Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ,
I have searched but nothing really come up.

I usually clean gun every time after range.
At range I usually do like 100 round or less on this particular Glock 17c.

Recently I went to range and put almost 300 rounds through just for this trip and there is a lot of rapid fires for fun.

I can tell that gun has a lot of carbon built up after rapid fired.
After range I clean the gun just like normal and found that there is thick of carbon built up inside the slide. Please see picture.

I tried soak it with solvent , mpro7 , Brakefree brush and scrub.
It did not come out. I worked on it until the coating actually started to come out.

Even the coating already off the slide. The surface at the spot still not even flat just like normal.

I do not know if you can tell from the picture but its rough and bubble up a bit from flat.

Is this normal for C model ?? :crying::crying::crying:

Thanks in advance.

·
I miss ya Murph
1,872 Posts
sorry, never had that much buildup on my 23c.

my steyr GB builds up a ton of carbon on the barrel (that has internal ports to dump gas inside the slide to ease recoil)

it takes a while with a toothbrush and some hoppes 9.

since i have only used nylon and phosphor bronze brushes on my guns, i have never damaged the finish on them.

·
The eBay Guy
21,573 Posts
Are you sure that's not lead build up? What kind of ammo were you running?

Just scrub away... It will eventually come off.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Put some Hopps #9 copper solvent on it for 10min & brush it off!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hoppes no9 didn't help.

Left for more than 1mins soak and brush for more that 20mins. Doesn't do anything to it beside paint(coating) came out more.

It's really rough and feel like welding metal or melt metal. I don't know how to explain clearly. Basically if I drag my finger nail through that spot It will stuck and make krack krack noise.

·
Well I'll Be Dipped!!!
29,786 Posts
I have a G17C, and I've never seen anything like that. What kind of ammo were you using?

Anyways, for carbon build-up, I scrape it away with a tiny screw-driver or knife blade.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Since you already have Hoppes, I'd soak a paper towel in it and pack it into that area of the slide. Then seal it in a zip lock bag and leave it overnight. Work a bronze bush on that area the next day.

Shooter's Choice was mentioned - it a better solvent. If the Hoppes didn't work then I'd repeat the process with some SC.

Good Luck

·
Giggity-Goo!!!
4,046 Posts
Shooter's Choice...nuff said. And make sure you open the windows or do it outside, it's toxic stuff.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Have you tried actually scraping it with a screwdriver or knife rather than brushing?
No I have not I will try that and I will update.

Shooter's Choice...nuff said. And make sure you open the windows or do it outside, it's toxic stuff.
I will try that , thanks

I have a G17C, and I've never seen anything like that. What kind of ammo were you using?

Anyways, for carbon build-up, I scrape it away with a tiny screw-driver or knife blade.
Could be happen because I used factory reload that my friend bought from gunshow ?

Since you already have Hoppes, I'd soak a paper towel in it and pack it into that area of the slide. Then seal it in a zip lock bag and leave it overnight. Work a bronze bush on that area the next day.

Shooter's Choice was mentioned - it a better solvent. If the Hoppes didn't work then I'd repeat the process with some SC.

Good Luck
I will try than now , Thanks

:crying::crying:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Tuned,

I forgot to mention that my last ditch choice is to use some 4-ought (0000) steel wool to scrub the area. I usually mix it into a bronze brush for scrubbing.

You asked about ammo; a FMJ is not full - the jacket is wrapped from the nose down to the base but the base is exposed lead. If the reloads were using a faster/hotter powder to save cost per round, then you may have had some melted lead spattering at that point of the port.

HPs are wrapped from the base to the nose, so no lead is exposed to the powder burn. They generally are cleaner to shoot. You might try some next time and see if the slide is cleaner at the end of shooting.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Without touching the gun I would vote for some kind of lead buildup. If it were carbon it should have come off with all the scrubbing you were doing. It could be lead buildup and it is getting shiny because you are just polishing the lead. If the section is still raised then I don't see how you could have gone through the coating on the slide.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I soak hoppe overnight 3 times.
It came out little by little.

Thanks you guys !!

I'm waiting for Lead Away wipe to come in the mail and I will try that as well.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Boretech eliminator runs rings around older solvents. I've owned and been issued C models for years. No issues with buildup. Only quality factory ammo. No, roughness or "bubbling up" are not normal. Never seen it with any glock.

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
Could be happen because I used factory reload that my friend bought from gunshow ?
What kind of factory reloads? Were the bullets jacketed, plated or hard cast lead?

I would expect lead fouling from hard cast lead bullets but I'm pretty sure plated bullets would also foul with both copper and lead.

I don't know anything about compensated barrels but I'll bet that jacketed bullets are the right way to go.

Did you ever have the problem with new factory ammo? Probably not... In which case, yes, the reloads probably caused the problem. Now it's time to figure out what kind of reloads they were.

Richard

1 - 20 of 23 Posts