close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Business Traveler Advice

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Penman, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Penman

Penman Goauche User

This is not gun related, but I hope you can provide some advice. I know a manager who is planning to send a business representative to Manila. We don't get much news about the area, can anyone give me some advice on the risk to an American business traveler at this time? We're hearing a lot about the anti-government protests.

Thanks in advance.

2. PMMA97

PMMA97 TagaBundok

Im not an expert but the US State Department travel advisory for US Citizens going here in the Philippines is often quite on the mark. :)

3. toxic

toxic

"wait for news advisory on TV" if i were the traveller..This unrest is common back in the Philippines,hopefully things will cool down in a few days.

4. Penman

Penman Goauche User

Thanks, I checked the Consular Information site, and also SOS International's site. Appreciate the input.

5. glockoroni

glockoroni

6. valian

valian

I am an American who travels frequently to the Philippines. My last visit was just a couple of months ago. Americans have little to worry about as far as political violence goes in Manila. The typical worries of street crime in any big city apply in Manila as they do anywhere and a little more just because an American stands out more in Manila than in a big city in the US and as such is a more identifiable target for pickpockets, scam artists etc. as well as beggars because you will be identified as someone who has money and there are many poor people in Manila.

Just stay at a reputable hotel. Use the safe deposit at the hotel. Ask the hotel staff for advice about where it is safe to go, transportation to and from the airport etc. and to arrange for other transportation.
    Don't get drunk in public and be careful of people who want to help you without being asked or want to buy you drinks.
    You will have more to fear from bad water etc. than political violence. Drink bottled water, better yet boil it, make sure your food is well cooked etc.
    You will find the Filipino people are among the friendliest, most courteous, kind and helpful people in the world. In general, they also love Americans so you have nothing to fear from the general population, only from a few crooks like you find anywhere.

Wish I worked for a company that would send me to Manila!

valian

7. Penman

Penman Goauche User

Thanks, glockoroni and valian! Appreciate the help.

8. Allegra

Allegra

Yeah ,as long as he stays away from seedy bars he'll be fine :)
    You can PM the BOGs for reputable bars though ahihihi

9. isuzu

isuzu

Thanks for the compliments, Valian.;)