Buy accessories or more guns?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by CTfam, Feb 14, 2010.

1. CTfam

CTfam DREAM BIG.

I'm having a small dilemma here. I've been wanting to pimp out my Saiga .223 for some time now.

Ultimak gas tube + forend, Aimpoint H-1, Krebs safety, New stock (NATO)

But everytime I have the money I just buy another gun. I am now eyeballing a VZ.58. With the current political and economic climate I think guns and ammo will become harder to come buy, but accessories should be around forever.

Would you recommend building up one good SHTF rifle or putting your dollars into as many guns that will fit in the safe? I guess I don't NEED optics and crap. It would be nice though... :dunno:

Thoughts please?

2. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi NO BRASS FOR U!

With the exception of quality sights gun accessories are a waste of money.

3. GlockPride

GlockPride M&P

No, if guns go away so will the businesses that support them.
    But, I do the same thing you normally do and buy another gun. I've started realizing at some point that more isn't better. You do need a certain amount such as cc, deep cc, car gun, bird gun, hunting rifle, etc. But at some point early last year I decided that I wanted to outit all existing guns with mags, optics, sights, etc before moving on.
    But then I went and bought two used 870's for a hundred each, an M&P 15x for 650, and a PSL-54c. :)

4. Billet

Billet

A pimpy SHTF rifle is nice to have, indeed.

5. CTfam

CTfam DREAM BIG.

I do agree with this. I don't have any extra crap on any of my guns. Well my J-frame has CTgrips...:cool:

But I have more guns than anyone would really need. Every niche is filled and then some. I also have a good ammo stash. (Can never have enough IMO)

That Aimpoint looks sweet as hell but WOW I could do a lot with that money. I worry about gun prices and gun bans so I'm currently trying to buy every "evil" rifle I see.

6. Billet

Billet

After my cheap red dot failed miserably on the first outing, I ponied up and got an Aimpoint ML2. They ARE expensive, but are one of the finest pieces of equipment I own.

7. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

At some point you will want to do something very practical with your gun. At that point you will look for all the accessories to do that practical item with your gun.

e.g.
    1. You want to shoot competition with your sidearm. You need a holster and mags and ammo.
    2. You want to hunt. You need hunting cloths, orange vest, hunting license, ammo....
    3. You want to CCW. You need ammo, holster, license....

Just don't wait to do something practical until the SHTF, because that is not the time to need a holster or mags or ammo or...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  8. mixflip

mixflip

I think its almost impossible to buy an AR for example and not buy it some accessories. They are so modular by design and the marketing blitz of parts is so tempting that you just feel a need to do it. I dont know anybody who owns an AR with just iron sights and no fore grip nowadays.

Most soldiers will tell you that the average battle rifle is effective with iron sights out to an average of 200 yards or meters give or take a some distance depending on the rifle. That all you really need if SHTF.

Some accessories you need though, like a good sling and extra mags and maybe a better stock if your LOP is not quite right? Or night sights for your carry handgun ect ect?

I do the same thing though. Do I really need a $400 to $500 Aimpoint or EoTech or Trijicon.... Or another gun? Guess what...I dont own any optics right now but I just bought another used pump shotgun the other day for $300 and 3 weeks before that I had just bought a new 930SPX for $695.

If you want your favorite guns to look and feel and perform a certain way and you dont care so much about owning a huge collection of guns you'll barely shoot...then I say yes, buy those accessories you want/need.

I sold the guns that I never touched and I dont feel any regret because the guns I do shoot the snot out of are fitted just right now with the parts I decided I wanted (to make me happy).

9. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi NO BRASS FOR U!

You do now. I have a bone stock A3. The only thing I have bought for it is bullets, powder, and primers. The only "accessory" I would consider is a riflescope and mount.

10. mikeyU

mikeyU

I like having night sights, maybe a tac light so I can see what Im shooting at, and maybe a eotech, irons work fine durable and no need for batteries. I would say If you have a few decent guns buy a couple cases of ammo, if you have cash after that buy more guns.

11. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

I'd say another gun! I'm with the others on this one...unless you are actively hunting or REALLY want to buy an accessory, don't. Iron sights are good, which is about the only thing I would buy anyway (optics). We qual at 500 yards with the M16 with iron sights, so don't think you can't hit anything out that far! That said, the Trijicon ACOG's are a great tool to use, but I'd still rather have another gun for just shooting around and having fun.

-Cody

12. M1A Shooter

M1A Shooter

i say some accessories. yes irons are fine out to 200-300 meters, however im much faster with an aimpoint out to the same distance. therefore i go with an optic. the vfg is just a preference but i think white lights are mandatory on all defensive firearms. i would prefer to keep them more basic when you are talking about rail systems and purchasing stuff for the name. this is my experience with 10 years in the military and multiple combat deployments. but that mostly applies to the rifles.

my shotguns are very basic. my pistols all have multiple magazines and holsters plus a light if they can be mounted.

i say cover all of your bases then buy what it takes to make them best for their role.

13. sigcalcatrant

sigcalcatrant

The gun you want to pimp already shoots as is. Accessories might enhance the experience, but not enough to justify NOT buying another gun. Buy another gun! :thumbsup:

14. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

When I decide if I'm going to buy a gun, I factor in the accessories I need for it. And I don't buy until I can go it all:

1. Gun
    2. Sights (if good one's don't come with it)
    3. Holster (at least a CompTac paddle, if not a carry rig)
    4. 4 mags

Other stuff I do if I have need. A new red dot if my old one or one I bought with the gun doesn't work. Or if I want to go for training, and I need new gear, then I go for that.

Which brings me to the last point. In general, I recommend taking the price of one or two guns a year (1kish) and buying a training course. You will like your guns a lot more if you do, and you'll likely use it a lot more than you will use a "safe queen". Lots of good ones out there.

15. CTfam

CTfam DREAM BIG.

Good point. I did just sell four guns this past year that were collecting dust. Kicking myself for a couple of those decisions but what can you do? :crying:

I'm not interested in being a collector but I am still figuring out what I like. I've decided I like the AK platform but I can't have one in 7.62x39mm. :upeyes:

That's what has me looking at the VZ.58. I think I'm going to grab that then go from there. Until the next love affair. :supergrin:

MacG22 makes a great point about getting training. I'd like to get into a class and then start some sort of competition shooting around my way. It seems like everyone I see in these classes are running some optics. Will I be able to hang with my crappy irons on the AK?

16. RHVEtte

RHVEtte

Well, you know one now. I've got a 16" carbine with A2 upper and basic collapsable stock. No VFG, lights, rails, nothing. Though I suppose I would like to upgrade the stock to a Magpul UBR.:whistling:

17. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Keep buying the firearms that are on your list.
    Accessories...well, those will always be out there.
    In most cases all You MAY need are the better sights/optics and the bi-pod.
    The rest can wait.
    Eventually You will figure out that You are good with what You have on hand.
    BTW congratulations on CZ VZ 58.

18. glockfanbob

glockfanbob

So a quality flashlight and even a laser as well? I'd rather have a home defense weapon that gives me any advantage I can rather then having a couple of other guns in the safe. That's just me. Doesn't mean I need every accessory but I don't think every accessory besides quality sights are a waste of money.

19. fyrecrotch

fyrecrotch

Definitely accessories if you are talking about Cold Steel katanas....

"Guns are for show... knives for a pro."