C J Student fights with cops, has drugs; angry due to "wrong procedures"

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by ronduke, Mar 13, 2014.

1. ronduke

ronduke

2. 11A

11A

We have a major college in my city, and I refuse to work anywhere near the campus area because everyone is a criminal justice major when police make contact with them.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

Real CJ majors really do know the law and most likely don't break it and then act stupid......

4. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

I went to a state school with a very police oriented CJ program. I was a major in that program. It was twice as large as the next two programs combined. Big big. These days, it even has a police academy on site so that certain students can graduate with a bachelors and be ready to hire. But I digress -

While an undergrad, I worked part time for the sheriff's office as a deputy. Mostly, the part-timers would supplement the police presence in the town where campus was. Hands down, the biggest pricks were the CJ majors. They thought they knew it all, but knew nothing. In a college town, 9 times out of 10 if they were getting any kind of paper, it was a city ordinance violation (pay a fine and it never sees your record since it's civil). But of all the jackasses that talked themselves into a state charge, I would say that 99% of the time it was a CJ major.

I mean, you'd TRY and help these boneheads out of liquor tickets, cannabis, and even the occasional DUI and they'd talk themselves up the food chain until they were in handcuffs. Nobody was trying to blackball these idiots. They were doing it to themselves.

We certainly weren't giving anyone breaks based on major. But they were 19/20 years old and most of the coppers didn't want to see them jam themselves up over petty crap. But invariably, it was the CJ majors that talked their way into a **** storm.

5. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Screw 'em. If they are that arrogant and privileged in school, picture what they would be like with a badge.

Better to dump them early.

6. knoxvegasdaddy

knoxvegasdaddy UBER VOL !!!

that seems out of character for CJ student. I've always thought he was a reasonable level headed kind of guy:whistling:

7. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

"I'm a CJ student" is the kissing cousin to "I used to be a cop".

I noticed the same thing when I was a university cop. The non CJ kids would take their in house bull**** discipline and carry on; the CJ kids would push the issue until they were off to the county jail. It didn't help them any that apparently one of the CJ profs was instructing his kids to always question authority and demand instant answers about why officers were doing certain things.

8. Dukeboy01

Dukeboy01 Pretty Ladies!

The only thing more worthless (from a genuine, working knowledge of how law enforcement really works in the real world perspective) than a criminal justice major is a jackhole with a PhD in criminal justice.

I went to Eastern Kentucky University, which has one the "best" criminal justice programs in the country. Every single one of the professors there is a complete waste of skin. Every. Single. One. Even the ones who used to be cops are washouts, who did less than a decade on service before getting gimped or quitting.

When society fails, I propose that the first thing we do is, as old Billy Shakespeare advised, hang all the lawyers. The second thing we should do is hang everyone with a PhD in criminal justice studies.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  9. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

I also went to a very highly regarded CJ school. Large percentages of the coppers in agencies went there including mine. During the early years of the program, they were hiring book worms and when I was there they still had a few left over. They were absolute idiots.

Starting in the early 1990s, the program got a new chair and instituted a new, unwritten hiring policy. If you wanted a tenure track position in the department, you had to have served at least 10-15 years in an agency, have made some type of rank or had a fairly diverse career, and then obtained a terminal agree.

I had amazing professors. Several attorneys who had argued cases before the IL Sup Court and SCOTUS, former Lts from big departments, a couple of chiefs, etc. What I loved most about them, though, was their complete intolerance of bull ****. The typical games that undergrads play with their teachers just wasn't permitted.

They were also really fun to drink with.

10. grizzly322

grizzly322

Kind of a quote for the know it alls from an old favorite, "you don't know Jack & Sh**, and Jack just left town!"

11. VPD4327

VPD4327

I always cut them paper-not because of their major, but because they hang their major out there like it's a badge...AND usually cop an attitude.

12. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

I found that the PhD's in criminal justice types were more often the liberal social worker types than the cop types.

The cops/ex cops who moved into teaching criminal justice, and were still "cops" in spirit and either had a masters or a JD.

13. TK-421

TK-421

Generally it's the morons who know it all that are the ones who get themselves into real trouble because they know better than anybody else, and they know right from wrong, and everybody else is wrong. Sounds like they need a good butt whoopin'.

14. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

You must have met different criminal justice majors than I have. Even real law students don't know real law and aren't even close to being in the same league as a cop with 1 or 2 years on the job.

15. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

That is very true and some that I know have stayed as police chiefs even though they have their jd etc. But a lot that go into teaching do it for the extra money and second retirement income.

16. CJStudent

CJStudent No Longer Fenced In

True that. Though when I was going, I did have a decent criminal law professor (full time attorney and reserve deputy sheriff) that just taught the one class part-time, and actually knew his stuff. I did notice that attitude a lot, and I'll admit that I had some of it until I realized that I really didn't know my ass from a hole in the ground about criminal law and police procedure at the time.

17. CJStudent

CJStudent No Longer Fenced In

:rofl:

Thanks, lol.