close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dismiss Notice

You are browsing the classified section of GlockTalk.com, by doing so you agree to follow the terms of service.

http://www.glocktalk.com/pages/classifieds-tos/

Buyer beware.

Discussion in 'Smart Shopper' started by glock2619, Feb 5, 2007.

1. glock2619

glock2619 Work in Progres

First, let me give a little background on myself. I’m relatively new to the GT community but not new to firearms. I hope that my lack of posts doesn’t take away from any credibility this post may have. I’ve been in contact with true believer on this issue and he’s given me permission to go ahead and post this.

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=618050

I tried to purchase this gun back in December. He accepted an offer I made to purchase the gun and 1 magazine for $500 shipped. I have the receipt for the MO I sent Sean dated 12-3-06. It was sent the following Monday (12-4) and probably arrived on Wednesday or Thursday that week. My dealer faxed a copy of his ffl to the fax # that was provided, and the waiting began. The excuses were (in no particular order), his usual ffl was out of town and he needed to wait until he got back to ship it, he would ship it through someone else, the gun came back to that shipper because he had a wrong address or something-so I gave him the information for my ffl, he was sick, his family was sick…. Finally, after much frustration on my part and seemingly on his as well, he offered to ship the gun with everything or a refund $25 aggravation fee. I told him that given the choice, I’d take the refund, but if it put him in a tight spot financially, I’d still take the gun. I left the decision to him. I also said I didn’t need the fee, the money back was sufficient. I didn’t hear anything from him for a few days and asked if he had made a decision, and he said he sent a check my way for $525. During this time, Christmas, New Year’s, and Ford’s passing slowed down the mail like it always does, but nothing arrived. I finally called him and he expressed displeasure that they hadn’t arrived yet. (To his credit, he’s always been pretty responsive to emails and phone calls, until 2 weeks ago.) So, he said he would get two replacements in the mail with an IWB holster made by him. Well, nothing came again and he finally emailed me asking for my address again to “verify that the replacements had been sent to the right address. He said the first ones had gone to a holster customer of his in Indiana (the same state where I live) and asked for more patience from me. I thought I had been pretty patient this whole time, but I digress. The last email and phone conversation that I had from him was 3 Saturday’s ago and he assured me that a $300 money order was on its way to me and the second with the holster were dropped at the post office that morning. “No mistakes this time” were words used to describe him doing this. To my surprise, the first one did show on Tuesday. The second hasn’t shown and I’ve been unable to contact him by email or phone since.

I’m writing this letter for a couple of reasons. 1. I’m not under the impression that Sean was intentionally trying to steal from me. I guess that’s his business, not mine. If I had to guess, things get tight around Christmas like they do for many of us and he didn’t have the cash. I think if that was the case and he would have told me that, I would have been annoyed, but understanding. The same is still true today, IF HE WOULD JUST TALK TO ME. So the first reason is a plea for Sean to talk to me. 2. If he is intentionally stealing from me, I don’t want others to fall into the same situation I am. He’s listed under the same sean85746 on several forums-gunforums.com, thehighroad.com, thefiringline.com, and some others. He listed today ((EDIT: This is incorrect, it is an old posting-I screwed up the dates for some reason-totally my mistake)) a sig230 on gunforums.com, so if someone there wouldn’t mind posting this there, that would be appreciated. 3. If I do get repaid someday, it would be neat. If I don’t, what an opportunity for me! I’m a fairly new Christian, but one of the verses always running through my head is 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18. It says, “Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” I’ve been scratching my head, trying to think of what’s so joyful about this situation. And it hit me-what an opportunity for me to learn some forgiveness. I forgive you Sean, if you are stealing from me. I’ve been forgiven for so much, so much that this seems insignificant. I’ve also been learning a lesson on stewardship. I probably make some foolish financial decisions sometimes, and I don’t think I’m being a good steward of what I’ve been given by purchasing items with no real knowledge whether they are legitimate or not-especially with our first kid on the way (woo hoo!). I’ve learned buying something on the internet is a gamble unless it’s from a very trusted source-which this looked like. So, this severely limits my desire to purchase anything else from many more folks unless I have done business with them before or can do it FTF. So, I’m thankful I’ve learned a little lesson on being more careful with what I’ve been given.

You’re probably tired of reading this, so I’ll finish. I wish Sean no ill will and am still somewhat hopeful this can be resolved. If not, I hope people are careful dealing with Phoenix Custom Gunleather’s Sean Francisco. If anyone else wouldn’t mind posting this other places, that would be great. If you’re not comfortable doing that, that’s fine too.

If anyone has any questions about this or the legitimacy of any of the claims listed here or has any advice or comments-feel free to post, email, or PM me.

Thanks.

2. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

I have been a born again for over 30 years, the man looks like crook, smells like a crook and walks like a crook, therefore the man is a crook!

Regardless if you have forgiven him or not he is responsible for "his" actions/inactions and needs to be held accountable.

File charges of mail fraud with the postal service (if you mailed him a check), report him to your bank and file a report with your local Police department too.

Your bank may be able to recover the money if you supply printed documents of your plight to them, as I have had to do this myself last year.

I.M.O.

3. h2o-5o

h2o-5o Owned by Pugs

In my experience, buying and selling via internet on forums and ebay, it seems that approximately 10% of my deals go bad due to a scammer or con-man. I'm not saying this is YOUR case, but I have learned some lessons.

Delivery confirmation costs $.60, but is priceless when dealing with some folks.
    You're wasting your time filing a mail fraud complaint over one relatively (in the .gov's opinion) low-dollar item.
    You'll have much better success using the threat of a civil suit to recover your money. Since you mailed the payment from your location, your location has jurisdiction. Of course he probably won't show up, but he'll have a local warrant on his record that'll follow him, to some extent.
    Tell it like it is, using facts and not opinions or guesses. Tell your story to any who'll listen. Put some pressure on him. It may sound jaded, but if he's a con-man, he'll see that if your voice is loud enough, his potential victims will be educated, so it is more economical to refund your money than to cut off his future income.

Sorry for getting on my soapbox. I hope something I said helps.

4. glock2619

glock2619 Work in Progres

I've received full refund for payment. Thanks for the replies folks here and in "Firearms Listings" thread as well. That one is locked and I would think it inappropriate to re-post a link to that thread. So, lesson learned on my part and an opportunity for me to grow a little.

Thanks.