Cable Modem Question.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by git_r_dun0405, Mar 19, 2005.

1. git_r_dun0405

git_r_dun0405 5FDP

I have a COM 21 cable modem, its rented from the cable office. I was told that this modem was outdated. The same person told me that he couldnt believe that I could even get online with this modem. He advised me to buy a new cable modem that is up to date. and to return the rented modem. Can I do that? Can I buy my own cable modem and use it?

2. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena Platinum Member

Yes, you can return it and buy a cable/DSL Modem and add a router/hub and/or wireless unit. You will get a pretty good firewall in the process.

Make sure they take the leased unit off your bill.

3. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM

Actually the info above doesn't really apply. You should be able to buy a cable modem. You need to verify with your cable company first if they allow personal cable modems. I've had 2 different cable companies and only one would allow personal cable modems. If so then you should be good to go. A cable modem will cost 70-90 bucks so if you plan on keeping it for 7 months depending on your monthly fee it's totally worthwhile to have your own. More so than the technology updates even is the money saved.

You can also buy a router but it doesn't really apply to what you want to do.

4. bobby_w

The information does apply. I just left out one word. Modem. ;g
    He also said his cable company told him to buy his own Modem.

Here is an example.

Linksys Cable Modem

or
    D-Link

or
    Motorola

or
    Belkin

5. git_r_dun0405

git_r_dun0405 5FDP

It was a friend that told me to buy another modem. Not the cable company. Thanks to you all for the info. :)

6. bobby_w

Then you must check with the Cable Company.

Not sure why your associate told you he was suprised that the one you were provided by the cable company was still working. Mine is at least 4 years old and was provided with a no lease contract. I just pay my monthly access fee.

7. git_r_dun0405

git_r_dun0405 5FDP

Ok Thanks Ill check /w the cable company.:)

8. modgun

modgun CLM

If your modem works, there is no reason you need a new one. When it is outdated, it will stop working properly. Then you get a new one.

When you want a new one you CAN check with your company but most of the time you do NOT NEED to check. That is a myth from the providers, from back in the day when they wanted to lease everyone the modems and charge you. It isnt that big of a deal now as they know most people just go to the store and buy a new one when theirs breaks. Before, they had you return it and they would send out a new one. All so they can continue to charge you 3$ a month or whatever.

And, yes, it is important to make sure they actually remove that charge after you return the rented one, theyll say they will, but then forget.