close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dismiss Notice

You are browsing the classified section of GlockTalk.com, by doing so you agree to follow the terms of service.

http://www.glocktalk.com/pages/classifieds-tos/

Buying a gun legally and right

Discussion in 'Smart Shopper' started by domindart, Jan 20, 2007.

1. domindart

domindart glocker

I bought a HK pistol from a dealer shop and i just assume it was done all corectly and legal. Now I may end up trading or buying something else from a private owner. What is the legal and correct way to complete a gun sale from private? Do the shops register your gun when u buy it? Is the serial number traceable to you, in some system? I thought so. But if you go thru a private owner, how is this info completed so the gun is yours by serial number etc? I dont have any idea how this is done. I dont want to be traced for some murder I didnt commit! :animlol: I want the gun to be in my name legally etc etc.

I now already how to SHIP a gun (FFL). I just want to be sure the gun will be legally mine thru serial number..when buying private.

2. OldMan1

OldMan1

Check your srate laws...they differ.
    In IL, you must still ashere to the 3 day waiting period for a handgun. Technically, the buyer is not responsible to do anything (although I kept the receipt (Bill of Sale) The seller is required to keep a record of the transition and all details for 10 years.
    It's usually not too complicated, but why not call the State Police, get their input and ask what section of the Criminal Statutes Code (or whatever they call it, then go to the library reference section, check it out, print a copy of the relevant pages and then date them. After the sell, make sure that you check name, address and get a signed receipt from the buyer. Put it in your lockbox or with your taxes and keep it for however long it takes. You wnat to make sure that you have proof that you no longer own the gun in case aomeone later in a crime.
    Best wishes, Old Man1

3. domindart

domindart glocker

great advice.. ill call my police dept and make sure. thnx