. Newbie 9mm

Newbie 9mm

My uncle wants to go shark fishing, but he is looking for something to finish off the shark if necessary either in the water, or as its coming in. Any ideas of caliber/ammo selection? i dont know how tought shark hide is. Its basically in case of emergencies to dispatch the shark quickly. He isnt going after great whites or anything, but he would like to get a shark for his collection :)

2. Guest

Been there, done that...

The range will be about 2-3 yards, maximum (otherwise, don't shoot!) so 12 gauge (with duck loads) will work fine... keep in mind that a shark's brain is the size of a walnut.

Backcountry

3. Wmarden

Wmarden

I did not know sharks were democrats:)

4. vafish

vafish

That's an insult to sharks.

Democrats are peabrains.

5. Wmarden

Wmarden

and that is an insult to peabrains everywhere:)

6. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I talked to a guy in the gunshop one day, he was visiting a friend here... he is the first mate on a sportfishing boat down off the coast and they do a lot of sharkfishing. He said they used an M-1 carbine for finishing off sharks (and anti-anybody-stealing-the-boat weapon) or occasionally a .357 or shotgun (they had one of each apparently). He bought up like three boxes of Winchester's .30 carbine softpoint loads from the shop cause he said it was hard to find down there at a decent price.

7. MrMurphy

And like backcountry said, he said it was a lean-over the rail and BANG type of shooting, nothing long range.

8. Scott H

Scott H Guest

Elmer Kieth did some shark fishing with his .44mag. Using his standard load of a 250 grain hard cast Keith bullet over 22.0 grains of #2400. He would aim 6 inches below the dorsal fin and they would float up like a goldfish. Oh, and he was shooting them from the Captain's deck of the boat he was on, and the sharks were 20-50 yards out. He didn't like the factory test ammo HP's he had along, they didn't penetrate the shark enough after cutting through the water, they just made the sharks bleed and become dinner for the other sharks.

Point being, use his load and it will kill the shark while it's still in the water, even if it's still submerged a bit.

9. Guest

A couple friends of mine are commercial fishermen in Maine. They will occasionally bring up sharks in the nets or on the lines. Both of them carry those old "Shark Sticks". Basically a short tube about the length of a billy club. Has an assembly at the end that holds a shotgun shell (Normally a 2 3/4" #5 or #6) and a push button trigger secured by a cotter pin.

If a shark is pulled up, they just press the end of the tube up against the bugger's grape and BAMF instant sushi. The light shot load does a number on the shark's noodle, and dosen't run the risk of sinking the boat, since the light shot is unlikely to penetrate a hull.

10. MrMurphy

And if you want an interesting alternative use for bang sticks, read Without Remorse by Tom Clancy.... :)

11. Chucko2340

Chucko2340

I shark fish every wekend and use my g23 or g19 to finish them off. One shut behind the gills in the base of the kneck. Let them bleed out for about 5 to 10 minutes before you bring them aboard.

12. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Yep, the most important thing if the shark is going to be eaten. If you don't shoot them, make sure to cut them open quite well behind the gill and if you can, hang them so the blood empties. The key to eating good shark is to get rid of all of the blood quickly.

13. Chucko2340

Chucko2340

Plus they urinate through their skin so you want to clean them as fast as possible after you bleed them. ALso the reason I said to shoot them behind the giils is beacuase that way you will damage the jaws. Clean the jaws out and lay them on an ant pile for a day or two and they will be ready to hang on the wall.

14. LovemyGlock's

LovemyGlock's

Down here in MS the 410 shotgun is very popular with the fishing guides. I use my G21. Good luck it's alot of fun!!:cool: