Buy a new truck now? Wait?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Cade, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

I always laugh at poor people who buy new vehicles. On another note I wouldn't buy a POS Fiat if they were the only option left. :dunno:

larry_minn likes this.
  2. WT

WT Millennium Member

A friend just picked up a 2019 Dodge short bed pickup. Paid something close to $20k for it.

The dealer was anxious to get it off the lot.

IamtheNRA likes this.

3. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

It’s what people want, are comfortable with. We have a clue, because we have seen it a thousand times.
    I bought a 2003 Buick Century for my in-laws in 2010 iirc 42k miles. $5000. It’s got 89k miles. I was going to sell it before this mess for $3500 (if I put new tires, do alignment $4500. Very solid car, only body repair taillight kicked out by drunk)
    Car I just sold. 99 Taurus I bought 2006? $10k 8888 miles. Sold it 108k miles $700. (Informing buyer suspension shot, belts, hoses weathered... she also paid a shop for inspection who found less then I told her)
    $10k there are many solid units available to get you to work.

Buying a unit you can barely make payments on if everything goes right is stupid. My question has always been.
    “You say you believe you can easily pay $400 a month for x months? Show me your bank account with $200 a month added to it since you started this job”.....
    Keep using what you have, put $400 a month into bank for 6 months (at least) then you will KNOW if you could afford it if everything goes great..
    Car repos are going to be huge IMO. Banks might delay. But only because they KNOW they will get many anyway.
    My nephew wanted a car. His pickup was a lemon from hour 2. Nobody could convince him (even mechanic who said it was unsafe). He’s still paying on it. But he needs a car. I suggested the Buick. Instead he buys a BMW used.
    I fear the issues he will have with it. But young people don’t listen, and they don’t learn from mistakes.
    “Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me”

4. OXMYX

OXMYX

Two Toyota's fourteen years old here.

One got a new water pump, another got a new alternator. That's it.

Still have the original light bulbs. Chevy bulbs last maybe 3 years or so.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  5. pugman

pugman

I was going to make a joke the ram and chevy won't make it 7 years...but try this.

Take the 0%...figure the payment as if you took the cash offer...make that payment.

You know every month every penny goes to principal and it won't take 7 years.

Friends who finance cars I tell them after you pay it off KEEP MAKING THE PAYMENT into an account, or split it half car/half mortgage or make half the old payment.

You have lived 3-5 years making the payment...you are "used" to it. By the time you need an vehicle you might have enough to pay cash.

OXMYX and larry_minn like this.
  6. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    I’m not even sure what you’re trying to say beyond we have a clue because we’re old and don’t realize the market isn’t what we grew up with.

None of the vehicles you’ve suggested are trucks. And I’m not sure who’s suggesting buying a vehicle you can barely make payments on?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  7. Capone

Capone

Well considering i talked to the salesman and he said yes it is included. So you can call the dealer and discuss it with them. The 20 year financing was oh hell i am not even wasting time explaining it.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020