close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Buying G19 Soon, questions.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Gaprofitt, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Gaprofitt

Gaprofitt

Hi All,

I am buying a G19 soon.. I am mainly buying it for range firing and home self defense. Regarding the night sight options, are these useless for the average joe versus the fixed sights? Do they provide any advantage in daytime usage versus the fixed sights? The last question I had do most GSSF LE distributors stock models or is everything custom ordered? For example how likely am I to get an OD model?

Thanks,

Newbie Glock Greg

2. hickok45

hickok45 Millennium Member

Most of the night sights I've had experience with definitely don't offer any advantage in daylight - far from it! I have some really bright Trijicons on an Ed Brown that light up like a Christmas tree in the dark, but I can't find the front sight with a map during daylight.

3. markieboy

markieboy Senior Member

Agreed. My aftermarket meprolights don't provide any advantage during the day. The factory Glock sights are just as good.

That being said, my meps shine pretty bright at night.

4. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Nope, they can be quite helpful in the dark.....if you use them.

Most folks seem to think so, personally, I like the factory polymer sights for day time.

They try to stock them, but they've been busy lately.

You won't know till you ask.....call before driving.

5. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

I don't consider the night sights a must have but some are nice for different reasons. I find some of the factory installed Glock ones a bit cheap in the way they attach. I don't know how the current ones are and they may have changed but they used to be staked in the front instead of held by a screw. You can always add night sights later and choose the ones you like.

Now the factory non-night sight Glock sights are plastic and that's not a problem. But they have a non-traditional way of lining up the sights. The front sight isn't leveled with the rear sight but rather the dot on the front sight is centered in the rear slot making the front sight about half way higher than the rear sight. The night sights are more conventional in that the dot on the front is lined up with the two dots on the rear and the top of the front sight is level with the rear sight. There's nothing wrong with the original Glock sights but they may take a bit more time to get used to using them. The night sights will lose their glow over time but they will still function as regular sights. Glock does or did have a steel sight option that isn't night sights. I haven't much issue with the plastic sights. Some holster wear on the front and one rear one that came loose but they are the easiest to change without causing damage to the slide. They last a long, long time before needing replacing and are cheap. I don't know what Glock charges for night sights these days but there are many other you can choose and change at any time. I did find one set I really like and they aren't from Glock. I only have them on one Glock and I forget the name but I'll se if I can see what it is.

6. coal

coal

Most important to me, night sights are 1) steel, 2) three dot and 3) front sight screws on (new Glocks do, too). That's what matters to me (in that order) and why I buy them. I'd go Meps because illuminessence is pretty similiar, but the white outline paint wears off and/or fades on Trijicon/AmeriGlo.

7. voyager4520

voyager4520

I see them as different sights with the added bonus of being able to see them at night. Most have the 3-dot sight picture as opposed to the dot-inside-the-big-U sight picture of stock Glock sights. Some like XS 24/7 Big Dot sights provide a "big dot over an obtuse V" with a single bar glow in the dark vial in the rear sight. Those XS sights are geared more toward a quick sight picture in close quarters as opposed to longer distance accuracy.

They regularly come in either color, with a number of sight options. They can have plastic sights, three-dot Glock Night Sights(with Meprolight vials), Meprolights, or Trijicons. Also they can come with adjustable plastic sights that have the dot-in-the-big-U look. Some even come with metal sights that look just like the plastic ones, but I rarely see those.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  8. Armed-N-Ready

Armed-N-Ready Glock Clone

I've seen your videos Hickock and it doesn't even look like you need sights!!! Very impressive shooting!

9. Armed-N-Ready

Armed-N-Ready Glock Clone

Night sights "can be" very helpful in low light conditions but they are neutral during brighter situations. As far as available options, my gun dealer recently informed me that a certain model I was interested in was available in a few variations, so ask your dealer.

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

If you get night sights, be sure to get a front sight that is a different color from the rear ones. If all three are the same color, it could cause some confusion while trying to line them up. Easier to remember just to put the off-colored one between the other two.