close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Buying first hunting rifle, you guys have recommendations?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Ballistic40, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Ballistic40

Ballistic40

Looking for something for primarily deer and hog. between $300-$400, scope around $100-$150. Synthetic stock bolt action.

2. JOE MACK

JOE MACK

Check Savage or Ruger for a synthetic stocked bolt-action. I'd probably get a workhorse caliber like the .30-'06 or .308Winchester. Deer and hog should be no problem with the right ammo in either caliber.;f

3. Stopdropnroll

Stopdropnroll Millennium Member

FWIW, you'd be better off putting $150 toward the rifle and getting $400 worth of scope.

You are limiting the ability of the rifle by getting trying to save money on the scope. please consider spending more on the scope.

Based on what you have written, Rem 700ADL, 30.06, Luepold VX-II.
    Buy used if you had too to make the budget.

SDnR ;)

4. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Concur but the 710 is building in popularity. They are inexepensive but well made.

5. terlingua

terlingua Senor Member

I predict the 710 is an experiment that won't last. It has some problems.

You get what you pay for. Although, I have heard a few good things about the economical Savages. I would go with either a Remington 700 or a Winchester 70. The Brownings have a good reputation, but they will be more $$. Rugers can be good and can be bad. Its a crapshoot on which day your barrel was made and the triggers are horrendous if not impossible to improve without replacing it. I don't care for their bolt actions. I would check out used, but not abused Remingtons or Winchesters. As long as the bore is excellent and the crown is good. Two of my best shooters were picked up used.

Stay with a decent caliber. My advice would be no less than a 260 and no more than a 300 mag. The 30 06, 270, 7mm 08, 308's of the world have killed a boat load of game. All that you need and not punishing. You don't need a magnum or anthing that involved NASA to develop it.

You get what you pay for. Spend all you can on the optics. Leupold or better. Even used would be better than the others brand new. This you can only learn through either years or being wise enough to listen. There is a reason they cost more.

6. davesglock30

davesglock30

what's your location? if you're going to be in the brush or thick woods and not taking long shots(over 100 yards) i'd recommend a good 30-30 lever action like a marlin 336 or a winchester 94. if you want to scope it the marlin is the way to go because of the side eject. my dad, my uncle and i have brought down a lot of PA. whitetail with 30-30's and they have more than enough punch for hogs too. plus you can find a real nice condition marlin for around $200 or less that way you can get a really nice scope!:)

7. MarkCO

MarkCO CLM Millennium Member

I really like Remingtons, but not the 710.

I'd recomend the .30-06 or the .308 for what you are going to hunt. If you think some bigger game might tempt you later, get the .30-06.

The Savages are about the best economical rifle. I just picked one up, just like you are looking for with scope mounts for under $220. Try GunsAmerica or GunBroker or your local gunshop. I'm ditching the .30-06 barrel and putting a .338-06 on it. I got a used Redfield scope on eBay (older Redfields were very good quality). Total price in .30-06 would be $330 out the door.

Other than a Savage, I'd recomend the Remington 700. An ADL new is going to be over your price range, but again, used is not bad if you have someone to help you check them out. Most bolt guns are used little and excpet of cosmetics, are usually not even broken in.

8. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

"Concur but the 710 is building in popularity. They are inexepensive but well made..."

I truly hate to disagree with my ol' buddy, Duncan, but I'll just have to on this issue. The 700 is far superior to the 710, in many respects. The recommendation for a 700 ADL is a good one. Also, the recommendation for getting the best scope that you can afford. If you're just recreationally punching paper, the quality of the scope is not a big issue. If you're in competition or hunting, the quality of the scope is THE issue.

I've posted, under "gunsmithing", detailed instructions for adjusting a Rem. 700 trigger. It'll come from the factory @ 6-8#...should be 2.5-3# for hunting.

9. terlingua

terlingua Senor Member

Nobody flame me for this, but .............

Good to see you back Walter.

10. m65swede

m65swede

Ballistic40:

I'll give the same advice as always when asked this question. You have basically 2 choices; Remington 700 ADL Synthetic or the Savage (various models). Many WalMarts in my area sell the Rem 700 ADL at prices of $340-350 in selected calibers such as 7mm-08, .270 Win, or .30-06 Springfield.

That would be my first choice; Rem 700 ADL in either .270 or .30-06. A quality firearm chambered in a caliber that will serve all your needs and widely available ammo.

FWIW, I share WalterGA's disdain for the Rem 710, the Yugo of the Remington line.

Swede

11. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

For the price limit set on a decent bolt-action sporter, you will want the Savage.

Another option is to peruse the used gun rack at your local gunshop.

12. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

I would prefer remington,but i do covet the savage model 110 in--i think its 308,with short bull barrel,whole gun is black,including the barrel.I will buy one of these eventually.They are good rifles.

13. hoagie55

hoagie55

If you can, go out with some buddies and give their rifles a try. Each rifle has a different feel to it, each shoulders differently, and shoots differently. Try as many as possible and then make your decision based on that.

Also, take a knowledgeable friend with you to a gun show or two and see what is available out there in the used market. By buying used, you do not have to worry about breaking in the barrel. If you do not have someone that can help you, go out to a gun show yourself and see what is out there. You can always ask someone there for their opinion/help. You should be able to tell who is knowledgeable and who is not by talking to them for a few minutes.

If this is not a viable option, then you cannot go wrong with the new Savage line. They are extremely dependable, very accurate, and wear very well. Then you can afford to spend aroud $200.00+ on a good scope. I would suggest an older Redfield scope or a Burris or Leupold scope. Check out Ebay, they have a wide selection out there right now.

14. Ballistic40

Ballistic40

Think I will check out the Savages at the super walmarts around here. I think I agree with the concept of spending more money on the scope, or at least not getting a cheap scope.

15. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

if that's your total budget the advice on a used gun is sound. you will shoot better with a used gun and a good scope than with a new gun and crappy scope.

16. Ballistic40

Ballistic40

How can I tell if a used gun is good or not?

17. hoagie55

hoagie55

There are several books availalbe at your local Barnes and Noble or Borders book store that can give you some basics on used gun buying. There are also several magazines, but you will have to wade thru them to find the correct ones. Check out somoe of the gun value books, blue books for guns. They usually have good articles on used gun buying.

Good luck!!

18. WFR

WFR

Another vote for the Remington 700ADL or whatever used model 700 you can scrounge up. Good guns.
    Leupold VXI can be had for less than $200 all day long.
    Good luck!

19. davesglock30

davesglock30

sorry that i'm a retard!!;g ;Q i JUST now noticed that he said synthetic stock bolt action!! i was really starting to wonder why nobody else had recommended a 30-30 lever gun, DUH now i know why!! i guess thats what happens when you jump the gun! if anybody needs me i'll be in the corner with the dunce cap on!;g

20. AKA Glockboy

AKA Glockboy Molon Labe

DavesGlock30,

Stimpy !! You IDIOT !!
    ;f ;f

AKA