Glock Talk banner

Buying a enterprise rental car opinions pro's/con's

2083 Views 22 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  fg17
I am divorced and got cleaned out do to the divorce, so i am on short money. I am also 65 and retired so my earning years are over. I need pro's and con's about buying a rental vehicle.
I am looking at 2018 Toyota RAV4's in the $17,000 price range with between 38,000 to 48,000 miles on them. Being a RAV4 I assume they weren't beaten up by the renters, hopefully a family vehicle. The factory warranty is still valid until 60,000 miles. I am also looking private party. Should I be afraid of buying a rental vehicle? I would buy at/thru Enterprise it's self, not a car lot.
Reactions: ChuteTheMall
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
13,367 Posts
"It's a renatl!"

I shudder to think what's gone on in the back seat. Heck, even the front passenger seat, if it reclines enough...

· Registered
6,421 Posts
Factory warranty remains. Go for it.
I forgot to add disinfect everything. Twice.

They should be able to easily provide service records. Try asking for them.

· Registered
1,585 Posts
I rent cars all the time. Based on knowing how I drive and treat them(which I assume is typical), I would not buy a rental.

Reactions: bdcochran

· Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer
123,766 Posts
I am divorced and got cleaned out do to the divorce, so i am on short money. I am also 65 and retired so my earning years are over. I need pro's and con's about buying a rental vehicle.
I am looking at 2018 Toyota RAV4's in the $17,000 price range with between 38,000 to 48,000 miles on them. Being a RAV4 I assume they weren't beaten up by the renters, hopefully a family vehicle. The factory warranty is still valid until 60,000 miles. I am also looking private party. Should I be afraid of buying a rental vehicle? I would buy at/thru Enterprise it's self, not a car lot.
I think a 2 year old RAV4 for $17K under warranty is as good as it gets.
But be warned, there are a lot of members on Glock Talk who smoke in rental cars.

· Registered
7,190 Posts
A lot of times the car that you are purchasing from Enterprise is actually out on a rental half ways across the country when you buy it. Enterprise will call the renter and try to get it back quickly but will be loading it up onto a car hauler as quick as possible to get it on its’ way to you. So probably no courtesy cleanup, or minimal at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Exlawdawg
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Op here, desperate times call for desperate actions. The divorce judge allowed me to keep a 2005 Chevy Cobalt with 190,000 miles on it. It runs good, but for how much longer? Right now I am just researching my options.

· Registered
1,095 Posts
I work part time for a dealer. We transport cars and get many rental cars and I would not hesitate on buying one. Rental agencies keep up the maintenance and cleanliness of their cars. Like any thing you buy take it to a trusted mechanic and have him go over it. I have never driven a nasty rental or one that has not been maintained. Just my opinion!! If you get one the 100k warranty is still good !!

· Registered
8,844 Posts
I have bought 2x rental vehicles. One was a 1997 Ford Explorer, which was just a crappy vehicle because '97 Explorers sucked. The rental aspect had nothing to do with it.

I also bought a 2009 Chevy Suburban that was a rental with 30K miles on it. It has been a fine vehicle and is still running strong 11 years later with 220,000 miles.

So I'm okay with buying rentals. People who say that they are abused are just making it up and have no idea what they are talking about. I would wager that most of the mileage is "highway miles", which is exactly what you want on a used vehicle. Sure, buying from granny next door is better, but good luck finding a granny car.

· Come on man!!
20,172 Posts
Op here, desperate times call for desperate actions. The divorce judge allowed me to keep a 2005 Chevy Cobalt with 190,000 miles on it. It runs good, but for how much longer? Right now I am just researching my options.
Drive it until the wheels fall off.

Reactions: bdcochran

· Registered
15,934 Posts
Instructor rented a car. Class was car ambush response. In the military, the practice is to shoot out windows, motor pool replaces them overnight. Any way, the rental is turned in. Someone had cut himself on some sharp metal. So there was blood in the car. 9mm casings. Told the clean up guys not to look in the trunk!

You never know where a rental car has been.

· Registered
544 Posts
I purchased a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe with 19K miles from Enterprise in April of 2020. I'm happy with the car and think I got the a great car for the money I was willing to spend. It runs like a top and I've had no problems in almost 10K miles. There were some minor scratches which don't concern me. However, the buying experience from the Enterprise dealer was an afternoon and early evening from hell. Hopefully, the problems were confined to that Enterprise location. It took over 3 hours to trade in my previous car and pay cash for the new one. This was during the Covid peak, and they would not let us inside the building even to go to the bathroom. Actually, I suspect something nefarious was going on inside. The purchase was conducted at a kiosk out front on a hot day.

I could go on but my suggestions are: (1) Don't car shop late in the afternoon when you're tired and hungry. (2) If you're trading in, take an extra key to your trade that is not on your key chain. That way, if the deal turns to crap, and they "lost" your key, you can drive away. (3) If ANYTHING doesn't pass the smell test, drive away. I would not hesitate buying another car (hopefully, this will be my last car purchase) from a rental company. But I won't go near that location ever again, even to get the free tank of gas they offered.

· Registered
4,793 Posts
We bought a company rental 2015 Avalon. Though not the same as a rental, because it usually assigned to one individual. We’ve had it for year and can’t be happier with it. Paid only $12000.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.