buying first bolt gun, need some advice!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by minkis18, Feb 3, 2013.

1. minkis18

minkis18

title gives it away. I'm looking to buy a bolt action rifle in 308 for target shooting but I can't convince myself which to buy. I was looking hard at the remington 700 SPS models but the cheap stocks were not free floated, even on the 20" tactical model. Another gun that caught my attention though was the Savage 10 FCP-K. It's a little more expensive but has Savage's accu-stock ( which evey one I found was free floated).

What I'm really looking for is a gun that I can shoot regularly at the range. I don't hunt and I'm not concerned about total weight. Correct my if I'm wrong but for multi shot strings, I think a heavy barrel would be better for my use. I would like to try some shooting out to 800 yards.

Another question is if I do decide to go for a 700 or similar gun, is it worth floating the barrel or should I just shoot it first then go from there? Finally, I would like to keep the gun under $1000.

rem 700 sps tactical
    savage 10 fcp-k
    That's what I've looked at so far. Feel free to expand my horizons

p.s. what about the 700 VTR? good or gimmicky?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  2. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

The glass will be expensive as hell.
    I think the Remington 700 is a helluva good platform. Look at the 5R and the 700P too, better fit and finish.
    These guns will almost always shoot well under 1 inch at 100 yards with ammo that they like.
    I love the .308, but for more trigger time for the money, especially if you're not going to hunt, why not a .223?

3. minkis18

minkis18

I' sticking with 308 to simplify my ammo stock. I shoot a m1a as much as I can and I'll be reloading soon as well.

4. Guntrainer

Guntrainer

The Remmy will kick your head off, and will not shoot as well as it could. Walmart rifles and ammo will shoot an inch at a hundred.

The Savage with Accu Trigger will work well.

Loading precision ammo is the way to go, being OCD will help in this case. LOL

Get good glass. A superb rifle with a crappy scope is a crappy rifle.

800 yards? Shooting a 308 at that distance is a different universe until you learn to read the wind. For example, a 5mph crosswind will push a 308 bullet EIGHT FEET at 1000 yards.

You will need 20 degree mounts, and the Accu Trigger will help.