close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CA vs Texas - The Throw-down

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TSAX, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

[​IMG]

You may pass.

No libs.

2. phil evans

phil evans

texas should invite companies worth less than 100kk.
    smaller companies are more agile and less encumbered by stifling work envrionments.
    multibillion dollar companies tend to want to spread their clout.

3. CAcop

CAcop

CA's population growth is slowing now. I think it is because the "good" jobs are not growing as much as they used to. The lower paying jobs are pretty much topping off too. How many ag and service workers do you need to add as the state slows down in growth?

As far as the big boys go they aren't going to leave anytime soon. There are 10,000 Applied Materials employees in Santa Clara alone. Forget Milpitas, Sunnyvale, San Mateo, etc.

Like .264 mag said it is the small to mid size companies that have the most incentive to leave. They are most likely to leave with expansion, then HQ leaving.

The big boys are less likely to leave because they can afford it and they want that "Silicon Valley" address on their products or services. The cities around here fight over who truly is "The Capital of the Silicon Valley." It really is the region, mostly in Santa Clara county with San Mateo and Alameda counties getting a little piece of the action.

the Silicon Valley is also closest to Asia. With three international airports all within an hours drive of each other and right on the West Coast there is no way TX can compete with that. Sure the big guys can add on a few extra hours of the flight but all of the drones doing the work are going to add on connecting flights which costs time and money.

The real problem is east vs. west in CA. West is very urban and either tech or entertainment driven. East is ag based. Very different folks and very different ways of life.

4. Cavalry Doc

Right, and just how hard will it be to add non-stop to DFW and AUS if there is a demand. The airline industry is flexible enough to accommodate demand, it does not dictate demand.

The peoples republic of Kalifornia was once the mecca for young people wanting to make something of themselves, that time has passed. Look around the world. Many former desirable locations have become cesspools. Kalifornia is America's Greece.

5. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

IIRC there is a non-skid to and from DFW to Sydney now. I like Cali more than many wine country, SF and SD are regular stops for us. That said they need to pull their collective act together of Cali. will continue to decline.

6. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Better watch out, Texans. I hear those boys from San Francisco got a mean slap.

7. Cavalry Doc

:cool: Bring that surfer bad arse here bra.

Only if you really want to. B sure thats what you really want to do first.

:whistling:

8. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

I have seen what California did to Colorado, Northen New Mexico, and Arizona. Please, please stay in California.

9. J.ThaddeusToad

J.ThaddeusToad Checkmate

bwAHH ha ha haaaa... Too late! We already crossed over the border, established residency, and voted!:devilish:

10. ezdaar

ezdaar

+1
    Stay Out.

11. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

Nah, keep a small corridor to the north. We might could use some Oklahomans.

Consider that companies such as Google and ebay and Hewlett Packard do not pay the same in taxes and other state burdens that my little company would. They have the same leverage that major league sports teams do: give us a deal or we'll walk.

So, the states give them tax abatements and anything they want.

It happened in St. Louis during the 1970s and 1980s. To attract large company presence, St. Louis gave them 10 or 20 year tax abatements, set up TIFs ( legally steal someone else's land) and funded improved infrastructure just to get companies such as Metropolitan Life, Monsanto, Bank of America, E.F. Hutton and others to build corporate offices downtown.

St. Louis has a 1% earnings tax per employee and at the time, had an oppressive Merchants and Manufacturers tax.

To make up for the loss of revenue, the city began raping the small to medium businesses. Twenty years later, there are no small to medium businesses in the city. They either moved or gave up.

When St. Louis ran out of money and threatened to treat Ralston Purina like any other company, the Chow folk said, Go ahead, make our day and we'll move 20,000 employees and our entire operation out to St. Louis County. Guess who won?

Any honest, hard-working feller, doesn't matter where they're from, that wants to try his hand at business and be treated somewhat fair by the state, come to Texas. Yes, we have some dumb laws, but we're trying.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  12. ChiTownPicaro

ChiTownPicaro

So you are saying that states like Utah, Texas, and other rural states lack sufficient talent? It would make sense as cities and urban areas are the major tech centers and users as well as innovators.

13. MSDGlock

MSDGlock

14. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Don't feel bad. The folks over where you are from in Chicago have things to offer too. One of the highest murder, crime rates in the nation. One of the most corrupt political machines in the nation. But, hey, were good over here. No need to export the goods of Crook County.

15. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

One of my friends is a lobbiest for a major CA telicommunications company and he was keeping track of major companies leaving CA. In 2011 he counted close to 400 companies that bailed out of CA. In the 1st quarter of 2012 there was close to 200 already.

Gov. Moonbeam is a complete MORON to think that more companies aren't leaving due to more taxes and regulations. I don't blame any company that moves out of CA and I wish them luck.

16. Ruggles

Ruggles

Texas vs California.....regarding anything......

Is that even a real debate?

:)

P.S. TexMex food is a whole lot better than that Mexi-Cali stuff!

17. Andy123

Andy123

While true, it is interesting to note that CA has built all a sizable portion of its electrical infrastructure in NV, which make them quite vulnerable.

18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

When did those companies move from another state, to California? I assume they did, because your comment would be irrelevant to the topic, if they started there.

Pretty sure facebook is the only one that moved to CA

19. skeeter1959

skeeter1959

Agreed. We are overrun by illegal mexicans, kalies and new yawkers would add to our problems. Teaxas is closed! :whistling:

20. Zombie Surgeon

Zombie Surgeon MODELATOR

Let me try to explain to you what the reality is: big companies like Chevron, HP and Google and the rest of the Silicon Valley taken together are but a fraction of CA economy. The same truth stands for any state in the Union: big companies economic output is dwarfed by the myriads of small companies nobody heard about.

The economic engine that moves America are small to medium companies like these. Hundred of thousands of them. They employ hundreds of times more people and produce hundreds of times more products and services then the corporate giants. It is these companies who are hurt in CA and are leaving for greener pastures.

As for me I am counting the days until my wife finishes her PhD. and takes the first available job offer from any University from TX, NM, AZ or UT. I will close my business in L.A. and I will never set foot in this bloody communist cesspool again.
    Fyou California and Fyou Jerry Brown