• Sig Sauer TTT 1911

Votes: 2 5.6%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
S&W, SigSauer, H&K, Winchester, and Glock
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory
So here in Ca with the CCW situation looks like where I am it’ll be 3 guns and renewal will require qualifying with each. Question for y’all out there is what to add for my 3rd... I have all the guns I am mentioning and would like to add one of them to my Glock 43 and S&W Airweight J Frame 38 special.
The ones we have as options to add as the 3rd are a G30, G19, or a Sig TTT 1911. I carry a backpack a lot and this will spend some time in that as backup to my usual 43 or J Frame I wear on body. Remember in Ca we have the 10 round magazine issue. Opinions and advice appreciated. And don’t forget to cast vote in the poll above as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
488 Posts
If was me I'd ditch the j frame since you already have a G43 for deep carry. I would add a G19 as an EDC regardles of capacity (carry a spare mag and practice mag changes) cause it's so easy to shoot with a full grip. For the third, it seems you want a .45. I'd go G30 for the weight savings over a 1911 platform and commonality with triggers.

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
It all depends on the agency you are with. There are no standards, all counties and PD's have different rules. Some allow 3, some allow 6. Some have stringent quals, some have weak quals. Some allow mods, most do not. Doesn't matter, just get the most training you can afford

·
Registered
37,692 Posts
Having been involved in volunteering to help teach CCW classes for 10 years after they made the big change to the laws in 1999, I can empathize with your situation if you live where the issuing authority (sheriff or chief) has decided to restrict the number of guns permitted to only 3 (usually because the standardized license card has 3 lines and makes it easy to "limit" it to no more than that number).

I've known of some counties where they only permitted as few as ONE gun, and other places where they permitted more than the standard 3 lines (which means they have to type in the descriptions and serial numbers of additional guns in the available blank spaces on the card). I knew of one license that listed eight concealable firearms.

Anyway, since you already have a couple of nicely compact and handy choices (J-frame & G43), if I were in your situation I'd probably go for the G30. It's a slightly larger medium-to-largish model (despite that Glock likes to call it a "subcompact" in .45ACP ;) ), and offers you the option of carrying a larger caliber (than .38SPL/9mm) if you feel the desire, and conforms to the same manual-of-arms as your existing G43.

Don't get me wrong, as I'm also a longtime 1911 aficionado, owning 5 of them at the present, and I've helped train cops to use them as a firearms instructor (swat), as well as having gone through the Colt pistol armorer class for them. I like them and consider them viable personal defense weapons. I've certainly trained and practiced with them, and still carry one from time to time.

However, unless you're sufficiently practiced and experienced with them, carrying one as a CCW might lend itself to some future moment of manipulation confusion regarding the safety lock (aka-thumb safety) under a moment of extreme stress or injury. I've also seen the occasional 1911 shooter grasp the butt slightly "off", and be unable to properly depress the grip safety, so the gun didn't fire in some rapid drill situation (until the shooter shifted and adjusted his grip).

Your call. If you decide to choose it because you like it and it's cool, that's your call to make, too, and only needs to be justified to yourself.

You have checked to confirm you can add a Single Action 1911-style pistol to your license, right? I only ask because there was a time several years ago when I learned of one SoCA county where the "type" of pistols permitted were narrowly restricted (and some calibers, as well) when it came to make/model, design & manipulation and even caliber.

This is all up to you, though. Which one(s) are you really willing to stake your life upon if you're ever caught up in some unexpected, dynamic, chaotic and rapidly evolving deadly force situation? Your call, and your opinion is the only one that matters (notwithstanding any restrictions imposed by the issuing authority, of course).

Personally, having carried and used a respectable number of revolvers and pistols over the years of my career, and having served as a LE firearms instructor and armorer, I tend to go for smaller and lighter for my retirement CCW choices. Too many long days/nights where I was required to belt on some full-size handgun, including going back to the all-steel revolver days. (Once upon a time I carried some different large frame .44MAG revolvers off-duty, both OWB & IWB, and they got heavy after a lot of hours.)

Good luck to you. :)

·
Have Gun Will Travel
3,461 Posts
Sig didn't make the cut. Between the 19 & 30, I really wanted to vote for the 30 but IMO the 19 is the best CCW of those mentioned.

·
S&W, SigSauer, H&K, Winchester, and Glock
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fastbolt and the rest of y’all are very informative. I appreciate all the advise and suggestions. I had someone on the side mention a 21sf as well. So much to think over.

·
23,078 Posts
Fastbolt and the rest of y’all are very informative. I appreciate all the advise and suggestions. I had someone on the side mention a 21sf as well. So much to think over.
Think about a G26 or G27. both more concealable than any of the other guns mentioned, and a 40 is closer to the 45 in power than it is to the 9.

·
G43 Fanboy
3,015 Posts
If it were not for the 10 rounds restriction, I would vote for the G19. But a G19 with 10 rounder magazines just do not make sense... So I vote for the G30.

I still have two 10 rounders from the “Clinton Ban” era that I use on the range. But I never carried them because I had enough pre-ban magazines to survive that dark age...

Reactions: NorCal72

·
NRA Benefactor
5,977 Posts
I applaud your choice of the J frame and G43. As for a third pistol, in my case none of the above. I assume you are thinking of adding a gun you already have.

You have chosen two calibers (9mm and 45ACP) on three different platforms. I don't see what the 19 will get you over the G43 except more shots and possibly a little better accuracy. Considering the 21 foot justified shooting rule everyone seems to be teaching, I don't see where the 19 will get you any advantage.

I might consider G30 over the 1911. Except for width, it's more compact than the 1911.

For me, none of the choices you present would be considered. There are other calibers as good or better on the same or similar size on platforms you listed.

My considerations are: caliber, concealability, functionality in all situations, accuracy in my hands, and fastest recovery in case of a malfunction. Not necessarily in that order.

All three of your choices are either too large or too awkward for me to carry concealed or even possibly use in my normal day to day situations and activities.

After years of trial and error, I've gravitated more toward revolvers. In my case, I currently list three revolvers and one semi, but everyone's life style is different.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
I carried a Government model 1911 for my off-duty/go to court gun and to this day I still carry a full size 1911 in my retirement. Having said that, I would urge you to really consider the G30. You can't get a Gen 4 because of California's Roster requirements but in a Gen 3 it's still a winner. The key is a holster when carrying a G30/29.
A good quality holster will help ease some of the thickness feel on a IWB. I carried a G29 for almost 2 years as my retirement gun and really it wasn't an issue for "thickness" and I'm really an average size guy and never had an issue with comfort or concealment.
Good luck!

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
I would move to Arizona and carry anything and buy anything without any restrictions!
:50cal::2gun:

Arizona is not UTOPIA, it's change to PURPLE.

Reactions: 1L26

·
Registered
38,990 Posts
Any chance you might consider a G29? It is the same form factor as the G30. Not sure you can own one in CA.
Sure you can own any handgun you can get legally.
Every county is diff. I live in orange, used to be 5 gun limit but recently went unlimited. Caveat, you must qualify with each every two years. Only 20rds each, but would keep me from putting 10 pistols on my permit.
I have 5 but pretty much only carry the g26. Cheap enough to replace if it gets taken for evidence.

·
Registered
38,990 Posts
You can have a ccw in Cali? I'm actually shocked at that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Most counties issue ccw. It just depends on which one you live in. 39.5m people here, about 112,000 permits state wide, most of those in about 5 counties. Yes it is an elite group.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.