close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Buy a used Mac???

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by TED, Sep 15, 2006.

1. TED

TED Millennium Member

My buddy Jarda is looking for a computer. I was telling him how sweet macs were. He countered that they are darned expensive. I agreed. We then talked more about pros and ocns and system vulnerability, maintenence and stability. Teh idea than came up about him getting a used mac.

The theory is that a used mac, wiped clean and reinstalled, should be comprabel in price to a new PC, and still be less maintence, more stable, more secure, etc. although the mac would likely have slower overall performance. However, the raw poewr or speed is not as much of an issue for him as the simplicity.

So, I said, yeah, he should give a used mac a try.

What do you guy's think?

Also, when buying used computers, where do you recommend or what should you look for or is this such a horrible idea that it has never been considered before.

TED

2. TED

TED Millennium Member

He just asked me a questiont that at first I thought was sutpid or a no-brainer, hardware/software compatability issues, but tehn I had to admit that I do not udnerstand the stuff myself, anyway the question is why can't you have a regular PC, wipe the drive, install the MAC OS and use that? I assume this is quite impossible?

TED

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Normally the Mac OS won't work on a PC.There is now a hack to do it though.

http://www.osx86project.org

http://www.osx86.theplaceforitall.com/howto/

This a hack and doesn't work with all PC hardware.The other big problem besides being a hack is unless the latest,fastest PC is used it runs very slowly.Even the new Macs that use Intel PC processors have abandoned the single core processors and now only use dual core processors.

Now new PC's are so cheap it's hard to justify spending money on used hardware.These days it's usually cheaper to replace an old PC than to upgrade it.

4. FThorn

FThorn TV/Movie Club

I just saw and emailed the owner, a used Mac Mini on craigslist for sale for $250.

I am also speaking with another seller for an iMac G5 2.0 ghz, 20 " for $400 or so.

Both are great computers. I own 8 Macs.

Look on eBay for a mini or.

the Apple store has refurbs cheaper.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa

go to lower right-hand corner for the red-tag specials.

Then, click on Apple Certified Mac 'tab'.

Right this instant they have a Mac Mini for $429.

Refurbished Mac mini 1.25GHz
    1.25GHz PowerPC G4
    512MB DDR333 SDRAM
    ATI Radeon 9200 with 32MB DDR video memory
    40GB Ultra ATA hard drive
    Combo drive (DVD/CD-RW)
    DVI or VGA video output
    Built-in 56K Internal Modem

But, you have to look there from about 5 am - 9 am for the best deals. The earlier the better. I've seen minis for $379.

Also, look at dealmac.com. That is the number one source of mac-related deals, IMO.

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Build your own PC. If built/configured properly, it should work as well as a Mac. Virus/Spyware prevention, well, thats what Ewido, AVG and a quality hardware firewall is for. You should be using a hardware firewall, even on a Mac, in my opinion.

IGF

6. nhjsg

nhjsg Live Free CLM

I've used Macs and PC's professionally since the early 80's (from an IBM pc-at and a mac II, all the way through a current generation intel mac and a windows based pc with a p4), and can honestly say that just like your handgun, they are both tools that you choose based upon your needs.

If you decide a mac is for you, and don't want (or need) the latest and greatest, I would suggest the guys at powermax. (google, or pm me for a link) They buy macs in trade from current owners, thoroughly check them, and resell them. I bought two macs from them used, and they even gave me about half what I paid for the first as a trade in to the next one almost three years later. Buying a generation back with a mac is not a bad deal. You get solid hardware, an integrated OS, and a decent pool of software to choose from.

On the other hand - if you need to have software that matches your office at work, or want to play 'hot off the press' video games, then a pc would be the right choice. There are great online sources for complete machines, or as been suggested above, you can build your own with only a moderate degree of technical expertise needed.

Either way, you can't realy go wrong with recent generation machines. Chose what fits your needs, use good quality antivirus and firewall software, and you'll be good to go.

It really comes down to philosophy, and we know from the caliber discussions on forums here that philosphy always opens an interesting can of worms.

Good luck with your choice in either event!

- John

7. TED

TED Millennium Member

Thanks for the replies all, I'll e-mail him a link to this thread. I did find the Powermax place.

TED

8. FThorn

FThorn TV/Movie Club

Keep in mind the current Intel-based Macs ALSO RUN WINDOWS.

They are true Windows PCs, too. Not emulation or anything else. If you wanted to, you could run just windows and never ever even use them as a Mac OS machine.

But, you can if you wanted to. So, if you buy a Mac (Intel) even the $429 I listed before, you can run BOTH operating systems. That's the best of both worlds.

9. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Apple quit making the single core Intel Mac Mini.OS X really needs a fast Intel processor.They went to all dual core Intels now.During the beta testing of OSX on Intel''s all got 3.4 or 3.6 mGig Pentium 4's.They complained about it being slower than the G5's that were cuurrent at the time.At least the new Intel processors are better than the Pentium 4.Extra memory really does help OSX too.At least you don't have to load it down with anti virus and anti trojan software.