Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a lot of deliberation, about three years ago I bought a Cabot 1911; the Gentleman's Carry. From making the decision to delivery-about a week. Now, you can expect to wait about a year. Possibly find one on the Web, but general delivery time for their guns is about a year. And they start at about $4,000. What do you get for this amount of money? Obviously, a beautiful, high quality gun. And a shooter. Mine is an EDC gun with several thousand rounds down range. And customer service that is tops in the industry, in my opinion. And here's the story. I called Cabot about 3 years ago and Rob answered the phone (owner and CEO). Talked to him for about a half hour about the gun I wanted and his ideas. Last week, and several years after selling out a year ahead of time some of the most beautiful and top quality guns in the business, I called Cabot about a question, and Rob answered the phone. Again, we talked in detail about my question concerning cuts for a Red Dot sight, and he was in no hurry to hang up or get on with other business that I'm sure he had to deal with. Try calling Baer, Wilson or Ed Brown and try getting them to come to the phone, let alone that they would answer their own phone. And I read about how customer service is non existent for Glock Store and other such businesses that have been incredibly busy since the "gun rush". So I write this for those that want to knock as they like to say, "over priced guns", safe queens and those that choose to buy them. Before knocking a gun, shoot it. And I will quote from a discussion I had with Jeff Cooper years ago, "it's only too expensive if you don't have it to spend". So in closing, in the case of Cabot, their success has not gone to their head (Rob's), and they are still there to serve those that are interested in purchasing their gun, or have already done so. Rare in this day and age.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have been intrigued by Cabot. They certainly are very well made. I am in their backyard, and that’s another reason I might buy one.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Quality costs. As long as the product delivers, I've never had a problem with high prices - you get what you pay for, and there aren't many bargains anymore.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. Great to see a company that cares about their products and customers. While many say it's outdated, nothing feels, shoots and looks as good as a 1911. I'm just a casual gun guy so I don't have any interest in purchasing something like a Cabot but I certainly appreciate the beauty and craftsmanship of such a fine piece.

Sent from my SM-A125U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The Cabot isn't just a great looking pistol, but really groups good. This from 5 yards, offhand.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One hole drill. Start with a pencil dot and from a distance of 5 yards (3 yards if no one can see the dot at 5 yards) and fire 5 rounds into the dot creating one hole. Used this a lot when I taught law enforcement and maybe only 2 or 3 could satisfactorily do it. Easier with a .45 acp because obviously it creates a bigger hole and easier to connect each shot. Harder with a 9mm but with practice and a lot of concentration can get consistent results. Of all the drills I do and had them do, this one probably shows up weaknesses the most. Miss one shot and you have blown the exercise. ,

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Yeah, yeah...but my Rock Island Armory...

:)

Beautiful pistol Sir. Thanks for sharing it.

·
Beretta 92 Nut!
5,471 Posts
Yes, I love when people want to talk trash about high end 1911s, and want to compare it to their Taurus, Rock Island, Armscor, etc guns.... You never understand until you own one....

VERY nice!

·
Registered
203 Posts
One hole drill. Start with a pencil dot and from a distance of 5 yards (3 yards if no one can see the dot at 5 yards) and fire 5 rounds into the dot creating one hole.
I practice a somewhat similar drill called "clover leaf", it's an excellent session closer. One shot holding the gun with both hands, then one from the right and one from the left hand. If 3 holes connect, you move the target away a bit more. Very few people can do it past 5 yards, and I can count on one hand the shooters who are able to consistently do it past 8 yards.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I practice a somewhat similar drill called "clover leaf", it's an excellent session closer. One shot holding the gun with both hands, then one from the right and one from the left hand. If 3 holes connect, you move the target away a bit more. Very few people can do it past 5 yards, and I can count on one hand the shooters who are able to consistently do it past 8 yards.
I remember the first time I did this. Seemed simple and I did have one hole. Only problem was that my one hole was about one inch to the left of the pencil dot and a bit lower. Sounds simple until you try it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I remember the first time I did this. Seemed simple and I did have one hole. Only problem was that my one hole was about one inch to the left of the pencil dot and a bit lower. Sounds simple until you try it.
I don't do the pencil dot actually, that makes things even more interesting. I use either a blank space of my regular target for the first shot, or clip a sheet of plain white paper as a target. Then I use a hole from the first shot as a bullseye.

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
I'm a big fan of the "dot torture" drill. Beautiful pistol BTW.

·
The wind serenades a purified man.
4,616 Posts
I like the pistol. I also like the combination of a BBQ/EDC gun. When considered from that perspective, you really got your money's worth! Congratulations on your newest acquisition.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When I went back and looked at the picture of my target on the one hole drill, I had obviously fired more than 5 shots. I was on a roll and just kept firing more rounds. Once you get a pretty big hold the drill becomes pretty easy. 5 rounds is ideal, and the first three tell the story. I would guess that with a red dot sight, this drill would become infinitely easier although I haven't tried it with the one pistol that I have the Trijicon RMR-Type 2 sight mounted. Then maybe 7 yards left handed :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts