Buying Cheap Land?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Cheseldine, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Cheseldine

Cheseldine Texan

If I have around $10,000 of free cash, would I be able to buy say an acre of nice land just to shoot on or hold as an investment? How would I go about doing so? Here in Colorado there is tons of land up in the mountains that is heavily wooded and scattered in with the National Forest Land.

What do you guys think it would run per acre? Where can I find this info? Google wasn't much help.

Thanks,

Nathan

2. norm357

norm357

You need more than an acre to shoot on. I live on 2 acres and it's too small for shooting.

3. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Depends on what you consider 'too small'.

I have a friend with 2 acres who bulldozed a 100 ft. trench sloping to a depth of 8 ft. He used the dirt to pile up berms in back and on the sides.

Granted, it's not rifle range territory, but there's plenty of room for pistol work and rifle plinking. And the local sheriff signed off on it, as long as he doesn't shoot after dark.

Not sure it would pass an EPA test, but then, who cares.

4. Cheseldine

Cheseldine Texan

I'd like to do like was said above, rent some equipment and set up a 150 yd range, and also have a nice spot to camp on and the like.

5. ozark-tracker

ozark-tracker

a square acre is about 70 yards per side, check with some real estate places see if they have some acreage reasonable

6. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Find your local MLS. Multiple Listing Service. This is what realtors use to look at properties for sale. Any realtor can give you the public site info. It should have a page for land sales.

I don't know your area but you can go to wfrmls.com to see what we have in Salt Lake. You should have a local site similar to that. You just can't see the confidential info a realtor does.

7. teumessian_fox

teumessian_fox

A single acre such as you describe is going to be nearly impossible to locate.

Rural real estate is sold in much larger blocks.

A single acre is something like a developer might sell (in anticipation of an upcoming project). But then you can't shoot on it since it'll be in a housing development.

You might look for plots in resort areas. But you're going to pay more than 10K.

But your first step would be to email the "Farms and Land" department of a real estate company. Let them see what they can find.