Calgary Gun Show

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by isuzu, Apr 6, 2007.

1. isuzu

isuzu

Went to the Calgary Gun Show today,and it was a lot bigger than the one I went to in 2005. The gun show also included a lot of antique arms and memorabilia from WWI and WWII. There were extensive displays of Japanese and German WWII firearms.

There were lots of S&W M&P for sale, and I got to handle one. It surely handles better than the Glocks which I used to own. Strange, but I only saw a G22 and G21; not even a G17. 1911s were also making a strong presence at the gun show. There were 1911s dating from pre-WWII that were for sale (the ones with flat mainspring housings). The best 1911 that I saw was a late 50's National Match 1911A1. The owner was selling it for $1,400.00. It was fired a total of 21 rounds (he still had the shells that he fired the pistol with), and the finish was still original.

Norinco pistols were also abundant. There were lots of Norinco 1911s as well as a number of NZ85s which I'm eager to get my hands on. The trigger pulls of the NZ pistols have greatly improved compared to the ones that first came out. They had a smoother double action pull as well as a cleaner break in single action mode. I also saw a Chinese M-16 which was very well-made. Only the handguard which looks a little retarded needed to be changed.

Also saw several M1 Garands that ranged from $800-$1,900.00. There was an International Harvester Garand that was selling for $1,300.00; an M1-D that was selling for $1,100, and a sniper version with flash hider and original scope that was immediately sold after it was displayed for $1,900.00. Italian-made Garands (not BM-59s) were also selling at around $800.00 and IMO, were in better condition than the Springfields. There was an AR with no forward assist (the upper was obviously an M16 that had the bolt changed); and the lower was a semi-auto (to comply with Canadian Firearms Laws) selling for $1,000.00. An H&R M14 was being sold for $1,200.00.

Notably absent was the Chinese SKSs that were so abundant in the 2005 gunshow (Norinco wasn't able to export to the dealers because of the scarcity of metals, daw). I saw some Chinese M14s which, IMO, were very good looking.:hearts: Wolverine Supplies was selling MK10 SMLEs made in Australia for $700+. They are imported by Sabre Defense Industries, LLC of Nashville, TN.

One shining moment was the presence of Ernie Polintan, a Fil-Canadian who had a booth there. He was selling rifle kits, antique Colt 32s and a few more FN pocket pistols which are now prohibited under Canadian laws. My thanks to him for giving me a tip that the Non-restricted and Restricted licenses are offered by Alberta Hunter Education Instructor's Association for free. Some charge between $200-$400 per course.

2. revo

revo

Canada and USA should just be one country under the US constitution.

3. isuzu

isuzu

I agree, Revo! Kaso lang, there are quite a number of Canadians here that are anti-American.:upeyes: A lot of them hate the Americans, but little do they know that around 65% of their exports go to the US.

They just don't know what they're talking about.

4. MERCMADE

MERCMADE BULLET PROOF

pics naman.
    I havent been canadaside, dont know what guns they/you have, I know they have colt canada though.
    I thought canada had strick gun laws?

5. MERCMADE

MERCMADE BULLET PROOF

here's some pics of the gunshow in towson, baltimore,md.
    this was in feb 07, a couple of weeks ago.Compared to the phil gunshows, the number of guns are impressive.and of course the quantitiy of surplus war rifles of course.loved the P90, and the bushys.
    [​IMG]
    carbon fiber ar15s
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. isuzu

isuzu

The pics you posted made the gunshow here look weak, especially on the pistols and the ARs. :) However, there were lots of bolt action rifles (especially the antique ones) that were on display. In fact, there were more of those antique guns than the modern ones. And, ang baduy nila dito mag set-up ng firearms.

Yes, gun laws here are strict. You have to store your guns at home, UNLOADED, with a trigger lock, and secured in a case. Non-restricted guns such as bolt action rifles, Garands/M1As, SKS, CZ858s, could be transported without a permit; unloaded with trigger lock, etc. Restricted firearms such as pistols, revolvers, SBRs, need a permit to transport. You can call the firearms agency here for a short-term transport, or you can get a long-term transport permit (which is I think, valid for two years).

Norincos can't be transported to the US. BATF will confiscate these guns once they cross the border. Tactical ammo for pistols such as Hydra Shoks, Golden Sabers are not allowed here. You can buy HP heads, and you can load them. Magazine capacity for rifles is only 5 rounds (hi-cap mags are pinned to 5 rounds), and pistol capacity is only limited to 10 rounds.

There is a move by the liberal government to ban ALL semi-auto firearms (the same thing that happened in Australia), and it's a wait-and-see attitude now. I'm not gonna buy a pistol yet. Baka masayang lang.

7. dab

dab

Gun shows in Canada are tame in comparison those in the US to be sure, as are the magazine capacities, rates of fire, and ammunition types. I'm willing, via my democratic prerogative, to accept these limitations knowing that my community is a safer place to live and most notably for the the peace of mind that an unstable individual is unlikely to have access to military grade assault weapons that have but one purpose or that a road rage incident isn't going to escalate into a gun fight. Poor gun shows are another small price to pay.

The degree to which Canada's firearm law's may be considered restrictive is simply a matter of personal opinion. For as long as I can recall I've been around firearms: plinking rim-fire bolt action 22LR since the age of twelve and hunting small game with my grandfather's hinge action 12 gauge since fourteen years old. Also while at fourteen I was shooting 22LR with the Royal Canadian Air Cadets (indoor range in the basement of a local junior high school after school hours). At sixteen I began hunting large game with my grandfather's circa WWII 303 Lee Enfield that I felt great pride to wield, a precision tool out to 200 yards even with simple battlefield sights and my average skills to be sure. At the age of eighteen I received my first firearm: a Lakefield Mossberg 16 Gauge shotgun, but more importantly the privilege of possessing a firearm without strict supervision.

I'm now pursuing my restricted firearms license that will allow me to obtain my first Glock, the prerequisites include a safety and basic training course offered by the provincial firearms officer followed by a comprehensive background check by the RCMP, and membership with a local club. This procedure will allow me to join my cousin at the range for some semi-competitive shooting, and lots of fun I'm sure.

A gun shop isn't permitted to let unauthorized people (incorrect or no license) to so much as handle a restricted weapon, hence gun shows being few and far between, the market it just too small. This inconvenience is a small price to pay and with the internet and informative forums like this to educate me I don't really mind at all.

I've never felt access to firearms in Canada was difficult to obtain, and our national gun registry is not a first step to banning firearms; Any talk of banning semi-automatic weapons is just a natural reaction to a horrible tragedy and with any luck some good will come of such events, such as a greater and more detailed background search to help keep dangerous tools out of the hands of unstable individuals.

BTW: Our criminal code also specifically identifies a "morning star" as a prohibited weapon. I also don't have to worry about some lunatic running down the street swinging a spiked metal ball connected to a chain, too bad for those Medieval types out there though!

laws.justice.gc.ca/en/ShowFullDoc/cr/SOR-98-462///en

8. revo

revo

that's all well and good, dab.

except for one thing - canada does not have a second amendment.

i'll grant you canadians one thing though - those montreal chicks are hot.

:supergrin:

9. gundog

gundog senior gunner

i'll grant you canadians one thing though - those montreal chicks are hot.

:supergrin: [/B][/QUOTE]

you can say that again!!!:thumbsup:

10. gillbates

gillbates

Of course, if there will be a grandfather clause for guns already in citizens' hands, it makes sense to buy all the pistols you can get.

11. isuzu

isuzu

I don't know if it will be the same as the one that happened in Australia. Semi-automatic guns were surrendered to the police. The government paid more than $260 million in exchange for the guns.