close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cabelas-worth a visit?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ashecht, Aug 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. ashecht

ashecht

In NY for a wedding tonight and I will be passing right by a Cabelas in PA on my way home tomorrow. Never been to one. Is it worth stopping there for ammo or is it just another Bass Pro/Gander Mtn and not worth it?

2. jmarkt

jmarkt

Yes, take your time, its a big place

3. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

If you are referring to the Hamburg Pa. location it's one of the better ones on the east coast,second best would be Hartford Ct.,JMO. SJ 40

4. B_RAD

B_RAD

Out of all the big box stores Cabelas is my favorite! Gndr Mtn, Bass Pro, Academy all suck IMO. We had a Sportsmans Warehouse here for a while and I liked it a lot but it closed. A Cabelas opens here at the end of the month. I will end up going broke.:crying:

5. professorpinki

professorpinki Bumbling idjit

It's worth stopping at for more than just the ammo...

6. zebra03

zebra03

You could spend a whole day in there .

7. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

Yes, the aquarium is worth it alone. There's a cool animal museum with champion deer catches among others. The snackbar has an assortment of meat sandwiches like ostrich, deer, buffalo (if I recall). They also have an expensive gun museum.

8. Monte4283

Monte4283

And I have at the Dundee, MI store. It's not just a store it's a museum with the animal displays and Aquariums. Definetly worth stopping.

9. ashecht

ashecht

Yup, it's the one in hamburg pa

10. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Be sure to check the on-line store sale prices. I found that if I bring a copy of the on-line sale ads to the store, they will give me the same deal in person. If they don't have the item in stock, they ship it to me for free, at the sale price.

The have good ammo prices on sale and seem to be one of the more reputable dealers.

My store is 20 miles away but worth the drive.

11. "Cold Dead Hands" !

"Cold Dead Hands" !

Definitely !
    The whole family will like it.

12. cajun_chooter

cajun_chooter

the cabelas closest to me .. matched the price in a Calelas sale flyer..
    i like Cableas its one of my fav stores..

13. Raleigh Glocker

Raleigh Glocker

The Hamburg Cabela's is their biggest store. They've got RV parking and a hotel across the street for people who make a weekend of it. It's a tourist attraction as much as a store.

The sad thing for me is that I grew up 25 minutes from there (Pottsville), and then they went and put that store up after I permanently moved to NC. :(

14. 4949shooter

4949shooter

The Hamburg store is woth stopping for. It's more than an hour and a half from my house but I still go there a few times a year. The ammo selection there is pretty good.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  15. jb1911

jb1911

16. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

Most Cabelas have RV parking and some dump stations,great place to overnight.
    Last time I was there with a couple of friends,on our way to a match in Maryland.
    We asked at the service desk and the explained that it was fine with them to park the truck and trailer in their lot but we would most likely be rousted out some time between 2:00 am and 4:00 am. Seems as the township police had a ordnance against it, So we asked if their was someplace nearby where we could park and not draw attention.
    They said there was a truck stop a couple of miles where they didn't bother,so we spent the night parked between two 18 wheelers,Great store though. SJ 40

17. ak103k

ak103k

If youre going there with the intent of getting something specific, make sure you make a hard copy list. Once you hit the door, sensory overload sets in, and you'll end up with everything but whats on your list. :)

One thing to watch out for though, is the Gun Library. My dad was looking online at a used Browning O/U shotgun they had there. We got there and he was looking at it, and while it was nice, it had no box, or accessories (chokes, etc) and they wanted $2600 for the gun. He was thinking it over and talking to the boy there and I walked out to the gun counter to see what was what. There on the rack, was the exact same gun, brand new, with everything, for $1800. When I went back in and asked about it, the boy gave me kind of a a stern look, and just shrugged.

They also had a nothing special Walther P1 in there with its holster and accessories for $525, and in the counter outside, the same thing for $350. I got the exact same thing at Gander for $299 a couple of months earlier.

It pays to do your homework and know what youre looking at and what things are going for. Most of what Ive seen there wasnt real special price wise, although I have seen some good deals in the "used" racks out in front of the counter.

18. Lee-online

Lee-online Mul-ti-pass

The Hamburg store is a short drive for me so i go there often. Depending on what time and what day it can be so busy its frustrating. The ammo prices are good along with the sales but the gun prices are way too high. Take your camera because there are some really cool pics to take.

If i am in a rush, i can get in and out of there in 3 hours.

19. frontier2011

frontier2011 Give Me Brass

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  20. dkf

dkf

Been there a LOT since they opened. If you like overpriced stuff and clueless staff go for it. It is a nice place but they never seem to have what I am looking for and thier prices are more than my local shops for guns, ammo, reloading stuff and etc. The store is nothing special.