close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Butchered Whitetail, Found ?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by rokke17, Nov 12, 2003.

1. rokke17

rokke17 Third Member

Went hunting last weekend with a buddy, we were butchering his deer Sunday night and I noticed what looked like a small leech in the meat near the backbone.
    Im wondering if anyone can provide some insight as to what I saw and if I should have any concerns about it.

Thanks

2. RevGator

RevGator

hmm, sounds very odd. I don't know anything about it personally but I will ask all of my deer hunting "experts". I've never ran into that while cleaning any deer. I have been taught though that if it don't look right don't eat it.

3. coboconk

coboconk

I would call the conversation officer and have it checked out. There is no sense taking a chance. If the officer tells you not to eat it tell him he can have it and to give you another tag. My friend did that with a deer that had a large growth on its face and they gave him another tag. He got the chance to go back into the woods and get another deer, and being in the woods is what it's all about.

4. vafish

vafish

Sure it was a leech?

I've seen blood clots that looked kinda like that. There also are some types of Flukes (liver flukes come to mind) that look a bit like that.

I agree with calling the conservation department or possibly a VET.

5. skfullgun

skfullgun

Are you sure it wasn't a lymph node? If it was encased by a membrane that is probably what it was. Did it appear to be alive (i.e. moving of it's own accord)? If so, it may have actually been a parasite of some type. This is why I normally check the internal organs (if they survive the shot) to check for parasites.

6. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

most likely a liver fluke

7. DWavs

DWavs Moderator Moderator

I agree

8. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Ok for us neophyes what is a liver fluke?

9. DWavs

DWavs Moderator Moderator

The trematode frequently found in the liver of deer is known as the large American liver fluke. Its scientific name is Fascioloides magna (from Latin: fasciola = band, magna = large), and is in the class Trematoda (flukes), phylum Platyhelminthes (flatworms). The worms are flat, elongate, oval, and look like `bloodsuckers' or `leeches'. They are purple-gray in color, and when found while cutting open or slicing deer liver, resemble a blood clot. They are frequently surrounded by a fibrous capsule, bathed in a dark, muddy-appearing fluid. The flukes vary in size from 15-30mm wide by 30-100mm long by 2-5mm thick.

10. OMEGA5

OMEGA5

You found what we in East TN call a wolf. It's a parasite found in a lot of animals in warm weather. Most people just cut it out and in a deer, that's what I'd do. (in squirrels or rabbits, I would just use the legs) Nasty looking things but I never heard of it making anyone sick. I don't know what it's real name is but that would be my bet.