close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

cable modem is taking longer to re-train ?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by TooManyGlocks, Sep 21, 2006.

1. TooManyGlocks

TooManyGlocks Semper Fi

My ISP is switching from Adelphia to Time Warner . . . anyhow I have noticed that my cable modem is taking longer to re-train the connection when I periodically power down the unit. Just got off the phone with tech support and he claimed my modem my be going bad. Apparently I was showing some data lose but the connections was good. Do these units just go bad gradually or do they just quit. I have a Toshiba PCX 2200 I have had this modem since at least 2003 or 2004.

Any thoughts?:upeyes:

2. lens

lens

Can't answer your direct question about dying vs. going bad gradually, but I'll offer the following thoughts.

- Was this a problem with the old company or only now that someone else took over? If only with new company there could be a compatibility issue such that your unit isn't 100% compatible with their new system.

- It's not worth wasting much time over a cable modem that is a few years old. New ones can be bought for ~$60 or less and will support higher transfer speeds than the old ones. I have a friend who works for Comcast Cable and she told me that the newer units will support transfer speeds of 1.5-2x what my 5 year old cable modem could do. Thus, during a sale, I replaced my old unit (which worked perfectly) and replaced it with one that is now getting me 8-900kbps DL speed . . . well worth the $60.

- I'd ask TW what brands/models they recommend/support and shop the sales fliers for the best deal. Plug new one in, call TW with the Physical Address (long string printed on cable modem label) of the new device and ask them to "provision" (register it against your account) it.

3. malkore

malkore

I'm on my 5th cable modem.

yes, they can go bad.