Bye Chance

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by pjva04, Oct 1, 2007.

1. pjva04

pjva04 Snub Lover

Many of you who have braved the 12 steps know how helpful a canine companion can be on the journey. I adopted Chance almost seven years ago, about two weeks after my last sip. When I didn't know what to do with my "spare time", he was there. When I had panic attacks because I didn't know how to handle anxiety Chance would lay down next to me and "absorb" the anxiety. Throughout those seven years, I haven't really needed or wanted a close friend or confidant other than my wife and Chance.

Today, we made the tough decision. Chance can barely walk (we didn't get him as a puppy), his skin is in terrible condition, and when I took him to get checked out so he could get some pain meds to keep him comfortable I was told by the vet that the huge lump on his chest is not a fat deposit, but "something else". Chance will be going to the vet the last time Thursday evening.

I have made this decision in the past, but it has never hurt this much. When I was fighting my demons, Chance was the one holding me by the leash. He absorbed so much of my pain, anxiety, and fear that I had no choice but to succeed in my walk. I now have my beautiful daughter as a reminder of my duties to myself and my family, but it was Chance that warded off all the negatives so I could concentrate on the positives.

Bye Chance, thank for my life.

2. Platz

Platz

I am so sorry. :sad: Wish I had some words of wisdom for you, but while many go through this, it's an individual experience for everyone. I went through this two springs ago with my very debilitated male shepherd and it was heartbreaking, but once he was "asleep" it was more comforting than I would have thought to really understand when people say they look so peaceful and are no longer in any pain.

He's given you many good years and support that you will never forget. Now it's your turn to return the love and let him go in the most humane way possible.

3. mike1969

mike1969 NRA&GOA

Oh Im so sorry. Have you found out what it might be?? Is it removable??

4. mike1969

mike1969 NRA&GOA

Oh damn I just re-read your post. It is a hard choice to make. I offer my condolences.

5. G20man32904

G20man32904 Guest

pj,
    I feel for you in the worst way. I too will be facing the same decision here in the very near future. I have had my boy for 14years.

All I can offer you is prayers for you and your family :sadangel: :angel:

6. ppk/sfan

ppk/sfan Guest

:hugs: Remember always what he has done for you. Unconditional love is an amazing thing. :hugs:

7. pjva04

pjva04 Snub Lover

Chance went peacefully this morning at our vet's office. I am sure had we not scheduled the appointment, last night still would have been his last. Needless to say Alice, Chance's lifelong best friend (since before we even adopted them), will be very lonely without him. I intend to spoil her like I have never spoiled anyone or anything before.

Thanks to all the kind words left here on this thread. The kindness and empathy actually do help soften the blow, and were very much appreciated.

Phil

8. GotGlock1917

GotGlock1917 Lifetime Member

I'm sorry for your loss. I've thought about Chance several times since your first post. I can't imagine how hard it must be to put a pet family member on a countdown to death.

You are a good man. You made the difficult and correct decision. You have my sincere respect and sympathy.