Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cabelas has 180gr Hornady Critical Defense ammo for $21.99. This is a special run for Cabelas and was listed on the Hornady site last time I looked, but I emailed them and got some info velocity is 1210 fps and the energy is 536 ft/lb. This is info I got from Hornadys' tech dept.

·
Not an Expert!
870 Posts
Cabelas has 180gr Hornady Critical Defense ammo for $21.99. This is a special run for Cabelas and was listed on the Hornady site last time I looked, but I emailed them and got some info velocity is 1210 fps and the energy is 536 ft/lb. This is info I got from Hornadys' tech dept.
Don't believe anything you read...

·
Registered
364 Posts
Doubt all those claims.

·
Frisky!
35,968 Posts
You doubters have any proof?
:supergrin:

·
10mm Philosopher
6,107 Posts
Let's ask this: assuming that velocity is a "true read," from what barrel length was it derived? Did Hornady specify? Thanks.

:cool:

·
10mm Auto
1,766 Posts
Even if it's a true claim that doesn't seem impressive for a 180gr. bullet. I still think Hornady CD in 10mm would probably work just fine for self defense and it's great to see more options being made available for this caliber.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The #'s were email to me from the Hornady tech dept with no other info. The info in large font (blue) was copy/pasted directly from my email, thats the formating it was in.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Was chrono test info provided?

Temp? Altitude? Barrel length pistol type? Location of chrono in relation to the muzzle?

I am not saying the info is wrong, but the info came from the manufacturer correct?

I have not been doing this long but sometimes the performace data is exagerrated. Not saying it's the case here but a healthy dose of skepticism sometimes is a good thing.

Maybe someone else can provide chrono date of their own.

·
10mm Philosopher
6,107 Posts
Even if it's a true claim that doesn't seem impressive for a 180gr. bullet. I still think Hornady CD in 10mm would probably work just fine for self defense and it's great to see more options being made available for this caliber.
You're right, it's not that impressive for a general 10mm 180gn load.

But for a Hornady 10mm load, that is impressive since the Critical Def's 180gn fps/fpe specs are better than for Hornady's older 180gn XTP load:

The 180gn XTP load is spec-ed @ 1180fps/556fpe.

The 180gn CD load is spec-ed @ 1210fps/585fpe.

In fact, for those 10Ringers old enough to remember, the Hornady CD load is slighter better than ProLoad's 180gn Gold Dot @ 1200fps/575fpe. And, back in the day, that was one heck of an super-accurate, mid-range 10mm round.

Of course, the PL stuff was all pre-Texas Ammo, pre-DT, pre-BB, & pre-SwampFox, so maybe that's not saying much these days. :shocked: But the 10mm users who carried PL's 180gn rd did so because they didn't want the ubiquitous FBI-Lite, .40-level crapola.

Yep, High & Hard 10mm users then, ... and some still around now. ;)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
agtman is right. I posted this info because I wanted to let everyone know of another commercial loading for our beloved 10mm. I thought that if some of us atleast bought a box to try it might help create more loadings from other manufacturers, and if its not up to snuff it needs tested and brought to Hornadys' attention. So what if its not a tactical nuke packed into a 1.260 in OAL cartridge, I have a press in the garage to make that possible.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
appreciate it. you're right as much as we hear about 10mm scarcity, we shouldn't start by "criticizing" performance of the ammo. The fact of the the matter is it's available, and from a major retailer to boot. If we purchase enough maybe Cabelas will start carrying more of it for everyone. Not every load has to be nuclear.

I definitely came across as ungrateful and if it was taken that way I apologize big time. Maybe not the best, but a 180g projectile creating 500 ft / lbs + is nothing to sneeze at. We all admit that some commercial ammo is not loaded to the max but for use in SD against 2 legged animals it is very adequate.

Again I did not mean to seem ungrateful for the info, because I am not.

thanks for the info.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
:tongueout:Ah the love of all things of the mighty 10 are a harsh mistress. We all get a little crazy:crazy: about our addictions.:grouphug:

·
Frisky!
35,968 Posts
ProLoad made a decent .41 mag load.

·
10mm Philosopher
6,107 Posts
ProLoad made a decent .41 mag load.
Yes. I had a shooting bud who was all over that .41 mag load. Tried to duplicate it w/ his handloads, but never could, ... so he said. :dunno:

·
Semper Fidelis
121 Posts
Hornady ammo has always met or exceeded their published vels out of 5" bl in all my testing over the last 25 or so years. Their original 155gr load listed as 1410fps not bad by any standards. It was a warm load that moved as listed. Hornady has great quality control. I'm primarily a reloader but will buy a couple boxes just to support the cause.

Proload was great stuff. Still have a dozen boxes of their 180 gd, and range ammo

·
Frisky!
35,968 Posts
:wavey::wavey:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I just checked the safe. My .40 Hornady CD is 165gr JHP. My 10mm Hornady is standard issue 180gr XTP, not CD.

I keep the Hornady stuff around until my reloading accumen allows me to reliably load 200gr at 1200 FPS.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts