Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27,076 Posts
Smooth landing. I couldn't have done any better. ;)

·
NRA Life Member
29,342 Posts
You'd be in deep kimchi if any/all of those trucks didn't rotate 90 degrees.

:alex:

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Very cool. My first glimpse of these was in the Air National Guard when I was stationed in New York. The first time you watch one take off, you really don’t think it can get off the ground. Massive!

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
After I got out of the Regular Air Force I went to a Reserve Unit at Travis AFB where I wrenched on these for a couple years.

Reactions: G19Tony

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
Very cool. My first glimpse of these was in the Air National Guard when I was stationed in New York. The first time you watch one take off, you really don’t think it can get off the ground. Massive!
Newburgh? I moved from there in '13. The screaming engines going over my house.

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Damn - I'd hate to have to buy a set of tires for one of those - what's it got, like twenty-six of them? It's certainly an impressive beast - got to ride along on a refueling flight in one that flew out of Westover in MA back twenty-five-odd years ago when I was active in CAP. Amazing that a single person can control something that huge.

-Pat

Reactions: Caver 60

·
AAAMAD
32,224 Posts
Damn - I'd hate to have to buy a set of tires for one of those - what's it got, like twenty-six of them? It's certainly an impressive beast - got to ride along on a refueling flight in one that flew out of Westover in MA back twenty-five-odd years ago when I was active in CAP. Amazing that a single person can control something that huge.

-Pat

28 if memory serves.

Though I’ve heard they’ve “limped” out of Kuwait with a tire or two removed because of not replacements being available during the mass air lifts during The build up/opening of OIF/OEF

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
28 if memory serves.

Though I’ve heard they’ve “limped” out of Kuwait with a tire or two removed because of not replacements being available during the mass air lifts during The build up/opening of OIF/OEF
Dachh - you're right. And I was staring at the nose gear with its four the whole time. D'oh!!

-Pat

·
Sneet
16,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bet ol Fred would have just ground em flat.
Fred was the only plane that carried it's own jacks. ;)

C-5's were the only airplane that logged flight time when it was on jacks. :devilish:

I ran into a friend of mine out in the system, from Basic FE school. He got C-5's. I looked in his bookbag, he had to carry two C-5 dash 1's. They were both the same thickness as my dash 1 on the C-141. What a complex machine. :cheers:

·
Philippians 4: 6-7
10,016 Posts
Great video. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
21,732 Posts
A lot of turbulence while the gear doors are open!

Reactions: Caver 60

·
Registered
11,227 Posts
I bet ol Fred would have just ground em flat.
Those tires are unbelievably thick. I remember when we blew a brand new tire on a B-52.

We landed and put the drag chute out, slowed to 70 knots where there was a mandatory 70 knot brake check. Touched the brakes. The plane shimmied for a second and there was an audible pop, followed by a thump thump as we slowed.

The anti-skid had failed on that one brake and ground right through the tire in just that brief second or two. We pulled off on the hammerhead, shut the plane down and turned it over to maintenance.

But I remember examining that tire and seeing how much rubber and cord was exposed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts