Bushy M4a3 Good Value AR?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by DaBurna, Apr 8, 2012.

1. DaBurna

DaBurna

What are your thoughts and experiences with this gun? I've never been a riffle guy as I have only handguns & one Mossy 500 pump....I've been reading but not sure as to what AR Representd best bang for the buck? (pun intended) However, one piece of advice I was given was to choose no gun without having 1:7 barrel twist...The Bushy Sitr lists this gun having a 1:9 twist. Is that a deal breaker? Is the barrel replaceable for a 1:7 twist aftermarket wise? What should I expect to be paying for this? Give me some sound advice fellas....

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

Unless you are getting it for under $600, there are much better ARs on the market for the money.

1:9 isn't a deal breaker, unless you have your heart set on using 70+ grain ammunition. Plenty of good loads available in <70 grain weights for self defense and target shooting.

Replacing the barrel to get a 1:7 twist will add $200 or more to the cost of the rifle. Unless you are somehow getting it dirt cheap, you would be better off buying a Colt, BCM or other higher end rifle to begin with.

Bushmaster has a bit of a spotty reputation, however. Plenty of people have been happy with theirs, but there have also been way more reports of problems with Bushmaster rifles than more reputable brands. Once you hit $600-700 in price, there are several options that are better quality. If you are looking closer to $1,000, there are FAR better choices.

3. CLoft239

CLoft239 I Like Turtles

I have one and couldn't be happier. It's been my primary patrol rifle for almost 2 years, and haven't had a single issue with it. I know I'll probably catch flack for saying this, but my bushmaster has been more reliable than the colt m4 I was issued in the military, which normally malfunctioned every time we went to the range. Granted, military issue weapons are hand-me-downs but still, that was my experience.

It's a matter of what works for you. There are fanboys who think whatever brand they like is the end all be all. It's normally difficult to get unbiased responses on a forum, and normally turns into a flame war. Especially when topics of AR's and 1911's are discussed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

4. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

:rofl: At the title. Short answer HELL NO! There are lots of better ARs out there for the same price or even cheaper.

Hint, look into PSA

5. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

There is nothing wrong with a Bushmaster. I have two of them and couldn't be happier with them. I have also not had one single issue with them.

With that said, for the price range that the Bushmaster will be in, you can have a Colt for a little more money and be getting one of the best off the shelf AR's in the process.

YMMV.

6. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Bushmaster used to produce good rifles, when they used to be one of the only names in the AR game years ago. In recent years their quality control has gone down hill while their prices have only gone up.

Today you would be a sucker to buy a Bushmaster, and now with another Obama gun craze going on you are going to get completely screwed out of your money.

7. DaBurna

DaBurna

Been doing some pricing one and was surprised that Wally World has gotten in the game selling Bushmaster, Colt, & Sig 400m??

8. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

Last I saw they are selling the Bushmaster and SIG for $800-900. For that price range, you can get a comparably equipped (and significantly better quality) Bravo Company, or get a slightly better quality Palmetto for upwards of $200 less, leaving money left for mags and ammo.

9. GlockFish

GlockFish Floyd

I think you'll be happy with that Bushmaster. I'm happy with mine. It works as well as the other brands that my friends have when we shoot them.

10. DaBurna

DaBurna

I'm hoping to get a serviceable riffle for around $850-950 max....

I'm NOT:
    -An operator,
    -Mall Ninja
    -Tacticool Dude
    -Nor am I LEO

I'd like to be able to have a reliable platform upon which to build upon and grow with. I don't hunt, and am not totally interested in completions so much per se. I'd like to have a nice M-4 style carbine to enjoy plinking from time to time and can serve for HD if needed....

I've been looking at:
    -DPMS
    -Bushmaster
    -Colt
    -Smith&Wessom
    -SigSauer
    -Ruger

I'd LOOOOOOOOVE to have a Daniel Defense but it's HELLA Exp$$ive!!

11. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

For that price range, I'd strongly suggest looking at Bravo Company, Colt, and S&W - in that order. You can also get one heck of a rifle from Palmetto with budget left over for mags and ammo.

12. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

As I said. There isn't anything wrong with a Bushmaster but considering the prices, I'd go with a Colt.

I have two Bushmaster's and two Colt's. I haven't ever experienced any issue with either manufactures product. All I keep hearing is is how bad Bushmaster is but I have yet to see any of those claims be substantiated.

Every manufacture makes a dud now and then. (Yes, that means Colt too.) There sure a lot of happy Bushmaster owners out there for a manufacture that makes junk. I work my guns hard and have run the Bushmasters in several all day classes in the same manner that I've run my Colts and none of them and I'll say again NONE of them have ever had a issue.

By the way, one of my Bushmaster rifles was purchased about ten years ago and the other was purchased two years age. All have been quality rifles.

I do feel that you get more for your money with a Colt or BCM but not by much.

13. pipedreams

pipedreams "Knowledge Speaks - Wisdom Listens,"

Bravo Company has the following posted on their site.
    we must suspend taking orders until the back log has been reduced.

14. Navitimer

Navitimer

Out of those brands you listed, I would go with the Colt. Mil-spec, great record and a great base rifle if you decide you want to start adding things like rails, lights, optics, etc. Clyde Armory in GA has pretty good prices on Colt's (as well as Daniel Defense, which is what I decided on and love it). Hope this helps!

15. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

The Bushmasters of old that were top tier guns.
    The Bushmasters of now are not even close.

16. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

Both of these.... :goodpost:

17. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Proof? :dunno:

(And by proof I don't mean opinion or internet BS stories that aren't true to begin with. I mean facts and real evidence.)

Good luck! :wavey:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  18. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

I had a Bushmaster 16" with a heavy barrel that was a great shooter. I wound up getting rid of it because a short gun with a heavy barrel made less and less sense for me. I would have kept it if it had a m4 profile or lightweight barrel.

I still have a couple AR's, but frankly, I've lost interest, so I can only tell you mine (circa 2005) was a decent AR. Not sure about how they're doing these days.

One brand I haven't seen mentioned is Stag. I know a few folks really happy with them. Seems a good value play.

19. CMG

CMG

I have a Bushmaster (older rifle, not current production) and it runs great and is as accurate as I can hold.

I also have Rock River, also several years old, it runs great and is as accurate as I can hold.

For my uses that's all I need. YMMV

Bushmaster M4A3 with Bushnell Illuminated 1x-4x 24mm.
    [​IMG]

Rock River A4 Mid-length with Aimpoint Comp ML3 1x 38mm
    [​IMG]

20. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

The Bushmaster would serve you well. As others have pointed out, in the price range you mention, you have about a zillion options; from building your own to buying new or used. Each have plus and minus considerations or tradeoffs, but for your intended purpose any of those you've looked at will do the job. Just depends on availibility, and your wallet that day... and maybe the upcoming election buying surge (again?)

Magazines, kit for cleaning and a few spare bits and pieces, maybe some optics down the road (hence removable carry handle) and ammo. Lots of ammo. Start buying that in bulk now, because you gotta feed whatever you bring into your family. You can trick things out later if you so choose (maybe a light if used for HD).

No matter who makes it, and everyone and their mother now do (which is a good thing methinks), the AR is a well developed kit of parts pretty easily worked on if and as need be.

Buy whatever you can for the best price, shoot the heck out of it. If it has any faults, they'll show up eventually, no matter the maker. Chances are, you'll die of old age before it will.