close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Buying a pistol just for gssf matches

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by whiskerz, Jun 28, 2003.

1. whiskerz

whiskerz

I am considering a 19 or 17 just for gssf matches. I have and use a 21 but feel I am giving up a little on recoil and speed to a 9mm. opinions ? and opinions on which to get ? plus I own a lot 8k+;f of 9mm ammo and no 9mm handguns. Thanks for opinions. W

2. Corelogik

Corelogik Mac Minion

With an ammo supply like that it sounds like a 9mm is definately in order,...

I don't compete personally but I've heard others say that the 24 is good for competition and the extra barrel length probably woudl'nt hurt all that much

3. Glock Dave

Glock Dave

The 24 is only allowed in the competition or unlimited category. For amateur civilian or law enforcement (which ever you may be in)the 17 is a good choice.

4. don't tread on me

don't tread on me

5. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

The 17 will work but I for one like to shoot the subcompact category. I need a G26 for that. As a result my GSSF pistol is a G26 with the 3.5 lb Connector and Meprolight Night sights. I have won money or a pistol (once!) in the last five matches using the G26 as my only GSSF gun.

I also must add that when I competed with the G17 and G24 in other catagories that allowed them in the beginning I outshot my big gun scores with my G26 on almost every occasion. The only time my G26 was not top gun was a brain freeze on my part and I completely missed a target. Twice. Speed was not my best feature. I slowed down and started making money. :)

My (long winded) opinion...GLOCK 26 :)

6. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

;2 Glock 17 ;I ;I ;I ;I ;I

7. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Wiskerz,

You have three basic choices: G17, G19 and G26. I suggest you try them out first if you can. Most popular Amateur/Civilian and Stockmeister pistol is the G17. I prefer the G19, but am in the minority. Whichever feels best to you is best for you.

The Conyers, GA GSSF match is the last weekend in September.

8. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

The 17 has been very, very good to me. ;f

9. newplayer

newplayer

Just buy a 17L and shoot competition. This way, after you win your three you will have THE gun for unlimited.

Wanna buy one?;f ;f ;f

10. MFinch

MFinch Guest

17 like Fireglock and Don at PC posted. A lot of flexibility in the GSSF events with this one.

11. whiskerz

whiskerz

Yes Danny. I did not make last 2 years due to schedule but did make Anderson this year and finished just out of B money with no practice. I am an amateur civilian shooter now, and for a long time.... sure new player make it cheap ;f I am game.... keep the opinions coming..I like the other ideas.

12. Don At PC

The biggest problem in your suggestion is that the 17L is only legal in Competition and U/L classes. If he is just starting he is not likely to win U/L right away especially with open sights against Red Dots and both Competition/Unlimited only have one Glock per match as a prize. If he gets the 17 he has several more options of classes to shoot including AmCiv which has 3 to 6 new Glocks for prizes every match. The 17L is a great choice when he is ready to swim on the deep end of the pool but not to start with unless he is already a Master Class Shooter.

13. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

I won my first GSSF match at Jackson shooting a 17 with stock sights and Winchester Q ammo shooting against red dots etc.;e

14. newplayer

newplayer

Hey TJC, wasnt that glock named the Harlet?;)

15. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

Yea, and that was a long time ago. But she's still with me and doing just fine.

16. Don At PC

TJC;

Don't tell your age now. Yep a G17 in the hands of the righ person can do wonders. However not everyone has those abilities and too many think all the fancy gadgets will do it for them. Without the inherent ability, and well trained skills through a lot of real practice all the gadgets in the world wont help.

17. whiskerz

whiskerz

This strange idea came to me. could I buy a 17L and install a standard 17 topend on it and shoot 2 classes ? or will that not work for some reason ?;f

18. Don At PC

The receiver is interchangeable between the 17/17L. You can eithe buy a complete 17 and a 17L top end or a 17L and a 17 top end. The only problem you would run into is if you put a Red Dot on that mounted to the frame of the gun it wouldn't be easy to keep switching. If you were going to use open sites on both or an Optima style red dot (;T ) which mounts into the dove tail where the rear site was on the 17L you wouldn't have that problem. Some folks can shoot well enough to be competitive in U/L class with open sites. If you fall into this category you would be all set. TJC is that good, I have seen him several times but not everyone is that good. You would have to be the judge of that.

19. councilman24

councilman24

I had a 19 and used that. I bought a GSSF commemorative 17 because it was so cheap. Bought it to shoot, not collect. But I still prefer and use the 19. I have put a red dot on the 17 and tried that in practice. But not ready to mess around with unlimited. Bought a 26 a month ago to shoot subcompact. In practice, and maybe in the meet this weekend, I'm shooting the 26 better than the 19.;Q Of course I'm pretty disgusted with all my shooting this weekend.

20. jay.shebuski

jay.shebuski

...I recommend you shoot the 21.

GSSF is 80% accuracy, 20% speed. The 21 you own is renowned for its out of the box, stuff a 230 gr ball round, up a knats 4th point of contact, at 25 yds, accuracy.

..if you don't reload, buy some mild commercially manufactured match grade .45 ammo, and you'll see what I mean.

You can be "very" competitive w/what you have already.

Jay