Buying Front sights only?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by MCPreacher, Mar 25, 2010.

1. MCPreacher

MCPreacher

I have my favorite Springfield that I used to carry for many years, then converted it for use in USPSA. Now that I no longer compete and I am converting the gun back to carry, I want to change out the front sight.

The sights are a Millet hi-vis rear and a dove-tailed fibre optic front. The FO front was ok for competing, but the loss of the tube on several occasions and the sharp edges of the sight itself means that it just won't do for concealed carry.

Here's the dilemma. I am having a hard time finding anyplace that has a good night sight AND sells ONLY the front sight. I love my rear sight and it has been on there as long as I have owned the gun (through 4 different fronts!). I do not want to swap it out and I don't want to buy a complete set of sights & toss the rear in the parts bin.

In a perfect world, I would find someone to sell me one of the TruGlo tritium Fibre Optic front sights with a dovetail that will fit.

Any suggestions?

2. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Try Dawson Precision for front sight only. You'll need to know what height you want.

3. MCPreacher

MCPreacher

I'll check 'em out, thanks!

4. kdoggy

kdoggy

Novak does too.

5. Magus

Magus Deo Vindice

6. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

How does one decide the height of the sights they want to use? If I'm replacing mine, but I can't get what I want in a matched set, how do I decide on the heights of each piece?

7. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

If you are just replacing the front, then you need as close to the same height as the front you already have (assuming the gun was sighted in to your liking).