Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall I got G-17 and love it. Now I want to get a .40. Plan on getting a new G-22. I to make sure that I get one with all of latest upgrades,

-) 11 coil mag springs upgrade due to problems from lights mounted on the rail.

-) improved lock block

not sure what other improvements glock has made to the .40's

Other than making sure the gun is a 3 pin w/finger grooves, does anyone know what prefix/serial # I need to look for?

I understand that the current glock .40's are the exactly the same as the glock .357 sigs and only a .357 sig barrel is needed. Not sure about mag followers. Are the front and rear sights the same height?

The 357sig is what I really want to use as my farm truck (flatter shooting for longer distances and hopefully more accurate) and possibly self-defense gun (bottle-neck feed reliability and I've been a .357 S&W fan) and some ccw. But in truth 90% or more of actual shooting would with the .40.

Would I be better having my dealer order the 31? then get the .40 barrel or I could simply go buy the g-22 then get the .357 sig barrel ( maybe a fitted one for max. accuracy)? Yes, I know the G-35 makes a lot of sense and maybe I should get a 35 first, I evently plan on having both the 22 and 35.

This will be a long term (for life) purchase with function reliability my main concern followed closely by durability.

Thanks Fred

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
If you want a 357sig I'd get the G31. That way you wont have to buy a barrel unless you buy the G22 or G35 barrel for it. They are really fun to shoot.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Get a Glock 31 and buy the .40 conversion barrel for it would work also.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'd go with the G22 and get a .357 sig barrel for it. .40 is the way to go for shooting a lot unless you reload. .357 sig is basically a niche round (a super hot 9mm) and unless there is a real possibility that you may have to shoot through car doors on a regular basis (ie secret service) I'd go with the .40. They have them at every Walmart. .40 is better for SD anyway, it's what most police use, and less overpenetration means less time you'll have to do in jail if you have to defend your life...

·
Registered
11,211 Posts
What caliber are you going to be shooting right out of the box? If it's the .357sig then get that caliber and buy a .40S&W barrel later.

If you're going to be shooting .40S&W out of the box then buy that caliber and get the .357sig barrel later. You never know, you might like either caliber so much you decide to stick with that caliber.

Either way, it's only a barrel swap you need to switch calibers. Some people like having the same mags marked with the caliber they're shooting so as not to mistakenly load the wrong ammo into the wrong barrel. I have a G-23 magazine for my G-32, but since I don't have a G-23 barrel I'm not in danger of making this mistake.

·
PROUD AMERICAN!
703 Posts
I`ve got the .357sig for my 23 (.40) and it`s a great deal to able to have the 2-in-1 gun. I don`t have the .357 mags yet, but my .40 mags have worked fine so far.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I got a G35 then got an aftermarket 357 sig barrel. I user the 357 sig exclusively now and with the extra length barrel from the G35 I get higher velocities from standard 357 sig rounds. 1500 fps plus from standard wwb.
I shot today and at 30 ft I was getting 1.5'' groups. I think that has more to do with the Nikko-Sterling red dot sight than my natural ability to line up traditional sights. The longer sight radius of the G35 does help with traditional sights for accuracy though.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I do have to add that my original G35 barrel leaves a bulge near the 6 o'clock position on the brass. With ammo prices going up I use the 357 sig and reload since that barrel has more chamber support and doesn't deform the brass. If you don't reload I guess it wouldn't matter what caliber you went with, both are fine rounds for that size frame Glock.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was asking the same question a couple of months ago. After speaking with a Glock armorer at an event I decided to get yet another G22. Pick up the G22, and get a glock barrel, (I forget which # is the std. size in .357 Sig) in .357 Sig. You can use the same mags. You will only need another barrel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts