Buy lots of mags...

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Airhasz, Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheseldine

Cheseldine Texan

Also, it even says on Obama's website that one of his goals is to re-institute the assault weapons ban with no sunset clause.

Follow this link to his official page:

http://change.gov/agenda/urbanpolicy_agenda/

Scroll down to the Crime and Law Enforcement section and read the last sentence under the subsection Address Gun Violence in Cities.

2. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

Kinda hard to pass an AWB when the House won't touch one with a 10 foot grounded pole.

3. Cheseldine

Cheseldine Texan

I know, but it is still good to be aware of.

4. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

A lot of the reasons have been discussed in detail here, but I think one factor has been neglected a bit. If you actually train with your AR15, you will wear out and/or damage your mags eventually. They are consumable. We are constantly needing to rotate out damaged and worn magazines at our training center, and that even includes the more durable PMags.

5. TxXDm

TxXDm

You never have too many mags, just when you think you might have just enough, someone borrows a few and forgets to return all of them or argues he only had just one.
    Not to change the subject off mags to much.
    but this weekend I found a good deal and the first really good looking Glock pistol.
    I bought a 25th anniversary Model 17 that looks great with USA and 25th written all over it, even the grip is inlaid with 25 years in the USA.medallion.
    The slide also has that etched in it
    It's one of only 2500 total produced.
    I think it was a great find.
    I bought three extra 17 round mags to go with the two that were included.
    I know, I was kinda bummed that it only came with two instead of the usual three mags.
    It has a cetificate signed by Gaston Glock that there were only 2500 made.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  6. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Yeah, where can I buy $10 PMags?

And what happens when 20 loaded mags ain't enough? You're going to wish you had had 21. :upeyes:

7. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Like I said the search function is your friend.

Some of us have 50+ mags. But as with everything it depends on how much money you have and how much you think it's worth to you to own them.

:wavey:

8. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

Or how often someone gives you a pile of mags for cheap.

Sent from the USS Sulaco, while nuking the site from orbit.

9. MadMonkey

MadMonkey Spershul Furces

I consider magazines disposable. They're cheap enough that if they crack/break/stop working, I don't have to worry about repairing them.

I have probably about 20-30 Pmags and a dozen-ish GI mags, and I still feel like I'm way short. There's no WAY I'd have less than 20 on hand at any one time.

DSG Arms has a special on GI mags with Magpul followers right now... $85 for a case of 10. I just ordered a box.

10. mixflip

mixflip

Probably because magazines and ammo are not protected by the Constitution so restricting them is an extremely easy knee jerk reaction by our politicians who feel they must do something in response to a media hyped crime.

11. CAcop

CAcop

I buy a lot of mags because I foolishly didn't buy enough when CA did their AWB. For a few years there it took an act of Congress practically to get duty mags let alone off duty mags. The guy who was chief then who signed off all the letters authorizing them got pissy if you were going for more than 3 mags. Once the Fed AWB died off it got easier.

I also remember that originally the mag capacity for the Fed AWB was originally floated as 7 rounds max. That is why I am even buying enough 8 and 10 round mags to at least get me through to the end of my career.

Having said that I do not have more than about a dozen mags per gun. I look at it like I have 10 years left on my career where I will be really hard on my mags. Maybe 10 years after that I will shoot more often but under conditions less abusive to my mags. And then once I hit 70 I suspect I will be getting senile (early senility in my family) so I will probably have to give up my guns at that point along with my DL. Even if I can't repair mags I should be able to have 6 mags running by the time I retire and a few by the time I give them up.

If I were 15-20 years younger I would probably be buying closer to 20 mags per gun max.

12. K. Foster

K. Foster

A better question is Why would you not want to acquire all the mags you can reasonably afford?
    Mags wear out or get lost during training. If there is another ban, I would rather be in a position to sell mags for insanely high prices than having to buy them.

13. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

I was 17, in CA when the AWB went into effect.

Mags do wear out.

I have AT MINIMUM a full duty load for every single magazine fed weapon I own. That's 3 for pistols. At the moment, more like six or seven per pistol.

Rifles? A double unit of fire, minimum, 14 mags. I've probably got more than that, I haven't counted in a while. Keeping 3-4 loaded is just smart, and 'more than that' is never a bad thing.

14. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

This sums up my usual thoughts pretty well. I know I'm somewhere north of 20 AR mags, but I haven't counted in a while.

15. CLoft239

CLoft239 I Like Turtles

#1 is already here. Liberals = zombies ; mindless beings that leech off of everybody else.

Numbers 2-5 are legit.

"We would never learn how to be brave and patient if there were only joy in the world" - Hellen Keller

16. Glocksanity

Glocksanity

Exactly. Like a cup of coffee for a nickel.

17. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

in the blink of an eye, the price on mags can change from $10 to $100... If you plan on keeping the rifle for a while, I would get "plenty" of magazines.

Some people forget how bad it was 20years ago when all you wanted was a 10round mag that actually worked right and price for 20 and 30 round magazines were $75-$100.00ea

18. Airhasz

Airhasz

I don't see insanely high prices for mags if AWB happened again due to the fact companies have probably stocked more than needed cause they also want to cash in...

19. NCHeel

NCHeel

I guess you are talking about the $9.99 sale cdnninvestments had at the end of 2011. They are back up to $13.99. Their $9.99 sale was limit 3 also. You can find them for $11.88 plus shipping if you search the old internet. I get them for $14.99 at the LGS.

20. ashecht

ashecht

4 mags per gun x 5 guns + extra ammo = 1 heavy gun bag

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.