close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Buying myself a laptop, finally

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Critter, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Critter

Critter Patriot Customs

Over the past couple of years I've bought my three daughters laptops. For the most part I have let them pick out what they wanted, and being easy on thier daddy's wallet, have gotten what I would consider reasonable computers for the money, all of them have more capabilities than the one I'm typing on now, but didn't set me back a great deal, under 1000.00 each.

Well, the time has come for me to go wireless. I teach an online class, usually with about 10 to 15 students at a time, and all of the instruction is web based with a great deal of pictures that I hae to upload to a server. ound has not really been an issue to this point, but may want to add some video as the courses develop over the next couple of years. The 'home' computer here is set up for that though, I think.

My home has cable internet and I am set up for wireless G in the house with an extra Cat-V hardwire connection in my workshop. I do have to do a great deal of photo editing and have an extra moniter in the shop right now.

Unfortunately money is somewhat of an issue. I'm looking for something that is between the 1100 to 1500 range that would suit my needs and stand up to some traveling. Any particular sofware or accessory suggestions would be helpful as I could obtain them down the road.
    Thanks,
    Bill

2. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

Critter what type of online classes you teach?

In my experience with online classes it's always the students who usually have problems connecting.

The biggest culprit is that most of them were using dialup.

when you throw video into the mix then you are pushing the limits.

Your classes need to be desgined with the lowest common denominator.

What tools so you use? What is your delievery platform?

Most laptops can handle just about anything you can throw at it.

I am an IBM Thinkpad person but most people here will chime in and throw in Dell or Toshiba.

3. Critter

Critter Patriot Customs

It's an online hobby smithing course. We use a secure site, well, that's a relative term to some people, that is web based just like these message boards. I host my pictures off-site and they come up like when you post photo's on any message board. A majority of the students hear about us over the web although a we picked up several for our July class from a recent article in handgunner. The one's that pick us up off of the web are pretty much 'there' when it comes to being able to read the forums, and we ask them to print out the lessons on hard copy to study and use. The forum at that point is used as a discussion board to discuss the lessons, add instruction and pictures, and keep up with progress. We kind of like to keep them working as a team and give each other support as the premise of the class is that it is for the first time builder so it's new to all of them.
    I hae added some streaming video in the past, taken with my camera. The size and quality left a lot to be desired, but it was enough to get the point across. I would like to expand on that in the future though, even if I had to snail mail DVD's or a more economical format, but I still need to learn more about that.
    The dial up has not been to big of a problem for us in the past. he head instructor is on dial-up as is the administrator of the class. I'm the only one on cable, but I'm handeling the majority of the web based logistics, so it's quite helpful to have the high speed connection.

Now, what I want to get is a computer that can handle information transfer, photo editing, which I'm not sure if an LCD screen is best suited for that, but once I know I have a good pic I can add text later, although I would like a nice screen, have some publishing cababilities, and access to W i-Fi as I do some traveling from time to time and will be away from here, but still offer 24/7 tech support between the three of us. I get the overnights, yippie!

Hey, just wait until I start all over again with the networking questions. I did last year, but since had a crash on the main comp and lost it all, plus added another laptop. I'll worry everyone to death once I get this one home. ;f

And hey, what about the portable printers? ;J