Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys new to the site. Looking at buying my first Glock in the next month or so. Thinkin about a Gen 3 23, but not 100% sure. Any suggestions or tips on picking the right model for me? Thanks.

·
one cool dude
211 Posts
what is your experience with guns? have you shot multiple calibers to know which one you like best?
regardless I think a Glock 19 or 17 in 9mm is always the best to start out with due to them having the cheapest ammo cost yet still effective for home/ personal defense.

·
Retired police officer and retired holster maker
979 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The 3rd Generation is a fine choice. I've carried a 2nd gen. G23 since 1997 and it has never failed me. Good luck!

Randy

·
one cool dude
211 Posts
:wavey:by the way welcome to glock talk.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what is your experience with guns? have you shot multiple calibers to know which one you like best?
regardless I think a Glock 19 or 17 in 9mm is always the best to start out with due to them having the cheapest ammo cost yet still effective for home/ personal defense.
My brother and dad both have gen 3 Glocks. My bro's is a 23 and my dads is the sub compact .357 sig. Not big on the .357 bc ammo cost is too high. I like my brothers 23, but I have pretty big hands compared to him so I'm worried it might be a little small. Other than that I grew up shooting .38's and 1911 .45's.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I also like the 9mm. I figure with +p+ hollow points you've got self defense covered, plus you can shoot cheaply and with a greater capacity! Plus, that's how Glocks were first engineered!:supergrin:

·
Helicopter Nut
7,762 Posts
Howdy from Texas. I would start out with a 19 to really learn to shoot but then again a 23 would be fine with a 9mm after market barrel. That 23 really is a snappy gun.

·
Banned
466 Posts
The boys are pointing you in the right direction. The G 19 is a superb Combat Pistol chambered in 9 mm.:wavey:

·
one cool dude
211 Posts
My brother and dad both have gen 3 Glocks. My bro's is a 23 and my dads is the sub compact .357 sig. Not big on the .357 bc ammo cost is too high. I like my brothers 23, but I have pretty big hands compared to him so I'm worried it might be a little small. Other than that I grew up shooting .38's and 1911 .45's.
then the G23 might be the way to go. if you like the 45 acp cartridge like the 1911's you shot, you could even go with a Glock 21 or 30 in 45acp.

·
Registered
560 Posts
You gotta shoot'em bro! Thats the only way your gonna be able to come to your own determination. I like the 9mm, it will sereve your purpose but if you feel 40 is the one for you that's great, get it.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
You have received good advice above.

Welcome to GT!

·
Not an Expert!
870 Posts
Looks like great advice so far. My next Glock is coming soon in 10mm, because I need something for the woods/trails/hiking/camping/fishing.

·
Registered
885 Posts
You can't go wrong with Gen3 Glocks! The G23 is a great gun, & I like the round very much, but it took me over 100 rds before I got used to it's snappiness! I put a Limbsaver rubber grip bcuz, my hands started to hurt (not really painful or anything) after shooting for awhile! Now, I can't wait to shoot this Glock, along with my G26!:cool:

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Picking the best gun for you is something only you can do. That is the only advice I can give you. You just have to go hold different models and see what fits best. The G23 is a very nice gun though.

I recently took my best friend of 18 years to buy the first gun he ever bought for himself. I thought for sure I knew what this person would want and had even picked out a Ruger SR9c for him. I was amazed when he chose the Glock 23. He said it just fit his hand so much better than everything else he held that day and that it felt more balanced to him...and we tried everything from SIG to H&K's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm gunna give it some thought and go check out some of my local shops. I'll let y'all know the results as soon as I get one and go to the range.

·
"Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
Can't go wrong with any of the Glocks, just remember, finger out of the trigger guard when you re-holster and use a proper holster that covers the trigger guard if you're going to carry with one in the chamber. G19 is a great choice but if you don't mind something a bit more "snappy" then the G23 would also be good.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts