Buying on Gun Broker.??

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by davedc, Apr 1, 2020.

1. davedc

davedc

Two questions .There is a Glock for sale and the seller has No Reviews.Would you ever buy from a seller with no reviews.And to make it worse.Under the listing there is a Yellow banner that says.Have you seen this exact same item on another website.Duplicate listings for unique items are generaly not allowed.And may be fraudulent.My post kind of answer's MY OWN QUESTION....Anybody have Gun Broker nightmares you want to share.

2. Ovid

Ovid

Play it safe. If there's anything about it that gives you pause, then forget about that listing and wait for another. I've bought several off Gunbroker and never once had anything but excellent experiences. I only buy from sellers with an "A+" rating and with the best price-point.

Trust me. Give it time. You will find a better deal that you'll feel comfortable with.

1L26 and glocker1 like this.

3. glocker1

glocker1

Personally I wouldn't buy from someone who isn't rated yet. I always look at ratings, price, sometimes location plays into it, do they have a legitimate business, etc.....
    After doing GB purchases for about 10 years now, I kind of got it down, I've got my favorites and I've never had a bad experience.

Ovid likes this.
  4. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich

Never been an avid ebayer, but have shopped enough to know, if I let my guard down, I'm getting screwed. I'd assume other auction sites, same rule would apply.

5. davedc

davedc

Ovid.Solid advice ....Thanks

Ovid likes this.
  6. davedc

davedc

Never let your guard down.I like that... Thanks Tuner sandwich

Tuner Sandwich likes this.
  7. Deadduck

Deadduck

I've bought a number of guns on Gunbroker over the years. All have been good experiences. But I usually only buy from sellers with positive ratings and a number of sales. I also demand good pictures of the items and serial numbers. I'll contact a seller to get better pictures if some are unclear. If I have any doubts, I'll just wait for another to come along.
    If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

8. Toocool45

Toocool45

I would trust gunbroker. BUT, i would be leary about people without any sales. That does not mean its not or is a scam. If you really want whats being sold. Use a payment thats secure. Credit card, where you can contact for scam would work or a secure check like westren union? Just thoughts, you have to judge for yourself.

9. davedc

davedc

Hey Toocool45 nice to here from you again.The seller wants a paypal transaction for the Glock?.I think your correct credit card payment.Thanks again

10. familyman357

familyman357 I'd be more cynical, but my apathy prevents it.

I've bought and sold guns on GunBroker a number of times. Most went great, a couple were less than great because the seller tried to go cheap on the shipping.

I would never buy from a seller with no ratings and I would never use PayPal or Zelle to pay for a gun. I don't know about Zelle, but PayPal explicitly does not permit use of its service to pay for firearms. If you have any trouble at all, you will have no recourse through PayPal and your account will very likely be frozen:
    https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp...-on-transactions-that-involve-firearms-faq585

Trust your gut when dealing through GunBroker. To quote Robert De Niro in the movie Ronin, "Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt."

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    DJ Niner likes this.
  11. Toocool45

Toocool45

I got burned on pay pal no more!!Out of california. Some one bought ear buds for 350.00 But i switched it to a DEBIT card to pay for with that purchase. Dumb move on my end. Do NOT use a debit card to buy over the internet. For anything. Learn from my mistakes.
    Hope your well davedc. Is that the gen 1 17 that sold?

12. davedc

davedc

Roger that Familyman357 .And I liked RONIN TO

13. davedc

davedc

Toolcool45 No it is a Glock Gen1 still listed.Sorry about your bad experience.Well at least you learn from your mistakes that's what matters.. Thanks for sharing with me take care...

14. davedc

davedc

Thanks for the solid advice

15. CladderPup

CladderPup

Gunbroker, as a company, is garbage. All they care about is making themselves money, and they will allow very unethical sellers to continue to operate despite dozens of reviews from people who explicitly state that they got scammed, so read the reviews. Sort by rating. A single negative review might be retaliatory feedback (yes, Gunbroker allows this and will NOT remove obvious retaliatory feedback because again, they are a terrible company and only care about enriching themselves). Dozens of negative ratings saying the same thing usually means the seller is a crook, but Gunbroker will continue to allow these sellers to sell, and Gunbroker WILL rate them "A+" so you need to sift through the reviews to see the real story.

I have also seen annoying practices that skirt the edge of retail ethics, like a real gun store describing a gun as "new old stock," but then you get it to your FFL and the thing has thousands of rounds' of caked soot on the inside. There is no such thing as "new old stock." If a seller says his gun is "new old stock," then assume it is heavily fired but just looks good cosmetically. Sellers saying that they are selling "new in box" guns also can't be completely trusted. I've seen a lot of pawn shops selling guns like this that just looked unfired, but were obviously not new. The difference could be having a warranty or not, so the practice is probably illegal, but they get away with it anyway. It's the wild west out there.

Your main form of consumer protection is to rely on the good reputation of known sellers who operate on Gunbroker, and there are plenty of good ones, but you still need to be careful.

16. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

I’ve been using GB since 2000 and have always been reluctant to bid on guns from sellers with zero feedback. Glock 19s are common, buy from someone else.

FullClip likes this.
  17. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

No Reviews=Bad News