close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Buying First Glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by bw4064, Feb 9, 2012.

1. bw4064

bw4064

Well, after months of trying to decide on the next gun to buy I went with a Glock. Most of my pistol experience has been with 1911s but I thought it might be time to go with something a little more modern. Also, there have been a lot of break ins on my side of town (including my neighbors) and I thought it would be wise to stay prepared. I'm a concealed carry permit holder but I almost never used it because I felt fairly safe in my town.

I located a second gen G-19 at a local gun shop for roughly $500 with taxes and background check fee included. The gun is like new with a nice tight spring and flawless finish. It comes with the original box and 2 or 3 magazines (can't remember exactly). According the gun shop employee, the former owner was a collector but didn't shoot often.

Is this a good deal for second gen G-19 in such good condition?

2. JimIsland

JimIsland

Welcome to GT. The G19 is a fine choice for your first Glock. Very managable with high capacity. Price seem a little high for a Gen 2 but it depends on your area. Used Glocks go for 450ish all day long in my area. Don't worry about the price....you bought it and it's yours!! Go have fun with it

3. Bruce M

Bruce M

Locally that would be a good but perhaps not great price. Enjoy your G19.

4. Piston10

Piston10 Member

Do you think the sales guy would tell you it was used and abused? Seems high to me, I have bought 3 in the last month paid 499, 519 and 525. All new. 23 gen4, 26 and 27 both gen3.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  5. larson1122

larson1122

Around here brand new Gen 3's are $500. The used Gen 2's I've seen usually run $400-$425.

6. KarlThomas

KarlThomas

A little word of wisdom from somebody that has been there and heard that kind of BS... a gun shop employee will almost always give you a little info on any used gun you're looking at and the info always includes something like "the last guy that owned this never shot it. I'd say it's had a couple hundred rounds down the pipe at the most."

That is not a good price. You could almost buy a brand new one for that.

7. bw4064

bw4064

This is by no means my first gun, I'm aware that sellers lie. I've been around guns long enough to differentiate if something was abused or not. In my area, compared to prices at other stores, this wasn't a bad deal. Sorry if my post seemed misleading that this was my first firearm purchase. Just my first Glock.

I also forgot to add that this particular gun has night sights. I've heard this adds value to the gun. Can anyone tell me if this is true or false?

8. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Only you can decide if something is of value. Certainly night sights add cost but value is something else.

I don't like night sights on range guns. As target sights, they aren't very good - too busy. To me, buying a gun with night sights would decrease its value.

That said, I did buy Trijicon night sights for my Sig P220 because that really is my SHTF gun.

Richard

9. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Its true if they are somewhat new...I mean if you had to buy a set of night sights yourself for the gun youre looking at $80-$120 depending. So, for me, night sights do add value!

10. hyperactive

hyperactive OH - IO

I think you made a good deal. Enjoy your Glock and keep shooting!!

11. bw4064

bw4064

12. bac1023

bac1023

13. abq87120

abq87120

14. Glock40man

Glock40man

I'd buy it.

Welcome to GT!