close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Buying ammo in IL with out a FOID...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Kona, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Kona

Kona

I have a question about purchasing handgun ammunition in Illinois. The law says that you MUST have a FOID card in order to purchase ammunition and weapons in the state of Illinois. My family lives in Idaho so I have a Idaho Drivers License and I live in Illinois for college but I cant get a FOID card w/o a Illinois License. Can I drive over to Missouri and purchase my ammunition there with my Idaho license?

2. devildog2067

devildog2067

I think you can purchase ammo in IL with an out-of-state ID. I think the FOID requirement applies only to Illinois residents.

3. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

I am not a lawyer, but that's my understanding too - although you may still have a hard time purchasing because the seller is so used to getting a FOID card number.

kestrou

4. rball

rball

I was born and raised in Illinois and when I was able to get a FOID card, I got one. I had the card until I became a Wisconsin resident. Upon getting my Wisconsin drivers license, I shredded the Illinois FOID card. Since then (approx. since 2002) I have purchased several long guns and ammo in Illinois since I've been Wisconsin resident. When asked if I had a FOID card, I replied, "Nope, I am not an Illinois resident." The salesperson/cashier simply asked if they could see my drivers license and when they saw it wasn't an Illinois license, they still sold the ammo to me. As for the long guns (shotguns/rifles), you can buy them in Illinois and not be a resident of Illinois. If you want to buy a handgun, you will have to travel back to Idaho to buy it.

5. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

i know nothing about the state but sounds like a crappy *** place to live. glad im in the south lol.

6. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

For knowing nothing about the state, you sure made quite an accurate comment.

7. raven11

raven11

you know its crappy when we elect a governor , and we take bets how long it would take him to be convicted of a crime and arrested

8. firedawg60

firedawg60

OK, maybe I'm slow, but what is a FOID card? Sorry.

9. raven11

raven11

Firearms Owners Identification Card , allows you to buy firearms and ammo , issued by the State Police dept. it doesn't track ammo or firearms but it does force you to send information to the state police + processing fee

application and card usually takes a month

10. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Lets just say that when I travel down South I make sure I fill up my fuel tank,have lunch BEFORE I hit the border. The only stops I make in that state is to use rest room. :)

11. schild

schild

That was a really helpful reply, I'm sorry about your brain injury.
    Many of my local gun shops will only sell ammo to persons from a state that borders Illinois.

12. Grayhawk

Grayhawk

I live in Indiana, and sell a lot of ammunition to residents of Illinois. It is amazing as a non-resident of Illinois I can drive over buy a long gun and take it with me. A resident of Illinois must wait a day before they can take it.
    Grayhawk

13. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

Yes, you SHOULD be able to buy ammo in Illinois.

Doesn't mean that you WILL be able to.

Know all the threads about "ignorant gun shop commandos" and "dumb walmart employees?"

These are the folks that you'll be interacting with. Just because it's legal doesn't mean that the person behind the counter knows the law.

-J-

14. CraigV

CraigV

I live in Missouri, and I've never had to show any form of i.d. to purchase ammo, so you would be fine if you had to drive here to purchase.

15. sourdough44

sourdough44

Yes you could do the MO thing, but shouldn't have to. I have bought ammo & reloading supplies more than a few times during travel in IL. This included Bas Pro shop, they should know the rufles if anyone does. All you have to do is show your out of state DL. I had one small shop wince once, but still sold the primers. How is an out of state hunter supposed to buy ammo?? You may have a problem at the Wal-Marts & such, where they have narrow guidelines to follow.

16. hagar

hagar Millennium Member

I drive up to WI from SC pretty often, and I do my best to avoid chitcago. Adds another 50 miles to the journey, but I prefer to go through Normal.