Buy Gen 4 Frame Only?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ck1, Feb 1, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ck1

ck1 Some Dude

Finally handled a Gen 4 G17 today in my local fun shop... Didn't expect much really, but, the smallest size grip without any of the backstraps installed really felt awesome (surprisingly much much better than "normal" Gen 3's which fit me just fine).

Had my hand on my wallet, was about to buy it right there...

Thing is... The new Gen 4 recoil assembly... Looks and feels like crap, and seems flimsy and like it's going to break at some point sooner rather than later. Really a let down, I liked everything else about it, but the recoil assembly was fine the way it was and allowed us match shooters to easily dial in the recoil spring strength to our liking, this new contraption is overly complicated and unnecessary IMHO.

So, that said, anybody know if we'll be able to just buy the new Gen 4 frames?

2. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

I doubt it.....and almost certainly not anytime soon. But if they sell well, the aftermarket parts makers will surely make what you need to work in the Gen4's.

I'd say to buy one and shoot it.....you may not need to change it! :)

I have my order in for a Gen4 G17.

3. GRR

GRR

Has anyone determined if a gen3 slide will work on a gen4 frame?

4. crazyrec12

crazyrec12 cornbread

I actually called glock about this last week and they say that they do not recommend it. It would work but it may cause a problem being that it wasn't actually designed for that generation.

5. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

I will not work period. The Glock rep you spoke with obviously wasn't thinking straight.

Frame and barrel is cut differently for the new recoil spring.

BUT, with all of the people saying they call Glock daily with stupid questions, they must start to make crap up, just because people buy it.... hahahaha

6. Larry V

Larry V

I cant speak to the 17 but i just bought a new Gen 4 22. The new recoil assembly makes a huge difference compared to my 22rtf. shoot and you may find you like it.

7. RGF1

RGF1

The new Lone Wolf frame may be an option. Here is a link with a couple pics from SHOT 2010.