Buying a new truck next year.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by syntaxerrorsix, Feb 18, 2020.

1. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

AEF287B4-3BCF-4AFD-8A55-8145FB3FD51D.jpeg A nice aftermarket conversion for a bigger family

ZekerMan, -JCN-, pgg00 and 5 others like this.
  2. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Coked up valves due to the fuel delivery. That service is expensive and I would need to do it quite often with the miles I drive. My last DI engine cost me $600 every 8-9 months.

3. teeceetx

teeceetx

All GDI engines suffer the same fate, albeit to varying degrees. It's in the nature of the design. Direct injection means that high pressure fuel is directed into the combustion chamber, rather than the more traditional route past the intake valve (which benefits from the detergents in the fuel keeping the intake cleaner). The dirty buildup can be quite severe in some cases, and requires a rather pricey tear down and clean (~$1,200).

larry_minn likes this.
  4. Rotn1

Rotn1

With the miles you are running why not look a diesel.

cougar_ml, poles19 and pgg00 like this.
  5. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

Ford supposedly addressed that with the 2018's. Don't know if there is enough data to determine if they fixed it or not. At least they are acknowledging it.

syntaxerrorsix likes this.
  6. syntaxerrorsix

I'm not opposed, however most diesel trucks are far more truck than what I need and the prices reflect this.

K. Foster and cbetts1 like this.
  7. MD357

MD357

The new Ecoboosts have Port and DI injection, there is no issue with the coked valves that I have seen. They never really had a significant issue with it, not like the BMWs anyways. Long story short I'm on my third Eco vehicle with no issues, 2 trucks and an Expedition.

Many moons ago I had a Avalance with a 5.3 that went 200K with no issues whatsoever. Lots of 6.2s around here with a good amount of miles too. We also have a QX80, same VK56VD as the Titan, with a 100K on the clock, it's DI though, no issues.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    syntaxerrorsix and cbetts1 like this.
  8. Lazy R

Lazy R

My F150 3.5 Ecoboost has averaged 20.2 mpg across its life so far. You can get a Tacoma that's smaller and gutless and get the same or less mileage.

Love this truck.

[​IMG]

9. norton

norton

I love my Colorado. 4 cylinder auto, 2 wheel drive. Has enough pep for anything I want it do do-only trailer I have is a small utility type to haul the riding mower-Its smooth on the highway, gets in the upper 20's to low 30's on the interstate. I have owned 8 cylinder 4 wheel drive trucks in the past, just don't see the need for them (for my use, ymmv) anymore. The extended cab allows inside room to haul stuff you don't want to be out in the elements, and my grandkids fit in the back-or will when they are old enough not to need car seats.
    My last company vehicle was a Tacoma 4x4 4 door. Practically no hauling room in the bed, it got loose and rattly within 30k miles. Ok for what it was, but I prefer to buy American.
    002.jpg

10. bandsaw

bandsaw

I've gotta say, " I Love my Taco." It's a 2018 so not much could go wrong but, I've had them in the past as well and they are reliable as hell. You can't go wrong in my opinion. Tried & True like a Colt 45, a Workhorse.

K. Foster and syntaxerrorsix like this.
  11. Bradley T

Bradley T

12. Rusty Guns

Rusty Guns

I'm running a 2003 GMC small V8, can't remember which one.
    No problems at all with it. Couple of small things, and just reg Maint and oil changes, usually 18-20 mpg ok for an ext cab, and short bed. Now that I'm retired she sits a lot. She made the trip from FL, to SC pulling a flat bed trailer with my Motorcycle, Generator, and other stuff as we moved. She has been a good truck, real close to 185000. I guess I'll keep driving her as long as she lasts. I turned 71 last month, and I guess we both won't be going as far as we used to. I had thought about getting me a new truck when I retired, till I started looking at new ones. Colorado's Taco's even Ridgelines. More than I wanted to spend on a new truck.
    I figured I would look at used. Then I decided my Truck is doing just fine. At my age it may last longer than me anyway. It's got a Fiberglass Shell on the back just lay me out in the back and Bury Both of us. That ought to go over good. Lol

Berto, pgg00 and syntaxerrorsix like this.
  13. Rotn1

Rotn1

I understand.
    I just thought that given the miles you are averaging, it might pay off for you in terms of lower maintenance costs and longer life.

I have a 6.6 Duramax but i keep hearing about these smaller diesels they are now putting into some 1500’s.
    Good luck

pgg00 and syntaxerrorsix like this.
  14. Slackinoff

Slackinoff Bathed in lavender and gasoline

If you are buying a 2018+ DI vehicle from any manufacturer, I wouldn't worry about it. From what I have read, every manufacturer has got it down to a non issue. I wouldn't own a non DI vehicle now that I have one. Per liter of engine size, they make much more power and fuel economy than port injected vehicles.

OGW and syntaxerrorsix like this.
  15. syntaxerrorsix

In order to get all that power out of such a small package you will in turn sacrifice longevity. As stated in post number one, longevity is what I'm after first.

16. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

I recently picked up a 2014 Tacoma 4x4. (Pun intended?)

Owner feedback via Consumer Reports has the 2010-2015 Tacoma models as 5/5 for overall reliability. Owner feedback ratings dropped substantially with the redesign in 2016.

I decided to buy American and got the Tacoma. Mine's made in San Antonio, Texas, USA.

2020 02 - 2014 Tacoma.jpg
    snow truck (2).jpg
    I haven't had it long enough to have personal experience with its reliability, but it obviously held together well over the first 6 years of its life as it is in great shape.

17. Slackinoff

Slackinoff Bathed in lavender and gasoline

You realize that just because an engine is DI doesn't mean the engine is small or turbocharged right?

The naturally aspirated 3.6l v6 in my Colorado is DI and GM probably has at least a few million copies of that engine family in service across their vehicle lineup. That specific v6 engine family has been DI since 2008. The 5.0l v8 ford has in their mustang and f150 has been DI for several years now.

Eddy Current, syntaxerrorsix and OGW like this.
  18. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Nice!

I see you incorporated some appropriate aerodynamiques to keep the rear end under control.

rock_castle and catman71 like this.
  19. Resqu2

Resqu2

Nothing wrong with a Tacoma but seriously drive one for a while before you buy it, some people including me just can’t get used to the transmission. I sold mine pretty quick for an SUV. The Tacoma is not great on gas either, I got better MPG with a crew cab full size Silverado.

Slackinoff and syntaxerrorsix like this.
  20. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Used is the way to go. Find one used easy. Honestly most pickups are barely used as trucks. Check online from owners.

Maccabeus likes this.