Cabela's Suckered Me - New S&W 22A

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by JoeInKS, Feb 28, 2010.

1. JoeInKS

JoeInKS

Mistake number 1 - Going to Cabela's this weekend. Big sales going on. Hundreds of people. Tons of workers behind gun area.

Mistake number 2 - Wanted to see a Stoeger that was on sale for jollies so took a number. I believe that it had rolled over 4 times and at the time they were serving 61, I got a ticket for 83. Said to myself, "this is ridiculous, I'll give this 15 minutes and leave"

Mistake number 3 - Everybody ahead of me was seemingly eyeballing something else and winding up with a Smith Wesson 22A 22LR that was on-sale for $199. I began wondering what the heck was going on. Must have sold about 8 while I was waiting. Started getting hyped up to see what was going on with this.

Then all of a sudden, about 7 or 9 numbers ahead of me are called and no one answers. What's up? My number's next. See the sales guy that I love to talk to (has over 200 pistols, rifles, etc.) and he's the one who calls my number. I'm thinking that this is cool, will get a chance to talk to more of a friend than a sales guy and get his straight opinion. We start talking about the gun and he convinces me that for the money, its a great deal. I picked it up and dry fired it a few times. Very nice overall feel and really, really surprising trigger feel.

I wind up buying one. What the heck I keep telling myself. Made me feel good. Now have a cheapo plinker that I feel I can beat on, drop, etc. My much nicer 22LR's now have a beater and they are safe.

Took it out to the range today. Just wanted to plink away. SURPRISE!! The darn thing shoots great! It shot all the bulk carp that I put in it and shot it very well. Put the thing on a sandbag that I brought and shot. Excellent......

Gentlemen, ladies, kids......... terrific pistol. Highly recommend one. Honestly shoots better than I can.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  2. bac1023

bac1023

Congrats.

They're good plinkers. :)

3. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

My 22A has maybe 20,000 rounds on it. I love that thing.

4. JoeInKS

JoeInKS

Yeah, so far, I can really see why they are well regarded with their most recent production runs. Seems like the issue of past are gone. My plinking today with about 250 rounds was a terrific time. Wish that I had a 100 shot capability with it. Only bad part was the constant reloading.

Thank you Smith and Wesson........ you have again impressed me.

5. CBennett

CBennett

I got one a couple years ago...it came down to that or the Sig P6 when they were on sale for CHEAP...I decided the 22A because me and my son(10 yrs old) woud have more fun with a 22A than a 9mm which he cant really shoot yet...but we both love the 22A with a red dot scope on it.

6. volsbear

What size barrel did you get? I have the 7 inch.

7. professor gun

professor gun

Stock up on the plastic buffers and the recoil springs because you will be replacing them on a regular basis. I have two S & W 22A's and will be getting rid of them soon.

8. volsbear

20,000 rounds... I'm still on my first plastic buffer and recoil spring.

9. CBennett

CBennett

lol same here ive shot near 7,000 on 1 and it came with 2 and the first one is still fine so I dont know unless you shoot a TON 10,000+ a year if its gonna be a problem lol. and they will send ya new ones FREE.

10. JoeInKS

JoeInKS

I got the 5.5" barrel version. Just seemed like a great deal for the money.

Hope to have the same luck as most folks with the more current examples that have been recently sold and reviewed.

If not......... at least I didn't spend $500 or more on yet another gun.

11. PzGren

PzGren

That is the very reason that I had bought a 22A about a decade ago, it has now about 90,000 rounds through it and I do not regret the purchase. Mine is the four inch version, offering more recoil than the longer barrelled ones which makes it a good warm-up gun.

12. Lowrangerider

Lowrangerider

Yes, they did sucker you...
    Hate burst a bunch peoples bubbles but the 22A sucks. We have had many come back with broken frames fro cheap casting; also the super cheap slide catch/release. No thanks, I'll stick to Ruger or Browning for my semi-autos...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  13. PzGren

PzGren

Who's we?! My 22As frame lasted for over 60,000 rounds and few people - even on this esteemed forum - will put that many rounds through a single gun.

The frame usually cracks when the little stud that connects the upper to the lower is getting unscrewed. Once the little gun heats up, the Loctite is loosing its intended purpose.

14. deadite

deadite Groovy.

No pics?

deadite

15. lanternlad

lanternlad Mythmatician

You dry-fired a rimfire? That's a no-no..

16. CBennett

CBennett

I dry fired mine B4 I bought it BUT I asked the counter guy if he had any snapcaps first :)

17. Esox357

Esox357

No problem with mine. It loves federal ammo only but thats okay. I'm going to put a red dot on mine and not look back. Esox357.