close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dismiss Notice

You are browsing the classified section of GlockTalk.com, by doing so you agree to follow the terms of service.

http://www.glocktalk.com/pages/classifieds-tos/

Buying Non-local; How is it done today?

Discussion in 'Smart Shopper' started by Steve Campbell, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Steve Campbell

Steve Campbell Millennium Member

I'm looking for a specific piece (older 4" J-frame, M-34 or M-63, none of that communist MIM crap), and am having no luck locally. There are no gunshows coming up in this area soon that I know of, so I guess that leaves one alternative.

I've been 'out of the loop', gun-wise, for some time now. Recent perusing of some other forums leads me to believe that there is a thriving interstate selling business. I have a friend with an FFL, but can anyone suggest some possible sources; and what is the protocol these days? Are credit cards acceptable? What about waiting periods?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Steve

2. hoagie55

hoagie55

Steve, Check out one of the gun auciton sites. They list everything you need to know about finding a gun on the internet. The internet can be a great resource in locating a hard to find piece. Since you have a friend with an FFL, that is all you need. Please check up on the person you are going to buy from. Get a phone number and talk to them. Make sure you ask why they are selling the gun and if they seem hesitant to tell you or you get a weird feeling then pass on that gun. Also, look into an escrow service. You'll read more about them on one of the gund auction sites. In a nutshell, your money goes into escrow (for a small fee) and won't be released to the seller until you have had a chance to inspect the gun and are satisfied with it. Good luck with the gun search!!!

3. Steve Campbell

Thanks for the info. All good, except that I have neither the time nor inclination to fool with auctions. I spend too much time on a computer as it is; plus, I've watched my wife wrestle with that BS on her collectibles. No thanks.

What about regular "swap forums", such as found here? Any others worth checking out?

4. hoagie55

hoagie55

I am new to the board, but from my understanding most of the people here on Glock Talk are respectable people. What some people do is when they find a gun of interest on this board they will ask the rest of the board about the seller. That way you can check up on them and see if they are scam artists or legitimate people. A few people were scammed a littel while ago, but the ATF is after the individual and should resolve that problem real soon.

You can also do a search for your specific weapon on yahoo or another search engine. That will show you who has your weapon of choice for sale. Go to their site and read up on them. As long as they are a business and have a good return policy then you are set. If you pay by credit card, then you are protected from fraud. Just another little buyer safety tip.

Above all else, do research. Do not buy the first gun you find. Do some comparison shopping to ensure you are buying what you really want. Try Gunsamerica.com. They have guns for sale, not just up for auction. You can email the owners and ask about teh firearm for sale. A lot of pawn brokers use this site as well.

Good luck!

5. Steve Campbell

Thanks a bunch, guy.

Steve

6. REFLEX

REFLEX

While it's true there have been a lot of rip-offs on this site, I have yet to hear of anyone getting there money back nor has anyone been convicted. I also always use paypal or a CC as much as possible to avoid potential problems. The only exception is when dealing with low dollar items.